DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Why did they spend a year letting a bunch of their hot up-and-comers plateau only to put one of the biggest shows of the year on their backs? How much hotter would the main be right now with a traditional sports build? Is Ace Steel going to be Punk’s Don Callis? Why do I get anxious in large cities but if I was in Star Wars I’d want to live on Coruscant? 

Spoiler

2-D8-DBC1-D-A9-B0-4318-9943-376-F1412-B4

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Starks and Hobbs really feels like one of those matches where both guys need to win and neither should lose, which isn't ideal. Neither has a tonne of momentum going in terms of big Ws. Starks feels like he's on the verge of something special but with his popularity, passion, and promos he'd be able to regain his steam better than Hobbs, who really needs to crush people. He's a pretty good talked but he isn't going to get over or build up a tonne of momentum with his talking. It's ass kicking. You can rehab either guy but it feels significantly easier to rehab Starks, especially if Hobbs uses a shortcut when things are desperate to pull off the win. I'm saying Hobbs should cheat to get the advantage and then break Ricky's back. 

What do you think happens? What do you think should happen? 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Starks and Hobbs really feels like one of those matches where both guys need to win and neither should lose, which isn't ideal. Neither has a tonne of momentum going in terms of big Ws. Starks feels like he's on the verge of something special but with his popularity, passion, and promos he'd be able to regain his steam better than Hobbs, who really needs to crush people. He's a pretty good talked but he isn't going to get over or build up a tonne of momentum with his talking. It's ass kicking. You can rehab either guy but it feels significantly easier to rehab Starks, especially if Hobbs uses a shortcut when things are desperate to pull off the win. I'm saying Hobbs should cheat to get the advantage and then break Ricky's back. 

What do you think happens? What do you think should happen? 

I think a "banana peel" finish where Starks uses his smarts to win and Hobbs just made one tiny mistake could work. It's hard, though, because you need to make Hobbs look like he had it won due to his strength, etc., but you don't want to make it look like Starks got lucky. He needs to look tough, too. It's possible, I just don't know how to do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

I think a "banana peel" finish where Starks uses his smarts to win and Hobbs just made one tiny mistake could work. It's hard, though, because you need to make Hobbs look like he had it won due to his strength, etc., but you don't want to make it look like Starks got lucky. He needs to look tough, too. It's possible, I just don't know how to do it.

For the scenario I put forth, I was thinking something along the lines of if Ricky could get Hobbs up for Roshambo, Hobbs eye rakes him and hits the spinebuster but I'm not so sure Ricky can get him up. That's a lot of man.

But yeah, either way, this has to be a razor thin margins kind of win for either guy so whomever loses can look okay in rehab.

Just now, Jiji said:

For the scenario I put forth, I was thinking something along the lines of if Ricky could get Hobbs up for Roshambo, Hobbs eye rakes him and hits the spinebuster but I'm not so sure Ricky can get him up. That's a lot of man.

But yeah, either way, this has to be a razor thin margins kind of win for either guy so whomever loses can look okay in rehab.

I just personally think Starks needs the win more. He just lost to Hook in VERY decisive fashion and has been getting his ass kicked a lot in the lead up to this match.

Feel like you're kind of screwed either way with this match. Hobbs should've beat a legitimate name and not just job boys on the way to losing if that's what's going down. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 9:43 PM, (BP) said:

I’m not as against Eddie going apeshit with King’s Road when he’s working with Japanese talent as some, but I think his best AEW work has been against former WWE talent where there’s a theoretical contrast in styles and card positioning that often makes magic. The AJPW stuff seems to make him happy, so if he has to get it out of his system to some extent to incorporate it in a more restrained way in other matches that’s fine. 

Personally I think Kingston is much better as a brawler than when he tries to go all technical with the suplexes 

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if when AEW gets app'd and streamed like Titan Sports if the PPVs might become a manageable 3 hour length? I understand the thinking of wanting to offer more bang for your buck. Some fans seem to really appreciate that. For me, a 15 match card screams watch on tape delay and spread it out over at least two sittings.  

• Thanks 2

I haven't willingly watched a multi-man ladder match in years. Many, many years. I'm actually tempted here because of the field and because of the possibilities. I want to see what Dante will do. I want to see how much of a jerk Rush will be. I want to see Claudio anchor it.

• Like 4

I'm expecting a good Sunday full of wrestling and not concerning myself with buyrates and views ?

The only thing I'm curious about is why they switched from the Buy-In to Zero Hour. Is it going to be an All Out specific thing?

This show really should have The Young Bucks vs. #FTR III for all the tag team gold: AEW World Tag Team Championship, NJPW World Tag Team Championship, ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA World Tag Team Championship. Instead, #FTR are teaming up with Wardlow in a Trios Match, Kenny Omega/The Young Bucks in a Trios Match and Swerve in our Glory defending against the Acclaimed. All three are inferior to what might have been instead of what we're actually getting.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm expecting a good Sunday full of wrestling and not concerning myself with buyrates and views ?

The only thing I'm curious about is why they switched from the Buy-In to Zero Hour. Is it going to be an All Out specific thing?

Just as you aren't concerned with buyrates and views, I couldn't care what the prelim show is called. But here you go:

“The original pay-per-view that The Young Bucks and Cody and a lot of great independent wrestlers put together at All In before I was involved when they worked at Ring of Honor was led to the pay-per-view with the Zero Hour.

“I thought the Zero Hour is really cool and I actually brought it back when I took over Ring of Honor because it was associated with Ring of Honor and All In. It’s a cool piece of IP we acquired.

“In coming back to this building knowing the history of All Out, the history of All in, it just felt really cool – and especially we’ve had great matches on the Buy-In in the past but this feels stronger.

“With where the roster’s at, the kind of matches we can do in this hour, or I wanted to present something new, something fresh. And being back in this building, I wanted to get the energy of the zero hour back.

“I think the Buy-In is great for Double or Nothing and I might keep the Buy-In for Double or Nothing as a pre-show. In this case, I don’t even see Zero Hour as a pre-show. It’s its own event.”

https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/09/01/tony-khan-reveals-why-he-changed-buy-in-to-zero-hour-before-aew-all-out/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I think a lot of us are expecting the show to underperform as far as buys, but I’m really curious if Zero Hour over-performs for a Buy In stream and if any lessons would be learned in that case. 

I think the (high) number is going to surprise a lot of people. Last two Dynamites leading in both had over a million viewers.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

This show really should have The Young Bucks vs. #FTR III for all the tag team gold: AEW World Tag Team Championship, NJPW World Tag Team Championship, ROH World Tag Team Championship and AAA World Tag Team Championship. Instead, #FTR are teaming up with Wardlow in a Trios Match, Kenny Omega/The Young Bucks in a Trios Match and Swerve in our Glory defending against the Acclaimed. All three are inferior to what might have been instead of what we're actually getting.

I dunno, in sheer star rating terms, sure, but I'd rather see something fresh like Lee and Swerve vs The Acclaimed for the tag titles than have Young Bucks always in the title picture. All three of the matches you've mentioned should be good fun at worst, and we'll get FTR vs Bucks 3 eventually.

The more titles they put on FTR the more of a political minefield it'll be to eventually have them lose any of them, so I see why they're not in a rush to give them the AEW belts.

• Like 1

FTR will mix it up with the Motor City Machine Guns, The Acclaimed are going to be rewarded (with a match, not the titles) for how over they've gotten since the pandemic days, and Bucks/Silver & Reynolds will be fun + Omega & Hangman interaction.

Yeah, I'm okay with all of that.

• Like 3

Khan's philosophy, as gleaned from post-show scrums, seems to be that a lot of people only tune in initially for the top few matches anyway, and will go back to the others later on. I guess that happens for UFC shows, I think he said?

For as down as people are on this show, I think it's possibly the best top-to-bottom PPV line-up they've put together yet. The build might have people unenthused, but it's a lot of stuff we've been wanting for a long time (JB vs Christian, big spotlight for Starks and Hobbs, the Acclaimed graduating to a big PPV spot, Sabian getting back in the mix and showing what he's got to offer), stuff I'm always going to be inclined to enjoy (Punk vs Mox, FTR vs MCMG, a Sting tag match), and stuff I trust to deliver on its terms (Jade vs Athena, everything on the pre-show, the four way, Hangman vs Bucks stuff on PPV for the first time since that Revolution tag, Danielson-Jericho). I think I'm at bare minimum interested in everything except the ladder match. If the things I'm least excited for are the ladder match and maybe the trios titles, then they're in good shape.

It's just a lot, but that's a problem Tony seems determined to disregard so what are ya gonna do.  

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4