DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

You know, it would be really ironic if the guy (CM Punk) who's whole mission statement upon debuting was about the fresh young new stars AEW had that he couldn't wait to work with. However, if you do want to believe and go tin foil hat - I don't believe that Hangman Page was one of the names Punk ever mentioned. This could lead to a couple of thoughts.

A.) Punk really doesn't care if he works with Hangman
B.) Punk had the foresight to think about a scenario like this (which I doubt since it seems so convoluted)
C.) Punk just completely forgot about him

It does seem odd to me that if Punk has heat with somebody it's Adam Page of all people. By all accounts he is one of the nicest, just genuine guys out there. Not to mention (and idk if this would even matter) Hangman is very outspoken on a lot of political stuff that him and Punk seem to agree on which I'd have to imagine a guy like Punk respects. But this is pro wrestling, so who knows. The ABC above would lead me to think that it's a shoot, but outside of that context I just don't see any reason why Punk would hate Page or refuse to EVER do a job to him. Does Punk think he's 2022 Hulk Hogan "that doesn't work for me brother"? I just can't buy it, him and Khan seem to be like two peas in a pod too much for him to be disgruntled here like he was back in WWE.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I just can't buy it, him and Khan seem to be like two peas in a pod too much for him to be disgruntled here like he was back in WWE.

It's still the wrestling business and it's still work. Someone will always be disgruntled and someone's always going to rub someone else the wrong way. It's like gravity, and AEW doesn't exist outside of that force.

Now of course it's Punk, so the Raylan Givens "asshole in the morning" principle is always in play. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, just drew said:

Yeah, I don't know why it would be hard for some people to believe that Punk was being a dick. "Takes himself too seriously" has always kind of been his MO. 

This is why, if this isn't a work, I sometimes pine for a simpler time in wrestling. I'm glad guys aren't working 300 days a year and killing themselves early with steroids and recreational drugs nearly as much, but 30-40 years ago if CM Punk had told Hangman Page he wasn't going to lose to him Hangman might've just kicked his ass, and I've long believed an ass kicking immediately after some of Punk's more petulant moments would do him a world of good...

"Better Call Gall"

• Haha 6

Fightful sent out this addendum and slight modification to the story posted earlier:

CM Punk "may have almost decided to not come to Dynamite" last night, more on Hangman promo
CM Punk challenged Hangman Page to a rematch on the August 17 episode of AEW Dynamite, but according to Wrestling Observer, it wasn't planned. We were able to confirm this.

Punk defeated Hangman Page at AEW Double or Nothing earlier this year before being forced away from the ring for several months. Before that, however, there was word that Punk and Hangman Page didn't see eye to eye on some promo material that emerged on an episode of Dynamite that built their match. Fightful has been told that it was to the point that CM Punk met with AEW higher ups about the context of Hangman Page's promo. Voices of Wrestling had noted that they'd heard that Punk had told others after the meeting in May, that he wouldn't lose to Hangman Page.

Fightful was told by several within AEW that they felt the situation that unfolded on the August 17 episode of Dynamite was "unfair" to Hangman Page if he wasn't aware of it. One said "even if he was aware of it, what would he have done? Charged to the ring past Tony (Khan)? Interrupted a promo he knew he wasn't supposed to be a part of? There was no way Hangman could have 'won' in that situation." We're told Hangman Page was in the building, but haven't heard that he responded in any particular way. Those that we spoke to said that Hangman isn't a confrontational person and is generally well-liked among the roster.

The belief among several on the roster we spoke to was that Punk believed Hangman went into business for himself leading into their Double or Nothing match, and that Punk may have seen the August 17 promo as a "receipt." It's important to note that was locker room speculation as opposed to Punk telling anyone that directly. From Punk's end of things, there was a Hangman promo had alluded to Punk's issues with Colt Cabana happened and didn't set well with Punk. There was also another promo happened during a week where Punk wasn't at the show that accelerated it. They said that Punk's shot at Hangman happened with Hangman present, and that's how that person close to Punk justified it.

Sources familiar with the situation claim that CM Punk has often verbally expressed his displeasure about things, including recently so blatantly that they thought he might end up quitting the company. Those close to him said that he might have almost decided to stay home instead of coming to the August 17 Dynamite, but don't think he would have quit. We haven't been given any indication that he plans on leaving AEW, but one veteran said they have heard of "threats being levied."

Fightful was also told that the Moxley vs. Punk match for the August 24 episode of AEW Dynamite was a late decision. We haven't been told how late, and when we asked AEW higher ups for context, we didn't gain any. We haven't learned the crux of what led to Punk's current frustrations that would have led to him hypothetically not showing up at Dynamite, whether it be the change in the match, Hangman's jab back in may or otherwise.

EDIT/UPDATE: Any aggregations stating that Punk "threatened to quit" do not reflect our report. Any saying that Punk threatened to not show up because of the months-old issues do not reflect our report -- we don't have that information or know definitively what led to that.

As far as who didn't know the Hangman aspect of the promo was coming, no staff were aware it was happening. We're also told Hangman was supposedly unaware as well.

Edited to include clarity on the promos that were said to have caused the issues.

New stuff is bolded at the bottom. So this is all down to the allusion to Cabana in the promo posted on the last page talking about workers' rights? He didn't even come close to saying anything too specific or inflammatory. If that's all it takes to rub Punk the wrong way, then holy shit lmao. Baby back bitch material. I would sincerely hope there's more to it than that. 

Edit: Whatever may happen, if you want Adam Page to be a legitimate star moving forward, there's no fucking way he can lose the next singles match with Punk. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I wouldn't trust VOW, they usually make up stuff.

Where do you get that from? They're not a news podcast. They have some sources, and on rare occasions they'll have a minor scoop that they'll make some hay out of, like this year's G1 having a big man block, but I've been listening to them for years and have never known them to be intentionally dishonest or make stuff up. They'll speculate at length, sure, but they don't pretend that they know things or present themselves as insiders.

I’m personally cool if Punk decided to go home. Never been a big Punk guy. Along with MJF’s shitty Bubba Ray Dudley act, we’re an Adam Cole away from the dudes I don’t care about being off my TV screen trifecta. Split the freed up screen time down the middle between Hobbs, Hayter, Starks and Daddy Magic and call it a day.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

Where do you get that from? They're not a news podcast. They have some sources, and on rare occasions they'll have a minor scoop that they'll make some hay out of, like this year's G1 having a big man block, but I've been listening to them for years and have never known them to be intentionally dishonest or make stuff up. They'll speculate at length, sure, but they don't pretend that they know things or present themselves as insiders.

They always make up shit that gets debunked.

19 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fightful sent out this addendum and slight modification to the story posted earlier:

New stuff is bolded at the bottom. So this is all down to the allusion to Cabana in the promo posted on the last page talking about workers' rights? He didn't even come close to saying anything too specific or inflammatory. If that's all it takes to rub Punk the wrong way, then holy shit lmao. Baby back bitch material. I would sincerely hope there's more to it than that. 

Edit: Whatever may happen, if you want Adam Page to be a legitimate star moving forward, there's no fucking way he can lose the next singles match with Punk. 

I’d argue Page should beat Punk bloody in a decisive fashion.

• Like 2

Hanger alluding to Punk being a piece of shit in real life but acting like he couldn’t tell anyone why was dumb and way closer to genuine character assassination than most shooty stuff. He could have done the work and created an issue or just said what was actually on his mind. Punk can go out and warm up a crowd as the face that runs the place and then go right into cutting a promo where he’s a competitive mega prick, and Page can’t do either. 

I guess I didn’t realize there was heat between them because when Punk got into it I thought it was very kind of him to mention Page on tv in a discussion about the world title picture. Plenty of stars ended their freshman title run by being a outfoxed or outclassed by a veteran draw. Maybe he’ll figure it out; being a charismatic himbo with good comedic timing and a pretty moonsault has taken him about as far as it can. 

• Like 2

Interesting to note that there were reports lots of people were really pissed off about Punk essentially forcing Cabana out of the company because he's very popular and it was really an incredibly shitty and unprofessional thing for Punk to do.

58 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Fully agree with this. If there's ever another Hangman-Punk match, I'll be extremely interested in how that goes.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I second the bolded part, and that's where the basis of my comments came from. Punk, despite wanting to main event WrestleMania and all that jazz just seemed like a guy who wanted to make good music for a bad record company. Now he just genuinely comes off as a prick who believes his own hype... SEVEN years after last fully competing.

"I won't let him beat me" is the most 1980s quote from the wrestling sphere. Like, I didn't think that was still a thing. How ironic it's Mr. Think of the Future pulling that shit out.

• Like 1

Yeah I think we're getting worked here.

Calling him out was an awesome dick move. But also can feasibly be considered as consistent with his character. Is he too insecure in himself to go out and confront the bigger star who beat him for the title? 

Remember when he traded up Dark Order for Jurassic Express because he needed the better credentialled set of friends? What if that's what leads him back to the Bucks? That he needs these guys' assurance and protection to help him face Punk (and FTR)?

Too many notes from the Bret/Shawn playbook, where there's the vague allusions to why they don't like each other in promos, to the outright Sunny Days comments, to refusing to put each other over. Threatening to quit. Surely someone yanks hair out of the other in the locker room next? Punk refusing to lose in Chicago? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Too many notes from the Bret/Shawn playbook, where there's the vague allusions to why they don't like each other in promos, to the outright Sunny Days comments, to refusing to put each other over. Threatening to quit. Surely someone yanks hair out of the other in the locker room next? Punk refusing to lose in Chicago? 

We're hours away from learning Punk said "tell him to get the fuck out of my ring" at Double Or Nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Such a fun show. I was side-glancing last night missing sooo much. Punk was terrific. Coward shit!? Moxley’s great. I initially thought Mox came up short, but second viewing suggests he was fine here, and the pull apart was pretty solid. I hope everyone seeks out the spectacular commercial free Danielson-Garcia!!!!1/2! Some of these backstage promos as of late have left a little to be desired. The Rick Steamboat-JAS confrontation was not one of them. A great looking chop and a ‘Look at me now!’ from Rick Steamboat! Also enjoyed his take on the Garcia situation: ‘I would think Danielson is the better choice.’ Gunns and the Blondes must have lost their running time? Let’s get that Pillman-Brock Anderson team going already. I love the Gunns as a father-sons trio, but am very open to this Stokley association. And who didn’t love the Acclaimed save and reunion with Daddy Ass!? The kind of feel good moment AEW generously provides. The Gunns running away was also terrific! Nice PAC promo. Goddamn I love Pac. Jungle Boy perhaps needs some live mic reps. Christian on the otherhand can do nothing but deliver high quality heel entertainment. I did love that beating Jack put on the wily vet right at the end there. Dug the Wardlow-FTR Pinnacle reference, and am very into a feud with Platinum Satnam, and Jay. Tho, maybe an additional wrestler in place of the great manager Sonjay? Nice return for Kilynn King. I’ve always thought she was better in ring than most of the top players in AEW. Other than Storm, Hayter, Deeb and Riho (is she still Elite?), same goes in 2022. Her presentation looked a lot better here. I can’t imagine they don’t have plans for her. I would not be surprised if WWE signed her away if she remains or is currently a free agent. She’s still young, but such a dark horse (secretly maybe top) talent. I loved this Main Event. Nick Jackson was on fire here. Unreal flow to everything he was doing. Stoked to see Dragon Lee getting a shot in prime time. He’s so talented. As is Andrade and Rush. Jose was really stepping up here. Goddamn I love Jose! And I am absolutely onboard with this Omega ring rust/60% storyline. Love it! Who does Dragon Lee bring in to help get his revenge? Bandido!!? Mostly great this week, but yeah, JR and a 4 man booth is a goddamn liability. That said, this week was kinda as per usual - so much fun! 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

You know, it would be really ironic if the guy (CM Punk) who's whole mission statement upon debuting was about the fresh young new stars AEW had that he couldn't wait to work with. 

Punk has become everything he hated back in WWE.

In his first year he's gone over young/fresh talent in Darby, Kingston, MJF & Page and then had a couple months off without dropping the strap.

He's a part time, special attraction, guy. He doesn't need the belt to have an impact.

Compare that to Danielson and it's absolutely night and day.

Let's be real, the pipebomb wasn't about getting more opportunity for young talent. It was Punk being pissed off that he wasn't the main event.

• Like 3