DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, #2 for the night is terrible. And #9 overall including broadcast TV.

Just the absolute shits. Pack it up, boys.

It's a good number, but not as good as the previous week's. You'd think Punk would have helped. But then, I don't know how well-advertised his appearance was.

4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Seems like a pretty dumb thing to work.  Making your wrestlers looking like petty 12 year olds doesn't really help anyone.

Aren't all wrestlers petty 12 year-olds though? I mean, Kane feuded with Jericho over spilt coffee.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

It's a good number, but not as good as the previous week's. You'd think Punk would have helped. But then, I don't know how well-advertised his appearance was.

It was announced an hour before the show.

Who's the one came out saying MJF had booked his flight out before the PPV with Wardlow? And then MJF showed up anyway and lost 

Can't remember the dude but this has that same feel to it, drumming up intrigue backstage to work the marks into tuning in dying to see how everything plays out only for things to seemingly go down about the way they were supposed to 

Some kinda wannabe reverse psychology to draw in the smarks, but for a new era? Need to read up and go back through the threads but I feel like I've been here seen this already with AEW

Is Cody leaving? Is punk coming in? Did max caster get fired? Oh caster is following wwe accounts now! Is mjf working everyone? 

I dunno, all my opinion ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

It was announced an hour before the show.

I mean.... he returned at the end on the show last week. It would have been pretty stupid not to have him on this week's show. I would think most fans would've expected it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mystman said:

Aren't all wrestlers petty 12 year-olds though? I mean, Kane feuded with Jericho over spilt coffee.

My favorite ridiculous/illogical thing about Kane is that be comes to WWF in the first place for extremely personal reasons involving trying to murder his brother, then after that feud with Taker dies out he's like "fuck it may as well stick around and try to win wrestling titles".

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, #2 for the night is terrible. And #9 overall including broadcast TV.

Just the absolute shits. Pack it up, boys.

Couldn’t break a million, which is what they’re paying him to do…

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Some kinda wannabe reverse psychology to draw in the smarks, but for a new era?

Aren't pretty much all children drawn into wrestling in the first place because they kinda think it's real? Isn't it then some kind of logical next step to try to recreate this uncertainty for adult audiences by use of social media and dirt sheets?

Edited by MrKothoga
  • Like 3

Punk as the frustrated gen Xer wrestler story continues.  The thing is - there are only so many places to wrestle these days. At some point, you get a rep that's hard to shake.  And it's not like there aren't same very good guys hanging around who you can put the title on tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Derp thoughts.

Punk is by far the best part of AEW. Danielson is my guy, Mox and Kingston have encapsulated what I enjoy about pro wrestling, and other stories have captivated me more. But Punk’s emotional return, having fun with his Bret Hart tribute moments, and his stellar promos has been truly special. Out of all the guys who have been out, he was highly missed the most. This is coming from a not-Punk guy. My favorite matches of his in ROH I give more credit to whoever he is with. His promos have always been legendary. He undeniably has it. Maybe the slightly grated beard makes his matches that much better. This run of his has been an absolute treat.

Saying that, if all these stories are true then he is a douche. That’s not surprising and it will likely not hurt his segments for me. He’s likely always been an unlikable person. I’m uncomfortable typing this because honestly who am I and I’ll never know the ins and outs on who is nice and who is a jerk. If he’s pulling a lot of backstage political moves that hurts the show then it’ll turn me on what he brings as an entertainer. If he’s professional enough to use real life to build a HBK vs Hart tribute match with Hangman, neat. But ultimately, he was unprofessional and childish. If Hangman was unprofessional at least he did it to his face (I think that was the promo?). Punk set up a situation for an imaginary confrontation that wasn’t going to happen to dunk on someone. Like Takashi 69 making a tik tok in Chief Keef’s neighborhood for a few seconds and diving in his getaway van before being beat up. 

I’m most interested to see the environment AEW becomes with this level of derp. Any repercussions or will Punk have free reigns to say whatever? Maybe Page gets a punk out (pun) moment? Also, if something that little hurts Punk’s feelings enough to quit, what would the wrestling landscape look like? More Mox? Omega is back so maybe he returns to prominence? Danielson is the best wrestler alive so maybe they ride with that. MJF wildness? Derp? Or likely, nothing happens and business as usual. We will get a Punk vs Mox match that should be a zinger. 

If I were to fantasy ramble: Punk retains and is a gray area fella that is mostly liked, eventually loses to Kingston in an emotional moment, who loses to MJF who is a boner, who will then be taken down by young face of choice (Darby?). 

• Like 4

When you have the best guy on your roster and even better, he's the GOAT, you put your top title on him and have him main event. His name is Bryan Danielson and I think he should have beat Adam Page for the AEW World Championship. I like the Blackpool Combat Club and Bryan working with younger talents but wish he was doing the other I mentioned instead.

• Like 3

I couldn't imagine if every little work squabble I ever had got blown up by some clickbait-driven sub-industry. If every time I shouted at a co-worker a million people started chattering about it. Movie stars don't even have to deal with this shit, musicians hear the stories told well after the tour is done. Fucking hell, every potential pro wrestling beef has to be reported on and magnified by the highest possible factor just for the modern dirtsheet to stay in business.

And this is what my wrestling fan friends want to talk about. They don't want to watch good old matches, take in the finer points of the artform, no. They want to gossip about Dude A's worked shoot on Guy B and how much of it was LEGIT BROTHER. I know this shit permeates the "higher artforms" but it's like every fucking episode of Dynamite is the Gallagher brothers or Herzog and Kinski or more honestly some low-rent reality star TMZ scoop and we'd rather talk about the gossip than the product. This is the post-kayfabe, post-Montreal cancer that ruins wrestling, fuck a Canadian Destroyer. And this stuff and the people who earn a living off of it... I can't imagine how much the Gossip As Industry bullshit drags the entire locker room vibe down. I hope these parties talk it out and I hope I am never privy to the conversation.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I couldn't imagine if every little work squabble I ever had got blown up by some clickbait-driven sub-industry. If every time I shouted at a co-worker a million people started chattering about it. Movie stars don't even have to deal with this shit, musicians hear the stories told well after the tour is done. Fucking hell, every potential pro wrestling squabble has to be reported on and magnified by the highest possible factor just for the modern dirtsheet to stay in business.

And this is what my wrestling fan friends want to talk about. They don't want to watch good old matches, take in the finer points of the artform, no. They want to gossip about Dude A's worked shoot on Guy B and how much of it was LEGIT BROTHER. I know this shit permeates the "higher artforms" but it's like every fucking episode of Dynamite is the Gallagher brothers or Herzog and Kinski and we'd rather talk about the gossip than the product. This is the post-kayfabe, post-Montreal cancer that ruins wrestling, fuck a Canadian Destroyer. And this stuff and the people who earn a living off of it... I can't imagine how much the Gossip As Industry bullshit drags the entire locker room vibe down. I hope these parties talk it out and I hope I am never privy to the conversation.

It's a bit bizarre to me, too.

We just got an all-time great straight pro wrestling match on free TV in Danielson vs Garcia, a perfect example of NJPW Epic Style in the G1 main event, and an announcement that we are getting Mox vs Punk on free TV right away...

...and the conversation seems to be dominated by speculation about Punk's personality, AEW's finances, and complaints that New Japan is stale. I had honestly expected page after page of rapturous celebration of the beauty of pro wrestling and excited anticipation of yet another great match. 

Oh well, folks are free to discuss whatever is interesting to them. And there is more than sufficient discussion of actual wrestling on these boards that it's well worth scrolling through the complaints, fantasy booking, financial and personal speculations etc etc. And all of those things, including the complaining, are intermittently interesting to me as well. 

Just nowhere near as interesting, to me, today, as those great matches and Punk vs Mox... or, really, Hook vs Zack Clayton.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

It's a bit bizarre to me, too.

We just got an all-time great straight pro wrestling match on free TV in Danielson vs Garcia, a perfect example of NJPW Epic Style in the G1 main event, and an announcement that we are getting Mox vs Punk on free TV right away...

...and the conversation seems to be dominated by speculation about Punk's personality, AEW's finances, and complaints that New Japan is stale. I had honestly expected page after page of rapturous celebration of the beauty of pro wrestling and excited anticipation of yet another great match. 

Oh well, folks are free to discuss whatever is interesting to them. And there is more than sufficient discussion of actual wrestling on these boards that it's well worth scrolling through the complaints, fantasy booking, financial and personal speculations etc etc. And all of those things, including the complaining, are intermittently interesting to me as well. 

Just nowhere near as interesting, to me, today, as those great matches and Punk vs Mox... or, really, Hook vs Zack Clayton.

I think Dragon/Slayer might be in a top 5 2 out of 3 falls match list for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It could be recency bias and I don't know if I'll feel the same way in 20 years, but right now I feel like "Top Five 2 outa 3 All Time All Regions" is not the least bit unreasonable .

It doesn't have the same "historical impact" but I enjoyed Dragon vs Slayer at least as much as the famous Flair vs Steamboat or Atlantis vs Blue Panther matches, for example.

• Like 3