DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Hobbs Over Starks is because this is the start of the feud, can only go bigger here. Starks will quickly regain the momentum with a promo, Hobbs was in a no-lose situation.

Still say Ricky needed the win more. Have Hobbs get his heat back in a post-match attack to further the angle.

• Like 3

Jamie Hayter was the absolute star of the women's four way. I agree that Hobbs needed the win more than Starks, but that one hurt. The ladder match had some moments, and I was glad to have been proven right as to what Stokely was recruiting for the past weeks. I did not see The Acclaimed and Joe getting the biggest non-CM Punk pops of the night. The Acclaimed are super over, but are they over enough to not NEED the titles?   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Whichever media guy actually asked Punk about Colt is my new hero.

This is straight venom, holy fuck. I wonder what EVP he's talking about.

EDIT: Guess it's Hangman???

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

While The Acclaimed winning the belts would have been a massive pop, I don't think anyone could have forseen the match being that good or The Acclaimed being that over. Swerve and Lee just won the belts less than two months ago so this would have been pretty quick to have them drop the belts. Short of calling an audible mid-match based on the reaction I think having the champs retain was the right choice. With how good the match was you can find a way to hype up a rematch, have it in somewhere The Acclaimed have more of a hometown connection, and then have them win the belts there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, HumanChessgame said:

While The Acclaimed winning the belts would have been a massive pop, I don't think anyone could have forseen the match being that good or The Acclaimed being that over. Swerve and Lee just won the belts less than two months ago so this would have been pretty quick to have them drop the belts. Short of calling an audible mid-match based on the reaction I think having the champs retain was the right choice. With how good the match was you can find a way to hype up a rematch, have it in somewhere The Acclaimed have more of a hometown connection, and then have them win the belts there.

No better place than at Dynamite Grand Slam, both Caster and Bowens are hometown New Yorkers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

3 minutes ago, porksweats said:

No better place than at Dynamite Grand Slam, both Caster and Bowens are hometown New Yorkers.

I can see why but I'd have called the audible here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

I enjoyed the show. Was it great? No, but I enjoyed it. Some of it could have been trimmed as usual and saved for Dynamite/Rampage so the show would have ended a good 40 minutes earlier.

I had no problem with The Joker winning the way that he did. I'm just glad they didn't make us wait till Wednesday for the payoff on that.

Some of these matches tonight while good, did seem like they were just there. Perhaps Chicago is burned out on AEW. 

I wasn't mad with The Joker winning how he did.  Sure it killed the crowd, but it made sense for what was to come later on.

I hoped The Dark Order would win the Trio's titles. They needed that win more than The Bucks and Kenny.

Jade/Athena could have been on Rampage just to save time. This was probably Jade's best match though so I hope they continue feuding. 

FTR/Wardlow vs. MCMG/Lethal was all right. This felt like one of the Dynamite or Rampage matches though.

They should have had The Acclaimed win tonight. That whole Scissor Me Daddy thing is red hot and you should go with what's hot. Unless Swerve/Lee are going heel I saw no point in them retaining.

The women's 4 way was good. Sad Jaymie lost, but Toni winning was acceptable.

I'm glad Jungleboy is officially Jack Perry now. Jim Ross constantly calling him that finally paid off. I want to think this is part of a greater angle with what they did and it wasn't the audible people wanted. Christian Cage is so smug though so it was fun to see him get a new big bad guy monster and him scheme his way to victory. That said they could have saved all of this for Dynamite.

The other trio's match with Darby/Sting/Miro vs. House of Black was fun. I'll never get tired of seeing Sting no sell everyone while he's got the Scorpion on. Stinger Mist was a nice touch at the end. Miro looked like the odd man out after the match so it should be fun to see where he goes and what he does involving them.

The world title match came off I don't know. Like it was missing something. The crowd woke up for it during parts, but it still felt like it was missing something. I just can't figure out what. With Punk winning the belt back I'm really confused as to why they had him lose it to begin with. They should have just built up the unification match for this show.

The ending was great. It paid off with MJF coming back like this. I hope Stokley and the goons are part of some group with him.

Overall not a bad show. Certainly not great, but not bad either.

• Like 3

When they announced that tag title match on Dynamite my immediate thought was "the only way it will be any good is if the Acclaimed win". Turns out that the Acclaimed are *so great* the match stole the show even with the wrong guys winning. Too bad nobody called an audible. Keith Lee is good but it's time for Swerve to go. He's a talented dude but he just offers nothing that 15-20 guys on the roster don't already do better, and watching him go over guys like Starks and Bowens is a real drag. If I was booking this there's no way the Acclaimed don't win the belts in a rematch on Wednesday. Lee and Swerve have been lame duck champs from day one and their breakup has been telegraphed since before they even won the titles. Wish they'd hurry up and get it over with because a Lee vs Swerve singles feud to blow off the storyline doesn't sound any more interesting than, say, PAC vs Kip Sabian.

Bowens' selling of  his knee was the best selling anyone has done on earth since Kawada in the RWTL '93 finals. I never realized until tonight that the Acclaimed are the new Holy Demon Army and Max Castor is Taue, always trying to bail out his injury prone but absolutely driven partner. Lee and Swerve were Doc and Johnny Ace tonight except Johnny Ace circa AJPW was awesome and Swerve was whatever in this match. 

Was similarly baffled by Tony S. describing Starks as "looking like a future star" then 2 seconds later Starks got pinned with a spinebuster. I'm of a different opinion from what others have said on here re: how this match needed to be booked; Hobbs has been protected in tags with Starks typically dropping the falls. Starks also just lost to rookie Hook. He needed to win this and move on to something bigger right away. Hobbs still needs a year of feuding with more experienced guys before it's time to pull the trigger on him, and his size alone will maintain him as a viable challenger to most potential opponents.. 

Was Christian hurt or did they actually plan for this not to be the blowoff match? Was kind of stunned. Not stunned that Luchasaurus turned again, since it never made sense for him to have turned babyface again so quickly, but for Jungle Boy not to defy the odds and beat Christian here. Does anyone really think this feud can sustain another 3 months or whatever it is until Full Gear?

Back to calling audibles: man it was a drag hearing how hard the crowd was behind Jaime Hayter while knowing she had zero chance of winning. Toni Storm is good but has tons of "attitude" and no personality. At least Baker didn't win. 

Back to AJPW: this show made me realize how gaslit I've been for the past 25 thanks to Baba's booking. When people would complain about Marufuji and KENTA being held back in Noah, I would always insist that this was how Kawada was booked, that it took a decade but was painstaking and beautiful and worth all the patience and disappointment along the way. Watching tonight, and watching the Acclaimed get fucked over and Starks get fucked over and Hayter get fucked over and Jungle Boy who I'm not even really invested in get fucked over (and HOLY FUCK would anything really be damaged if you made John Silver a star in one night by having him pin Kenny Omega in that trios match instead of him getting fucked over too??) and hearing the crowd reaction *clearly reflect that in all of the above five cases it was time to pull the trigger on these people*, it really hit home that, actually, all of my favourite Kawada matches are the tag matches where he wins and that the TC classic from 94 always feels kind of hollow and mean-spirited in the end when he loses. If all these people come out on top by Full Gear then I'll recognize that I'm just being impatient and shortsighted and maybe unrealistic, but if we're still seeing garbage decision-making like Jericho and Danielson fighting on ppv (instead of free tv, where this belonged) while Garcia isn't even on Zero Hour...then it feels like maybe some issues with austerity that we typically associate with WWE are threatening to creep into AEW.

Edit: two things I forgot to mention;

1) Ace Steel showing up with Punk was so lame. Forget Swerve and Sabian, get Steel off tv asap. His presence is as irritatingly smug as it is uncomfortable amidst all the Punk/Cabana bullshit.

2) Call me crazy but I thought Cargill vs Athena was fuckin crazy good. Just hard-hitting and go go go. Thought they both acted like it was a big important fight for a title they both want. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

This media scrum is so fucking uncomfortable to listen to. Calling out EVPs and calling Hangman and empty headed dumbfuck. I feel like I'm listening to my parents fight.

The shit Tony was saying about wanting his wrestlers not to like each other seems very truthful now ?

• Haha 1