DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

Punk working heelish last night was strange especially with the match being in Chicago. There's 0 chance in hell he gets booed in Chicago.

Assuming we get Garcia-Jericho at the ppv where does that leave Danielson?

One of the glaring issues with AEW is they have such a stacked roster that they can't possibly get everyone on the PPV. Which in the WWE with 1 PPV a month isn't a big deal, but when you only have 4 PPV's a year it becomes a problem.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Punk working heelish last night was strange especially with the match being in Chicago. There's 0 chance in hell he gets booed in Chicago.

Assuming we get Garcia-Jericho at the ppv where does that leave Danielson?

One of the glaring issues with AEW is they have such a stacked roster that they can't possibly get everyone on the PPV. Which in the WWE with 1 PPV a month isn't a big deal, but when you only have 4 PPV's a year it becomes a problem.

Before the show, I thought Danielson/Jericho. Still do. You have to have the GOAT there making his one year anniversary joining AEW at AEW All Out 2021.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

Before the show, I thought Danielson/Jericho. Still do. You have to have the GOAT there making his one year anniversary joining AEW at AEW All Out 2021.

Speaking of, when Adam Cole came out instead of Bryan Danielson, I was so fucking pissed saying it's like waiting for Christmas and getting a lump of coal. Thankfully, Danielson then showed up.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

It won't happen this soon but damn would I love Danieson-Claudio at the PPV.  Gentleman's match for the ROH belt.  My favorite Danielson matches are when he's in there with a bigger/stronger guy.  Morishima, Nigel, ETC.  That is where Danielson is at his best IMHO.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

For fuck’s sake.  Between that, bringing everything to a screeching halt asking Taz to spell “jujigatame” during a hot match, and talking about thigh slapping, this guy’s gotta go.

I’d personally prefer the blatantly transparent thigh slaps go.

They’re on national television, not their buddies back yard. They should act like it and learn to wrestle in a way that doesn’t completely expose what they’re doing.

Anyway, Meltzer said the Hangman stuff from CM Punk was Punk going into business for himself.

If that’s true that’s really messed up. I don’t remember anything seeming to go too far in Hangman’s promo, it was kind of standard stuff you’d expect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

It’s worth keeping in mind that Meltzer has been totally out of the loop on a lot of AEW stuff recently and is transparently salty about it.

I wonder if that changes now that Omega is back.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

John Silver posted this during the show so presumably he was there (unless it's an old picture and he was just getting jokes off)

I know he was backstage, yeah... it's why I had "wasn't there" in quotes, because even though he was in the building they could say he wasn't for the sake of TV and his non-presence on Rampage would back it up for kayfabe purposes.

Did anybody notice how Andrade hurt his shoulder? Seemed to happen during the first PiP break. I didn’t notice him favoring it until Kenny’s corner escape, and I don’t see how that could’ve done it, unless it was just a total freak occurrence. But he basically worked 2/3 of the match one-armed.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pedro said:

It won't happen this soon but damn would I love Danieson-Claudio at the PPV.  Gentleman's match for the ROH belt.  My favorite Danielson matches are when he's in there with a bigger/stronger guy.  Morishima, Nigel, ETC.  That is where Danielson is at his best IMHO.

I can't wait for Bryan Danielson vs. Claudio Castagnoli. The match they had as part of Daniel Bryan's Gauntlet match on RAW, 22nd July 2013 is one of the best ever Bryan Danielson matches and one of the best Cesaro matches as well. Of those you mentioned, the match with Morishima at ROH Manhattan Mayhem II is one of Bryan's best ever matches, gave it the full five.

• Like 3

Meltzer is slowly turning on AEW because he thinks it isn't very good as it was anymore. I guess he misses the Super Indy AEW and hates the Super WCW AEW.

28 minutes ago, EVA said:

It’s worth keeping in mind that Meltzer has been totally out of the loop on a lot of AEW stuff recently and is transparently salty about it.

I understand Meltzer’s track record but if it was done for storyline purposes, you would think the announcers would have made clear he wasn’t there or they would have done a quick segment showing him arriving late.

Punk called the baby face former champ a coward in his hometown and he did nothing.

If it was done for storyline purposes, it’s weird booking by Tony Khan.

I finally buckled and subscribed to Fite so we could watch Danielson/Garcia without commercials and it was $7 well spent.  I need to watch it again but I think it's my MOTY so far.  I really dug the story of Garcia winning the first fall (with that sick as hell hammerlock dragon clutch) and Danielson working from behind and needing a roll-up to take the second fall.  Great submission work and blistering stiffness from both of them, as you would expect.  I really wish people would stop doing those hammer and anvil elbows because almost everyone makes them look like shit, Garcia included. 

E: And Jesus wept, that piledriver on Danielson was fuckin' nasty.  Didn't have his head tucked at all.

I'm putting my marker on Garcia quitting JAS but refusing BCC and going out on his own.

I dig heel Punk and I appreciate him playing with the fact that pretty much everyone thinks he's a prick.  I was higher on the pull-apart than most.  I will always dig the "I am going to try every available angle to get to you and beat your ass" thing.  Also seeing BJ Whitmer and Ace Steel out there trying to separate them was a trip.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 8

Yeah, those elbows are not good. Make 'em a Danielson exclusive.

Speaking of bad strikes, the hockey punches were comically weak but man all I could think about during the initial Austin punches phase was My Way. Those were nice.

• Like 3

I REALLY like how they used the Mox/Punk pullaparts to subtly put over Claudio, talking about how strong he is to be able to keep Mox away. It’s the little nuances like that that really help add to character development and momentum.

• Like 10

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  On second watching, the Danielson/Garcia match is lot closer to a BattlARTS match than I first thought.  BattlARTS was the perfect balance of UWF and Watt's Mid-South, that's what this match was.  Matwork leads into punches in the face.  Garcia is Takeshi Ono- a skinny, wiry total dick who was just a thorough asskicker.  Danielson is Daisuke Ikeda, the most horribly violent wrestler alive.  What a great Piledriver.  I wish Jericho was the only one in the announcing booth.  His total focus was getting over the story of the match.  Oh MAN, the best part in the INTERNATIONAL FEED is Danielson firing back on Garcia when Garcia has exposed the concrete and Danielson knows that he can;t take many more DDTs on the concrete in his career.  That was fucking GREAT desperation.  Danielson is so fucking great because he is the most horribly violent wrestler alive but he is also a sympathetic babyface that can wrestle from underneath.  It's just that his babyface comebacks are just hellish.  Like that Spider Suplex.  Fucking awesome.  Then the tope followed by Danielson kicking the hell out Garcia.  THEN Garcia cuts it off by each driving the others shoulder into the ringpost.  Jericho is AWESOME during the Zen Master part- WATERMELON LOVING FREAK!  The part where Garcia tells Danielson to kick him is the Wheeler Yuta part where Yuta makes it into the Blackpool Combat Club.  The problem with Garcia joining the BCC is that Garcia should be fighting the rest of the BCC for the extended near future.  The finish is total Jumbo Tsuruta having to do whatever he can in what's left of his power to keep the unstoppable Misawa down.  Garcia is a fucking force of nature.  Danielson is a force of nature trying to maintain his power.  So fucking good.  Jericho is so fucking good being astonished that the man he MADE has doubts about his decision to stomp on the American Dragon.  Fucking great.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, those elbows are not good. Make 'em a Danielson exclusive.

Speaking of bad strikes, the hockey punches were comically weak but man all I could think about during the initial Austin punches phase was My Way. Those were nice.

Apropos of nothing, I can't imagine how that coffee company must be blowing up now thanks to him. And hot damn if they don't look like getting a bag or two from.

11 minutes ago, Peck said:

I REALLY like how they used the Mox/Punk pullaparts to subtly put over Claudio, talking about how strong he is to be able to keep Mox away. It’s the little nuances like that that really help add to character development and momentum.

Claudio carrying Mox around like he was a toddler acting up at the store was money.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Danielson is so fucking great because he is the most horribly violent wrestler alive but he is also a sympathetic babyface that can wrestle from underneath.  It's just that his babyface comebacks are just hellish.  Like that Spider Suplex.  Fucking awesome.  Then the tope followed by Danielson kicking the hell out Garcia.  THEN Garcia cuts it off by each driving the others shoulder into the ringpost.  Jericho is AWESOME during the Zen Master part- WATERMELON LOVING FREAK!

So does that make Danielson Ross Chastain? Which driver is Garcia, Ty Gibbs or Noah Gragson?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

So does that make Danielson Ross Chastain? Which driver is Garcia, Ty Gibbs or Noah Gragson?

Garcia isn't creepy enough to be Ty Gibbs.

• Haha 1

I usually watch Dynamite in real time or near real time. Tonight I watched purely on the DVR this night.  Punk heeling in the promo was good; not so sure who wins next week but Punk makes the most sense.    Garcia-Danielson was great on every level.  Loved the story telling in the match and after the match. I noticed Steamboat is wearing a hearing aid in his right ear (made me feel old). 

I skipped over the woman's match; I realized that the expectations are now just high given the last few years in WWE in women's era.  

the Acclaimed - based upon the crowd last night wow are they over. So good to see - great story telling here to be had. Nice mid-card feud that has legs. 

Not sure what to think for Omega - how much is real which how much is a work. Which is actually the thing huh? Omega is a better heel.