DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

2 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If they are running Mox vs. Punk early then I really believe Punk is still hurt and this is a pivot.

The idea being that Mox beats him definitively and early because Punk is hurt and that's not something you'd want to give your audience who paid $50 to watch? Interesting take. I hope it's not the case

Seems like most of us are of the mind that Punk is going to win. Should the above be true, letting Mox's run continue is a great thing too. He's been having a career defining stretch of matches the past few months. They really can't go wrong unless Punk wins and he's hurt again.

6 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I boo a faction organized around loving biscuits.

I love Popeyes but you can break someone's orbital bone with one of their biscuits.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

The idea being that Mox beats him definitively and early because Punk is hurt and that's not something you'd want to give your audience who paid $50 to watch? Interesting take. I hope it's not the case

Seems like most of us are of the mind that Punk is going to win. Should the above be true, letting Mox's run continue is a great thing too. He's been having a career defining stretch of matches the past few months. They really can't go wrong unless Punk wins and he's hurt again.

What if they have MJF sneak in and cost Punk the belts? But then who do you have Mox fight at PPV?

I also vote that it’ll be a schmozz next week and that will allow them to book a stip at the PPV (street fight, etc) that gets around Punk’s current physical limitations. And Mox, I mean, he prefers that sort of deal anyway.

The Hangman thing sure came out of left field though. Man that was a late stage AEW Cody-esk left turn of a topic during a promo.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I also vote that it’ll be a schmozz next week and that will allow them to book a stip at the PPV (street fight, etc) that gets around Punk’s current physical limitations. And Mox, I mean, he prefers that sort of deal anyway.

The Hangman thing sure came out of left field though. Man that was a late stage AEW Cody-esk left turn of a topic during a promo.

I was typing this very thing when your post went up. I agree, I don't think they're pivoting to Page or anyone else. It's just going to further the entire "these two guys can't stop fighting and security/the referee core has to get involved". I wouldn't be shocked if it's a cage match or something.

And it's really not that much of a left turn RE: the Hangman shot. Besides MJF, he took shots at Kingston and Hangman, both of whom have called him out on his shit in the past (whether right or wrong... who knows!).

Speaking of Hangman, I think his role in the immediate future is the story of him being torn between the Dark Order and the Elite, and how both teams are in the tournament. He's in the corner of the Dark Order, and no doubt they won't make it to the finals, but Omega being back is interesting for the Hangman/Bucks lovefest from a week or two ago. Hangman will be involved in the finals if the Elite make it that far. I think they will, but I don't think they'll win. Some combination of Hangman being out there, and the story of Omega "not being 100%" will play into them losing.

EDIT: Oh and I'm still convinced Stokely Hathaway is building a group of disgruntled, young AEW talent for MJF. I forget all of the people he's given a business card to, but I think most of them have connections (in AEW) to ex-WWE guys.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

EDIT: Oh and I'm still convinced Stokely Hathaway is building a group of disgruntled, young AEW talent for MJF. I forget all of the people he's given a business card to, but I think most of them have connections (in AEW) to ex-WWE guys.

Let's see: 

Lee Moriarty was Matt Sydal's mentee 
Ethan Page is the former tag partner of Bryan/Kane's anger management counselor 
And the Gunn Club are the nephews Bart Gunn. 

Checks out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Insecure Hangman not defending himself and I’m interested to see what happens. I could very well see it not leading to a title match at All Out but heavily referenced. 

World Championship match next week and I’m interested to see what happens. A non-finish would likely not go over well. I still think we get CM Punk vs Mox at the PPV but I’m excited to be unsure of the actual path. Punk full on heel turn? This is far from out of character for AEW. CM Punk vs MJF’s feud had their first match on a Dynamite before the PPV and we were surprised then but the feud turned out very well. We’ll see, AEW has been hit and miss but I’m pretty optimistic after how good this show.

Parring Garcia with Jericho might have been the best thing that could have happened for him. He is such a great wrestler and has been improving charismatically. You can say whatever about mic work but I feel he just has such great timing and facial expressions. I feel him when I see his eyes. It’s a talent. The future I’m interested in, but he’s good now. His “greatness” will be measured by what all he does in his career and I’m ecstatic to see him on the rest of his journey. Stiff Technical wrestling is the best.

Omega is back and happy to see him in his tough guy Jungle Boy cosplay. On a real note, he is an excellent and unique storyteller. The type of mind you want for long term angles. We saw the seeds planted for his next chapter. I’m excited to see where it goes. 

With Punk, Danielson, and Omega back, I’m very optimistic. The downside is that we were just having a discussion on how to fill more of the talented roster on shows, it will likely be tougher now. But hot dang, the people I really enjoy are back.

• Like 8

I think they might connect the dots for Ethan to the other place through Cody, since he was the guy that wanted Ethan brought in apparently, and then Ethan's "guy" just ups and goes to WWE at the first possible moment he can (even though that's two years after the fact).

• Like 2

Toni/King was decent. First time seeing King. She uses her size well enough, and nearly everything she does looks good. Surprised she isn't contracted to anyone yet between Impact, AEW, and WWE/NXT. Seems like she would be a boon to any of them.

Bryan/Garcia was great. Garcia came out looking so much better here than he did in their previous match due to how well he kept up with Danielson opposed to lucking out on Bryan concussing himself in the middle of whipping Garcia's ass. Loved the bit during the commercial break when Bryan went a combo of Nishimura zen master and passionate badass withstanding all of Garcia's strikes. Really wish we got to hear the live crowd reaction. The post match angle with Jericho was good stuff as well. Not an AEW fan, but that is the type of thing that definitely grabs my interest after a match like this.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 6

Soooo did everyone forget the whole dread we went through during the whole Elite/Good Brothers/Callis period where they were basically AEW's Authority? Cause people sure were cheering Kenny and The Bucks tonight. They're still heels, nothing's changed other then Hangman getting his pride back.

Interesting point I think everyone else passed over - during Wardlow & FTR's promo they mentioned The Pinnacle is still a thing. I was wonder if they just kinda dropped it or where they were going with it. Is Spears still a member? Or MJF? None of them were technically kicked out other then Tully.

Also glad we (kinda) got an explanation from Hobbs about the Team Tazz story, and that explanation is that we don't know why he did it yet. It's better then skipping it over!

What was Tony Nese coming out for before Mox attacked him?

Poor Varsity Blondes, that was a pure burial job for them. Totally called the Gunn Club swerve, glad we've got DADDY ASS back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Maybe, but the production team misses so much stuff because of all the camera cuts so it wouldn't surprise me either way.

I believe Cubs has hinted Omega & the Bucks still hold Hiromu's injury against Lee but Omega seemed like he was telling Dragon he did great right after the three count. Strange scenes. 

I was at that show where Hiromu got injured (and I was at king of indies the night before where dragon lee worked three matches to win the tournament). Dave has consistently said that aew management was backstage at the cow palace and took a very sour view to dragon lee because of what happened to Hiromu. So that would mean three or four key people who certainly don’t have a problem now. I don’t have any conclusions to this but I always thought the reports were a bit weird, and now finally dragon is shining on a tv main event. 

So Bryan vs. Garcia was top-notch pro-wrestling. That triangle counter into the piledriver was beautifully dangerous. All the in-ring action was great really, but the big thing was the fully organic "You're a wrestler" chant at the end. That was one of the most heart-warming things in AEW history with Garcia, Danielson, and Jericho all playing their parts perfectly. They didn't have to force anything, the story just unfolded and the crowd went along with it in the best way possible.

The rest of the show was very 2000 Nitro-ish. The "pissed off main event guy clobbers a jobber on the way to the ring," shooty promos, a couple short matches, the constant pull-aparts, family turning on each other (twice), announcing a ppv match on next week's show, the "we're outta time" turn on Dragon Lee that was not discreet in its setup.

I enjoyed the change of pace, but I hope AEW isn't getting desperate between new network execs and HHH starting the arduous task of righting the WWE ship. AEW has historically been pretty last-minute with their ppvs, so I'm giving TK the benefit of the doubt that there's a plan here. MJF/Punk 3 is about the only thing I think could justify this.

As far as Kenny goes, I'm assuming he's mostly healthy and working a "getting his groove back" angle. He looked like a great wrestler pretending to be bad and his selling of all his specific surgeries was a bit over-the-top. HOB should win it all anyway, and then it gives UE a way back in saying Kenny's washed, until he beats Adam Cole in a ppv epic (that many here are shuddering at the thought of) and goes back on the title chase.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I was at that show where Hiromu got injured (and I was at king of indies the night before where dragon lee worked three matches to win the tournament). Dave has consistently said that aew management was backstage at the cow palace and took a very sour view to dragon lee because of what happened to Hiromu. So that would mean three or four key people who certainly don’t have a problem now. I don’t have any conclusions to this but I always thought the reports were a bit weird, and now finally dragon is shining on a tv main event. 

I was at both of those shows too and I remember freaking out before Lee let go because it was clear he wasn't in control and it was going to end badly as there was little chance Hiromu could get full rotation needed. He's a terrific wrestler who made a really bad judgement call. Lee looked like he went out of his way tonight to ingratiate himself with the Elite guys, but that could've been also playing into the post match beatdown of him being considered weak by his brother and Andrade. Or both? 

• Like 2

Garcia took "sports entertainer" out of his twitter bio lmao. 

For a company that only does 4 or 5 PPVs a year, we really should have a better idea of what All Out is going to look like by now but I'm excited to see where this Garcia stuff goes. Bryan, Garcia, Jericho, and maybe even Mox need a match at the PPV. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I’m also gonna say from my five hours of rasslin today (plus many more from decades):

1) Kenny

2) bryan

3) Okada 

I’ve watched many hours and that is my conclusion. 

For me.

1. Bryan Danielson.

2. Kazuchika Okada.

3. Kenny Omega.

• Like 3