DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/15 - 8/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Vinci/Hayes was good though it wa ssurprsiing to see Vinci a little off at times.

Cora/Roxanne was good. Dug how Roxanne was a house of fire at the beginning, and the ending was solid if not my favorite.

Santos/D'Angelo was fine. Hopefully Santos's loss means Legado finally moves up to the main roster.

Mandy/Zoey was solid stuff with the leg work by Mandy and selling by Stark. A bit iffy on the finish as I'm not sure how it wasn't a dq.

Bron/JD was good stuff. Bron is always great on offense and JD sells it all well while having some good comebacks. Not a JD fan, but that finish put him over strong.

The UK invasion was making me worried for NXT UK, but I'm slightly less worried with them mentioning Worlds Collide. Still would have preferred a different team over Gallus. Bate/Bron has the potential to be great.

1 hour ago, Iron Moose said:

so if they're setting up for another Worlds Collide, the women's champions match is

Hide contents

Meiko v Mandy

... I am ... very, very intrigued.

Davenport was teased so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Even if Meiko participates she is likely defending against someone else.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Have to say as much as I enjoy Mandy I still think the division is ready to move on from her and Toxic Attraction. Even moreso if someone like Blair Davenport is sticking around. I'd rather see TA move up and do damage on Smackdown to Liv and co. than overstaying there welcome like UE and Shayna did.

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder if a UK invasion would include Brookside's daughter. Has she ever been on NXT US TV? Was she in the Mae Young tournament?

She is in the second MYC. She never had a main NXT run. She went to NXT UK after the MYC.

I find the idea that they're running Davenport vs Rose a little hard to swallow. I could see them running a 3-way to get the belt off Rose if they want to move Toxic Attraction up, given there's not currently a baby they want to have beat her.

I would definitely have liked to have seen Noam and Sha appear over Gallus - I'm sure they could get Alicia Fox back in for an one-off appearance, and they could have brought over Mastiff if they needed a 3rd man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SprintingFromAmerica said:

I find the idea that they're running Davenport vs Rose a little hard to swallow. I could see them running a 3-way to get the belt off Rose if they want to move Toxic Attraction up, given there's not currently a baby they want to have beat her.

If Rose vs Davenport is hard to swallow then Mandy Rose vs Meiko Satomura must be like a bowling ball shoved down your throat ?

It is good to see Tyler Bate back on main NXT.  3 years ago he was one of the top talents in the entire WWE. A can't miss star.  But because NXT UK has become completely non-existent to almost everyone except maybe the people in the UK his luster has been gone.  

• Like 1

If you read between the lines of what some people close to Bate have said over the past couple of years, it also seems like Bate had some maturity issues resulting from getting too famous too young. I don’t know what it really means to be “strapped up” for a promotion that seems to be basically dead, but hopefully getting the UK strap means he’s gotten past all that.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

And just so everyone is on the same page - the report is that When World's Collide - which will be NXT vs NXT UK - will be the NXT themed show that is running opposite ALL OUT in September

It could explain why the TV taping was cancelled since what they have in the can I think will take them to close to that time and they can just set up all the matches via the regular NXT show (and social media)

They then can tape again post Sept 4

• Like 1

Holy, I could never watch this current era of Monday Night Raw live. This was a fun next day skim tho. Some good packages, and then a lot to fill time. And lengthly entrances. And the long winded teen drama promos. I like Priest, Balor and RIpley, but no desire to sit thru a lengthy interview session. What could they possibly have to say? I will not know. Tho, the vignette from the back of Rhea bullying the interviewer was nice. I also loved Rey's fiery surprise attack, clearing of the ring. I feel like I might be seeing the rejuvenation of Rey Mysterio? Didn't dig the heat portion as much, but I get it. I don't however get Ripley standing in the way and then bailing out for Rey to go on the attack again. Why wouldn't she just clobber him? I'm into Ciampa having a Superstar voucher. I stopped watching before Miz became much of anything, but I like his work here alongside Ciampa. I'd heard about this Cedric Alexander! Mustafa Ali as well! The Fantastics indeed. I look forward to seeing these guys find some nice roles going forward. I assume tag team wrestling will be a new feature of this promotion. Oh man, Kevin Owens!!! I've really missed watching this dude. Such great offense and the best bump machine. Incredible! Owens is so good on the mic that he makes this WWE style drivel sound good. McIntyre seems like he needed that talking to. Great bout. I knew it was a fuck finish going in so didn't really care. That said, it was far too good with far too many risks to be a throwaway Raw match. I assume they're building to this proper when McIntyre takes the belt. The USOs are good too, huh!? The post match angle went on for awhile, but the rhythms were well hit. I hope Matt Riddle can find a more natural promo style as they go along. I didn't see a whole lot of that segment, but seems like he's on his way to becoming a huge star! Kinda where he seemed to be headed when I saw him in a terrific NXT bout a couple years ago against Roderick Strong. I wonder if they'll pull Roderick up to the main roster and let him shine. I like this Veer Mahan. I can't imagine this was a popular segment for somebody sitting thru the live broadcast, but I liked seeing him here. Lashley-Styles was pretty good. I didn't mind the running time with a couple slight forward sneaks ahead and commercial free. Pretty wild seeing AJ Styles again too. I like this Dakota Kai. Not sure on this Theory character. Seems like he'd be an ROH development on the otherside. Ziggler's good, but he's threat-level-Tito-in-the-90s. I mean - no slouch, but... My hope for this show is a streamlined 2 hour running time and moving towards a more natural approach to promos. H'ch was the quinessential longwinded promo, so I assume that's a stamp upon these shows that one will have to live with. Also, as somebody new to the WWE product, their commentary is so superior to AEW. No waiting for turns. No senile old man. I don't know what Corey Graves sounded like over the years, but he's been excellent on these shows. So too Michael Cole on Blue. I assume everybody likes McAfee. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And just so everyone is on the same page - the report is that When World's Collide - which will be NXT vs NXT UK - will be the NXT themed show that is running opposite ALL OUT in September

It could explain why the TV taping was cancelled since what they have in the can I think will take them to close to that time and they can just set up all the matches via the regular NXT show (and social media)

They then can tape again post Sept 4

So is this the end of UK, or is it actually a way to give it a shot in the arm?

Considering the UK boondoggle was HHH’s vision, it would seem weird on the surface for him to junk it as soon as he took the throne. But when you consider that the primary goal was to smother the UK indie scene and that looks to be very *insert George Bush Mission Accomplished meme*, it’s usefulness may have run its course.

At the very least, having Bate appear with the title belt without the tournament airing seems to be a tacit acknowledgment that the NXT UK audience is so minuscule that most people wouldn’t know or even care.

For those not clicking the link - the story confirms the When Worlds Collide show and that NXT UK will be going "on brief hiatus" after that show

NXT Europe will then launch in early 2023

All the new verbiage HHH is introducing is really something. Sports entertainers are wrestlers, local medical facilities are hospitals, and brief hiatus apparently means “move everybody we like to NXT and release everybody else.”

Well it's either Amale, Flash Morgan Webster, Mark Andrews, Wild Boar and Jack Starz all decided to ask for their release and it was granted, or they were just outright fired. I guess it's possible that all of their contracts expired on the same day too, though.

Edited by Casey