DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/15 - 8/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

NXT UK wasn't a failure,  it was just a "cockblock the UK Indys" brand that is no longer needed. The old global map for NXT did had NXT UK replaced with NXT Europe.

10 hours ago, Quantum said:

NXT UK wasn't a failure,  it was just a "cockblock the UK Indys" brand that is no longer needed. The old global map for NXT did had NXT UK replaced with NXT Europe.

Wasn't really a cock block of just the UK indies.  I mean WXW in Germany was a top promotion until NXT UK.   There were a number of promotions in Ireland and Scotland that were pretty solid that have become almost nothing 

The idea behind NXT UK was “Hey, the UK scene is booming, let’s get all that money for ourselves.” Naturally, that involved killing the indies that were fueling the boom, which they succeeded in. But where they failed was transferring the scene’s success to themselves. They presented a stale, flaccid product that dried up the market double quick.

NXT UK was basically the wrestling equivalent of when an international media conglomerate buys your local newspaper, bleeds it dry, and then shutters it while claiming, “Nobody around here reads the paper anymore.”

No, they just didn’t like your version of the paper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Aside from that, I'll just say, it gets funnier and funnier when Shawn refers to himself as a Kid in any way, shape, or form. 

Congrats to Toxic Attraction on their call up. 

Gigi/Jacy vs. Nattie/Sonya was solid. Was smart to have Toxic Attraction take control as heels. Nattie still gets enough love in Canada that the crowd got behind her and Sonya pretty easily. Bayley and co. were amusing messing with Cole and Pat in front row. 

Dug the backstage scene with Sami and Roman.

The 5-way was good fun. Sami as so amazingly over that anyone who fought him was a heel if only for a brief moment. A part of me wishes he won, but I liked that he didn't lose directly and I have to admit I'm looking forward to GUNTHER/Sheamus a good deal.

Liv/Shotzi was nice while it lasted. Pity we got a commercial in between. The post match attack by Shayna was nice.

The final segment with Drew, Roman, and Sami was decent. Was nice seeing Roman so loved. I think Sami was legit the only person getting more cheers than him. Kind of wish they had a PLE/PPV coming up in Canada because they could easily get something special in a Sami/Roman match.

• Like 2

Just now, Eivion said:

Gigi/Jacy vs. Nattie/Sonya was solid. Was smart to have Toxic Attraction take control as heels. Nattie still gets enough love in Canada that the crowd got behind her and Sonya pretty easily. Bayley and co. were amusing messing with Cole and Pat in front row. 

Dug the backstage scene with Sami and Roman.

The 5-way was good fun. Sami as so amazingly over that anyone who fought him was a heel if only for a brief moment. A part of me wishes he won, but I liked that he didn't lose directly and I have to admit I'm looking forward to GUNTHER/Sheamus a good deal.

Liv/Shotzi was nice while it lasted. Pity we got a commercial in between. The post match attack by Shayna was nice.

The final segment with Drew, Roman, and Sami was decent. Was nice seeing Roman so loved. I think Sami was legit the only person getting more cheers than him. Kind of wish they had a PLE/PPV coming up in Canada because they could easily get something special in a Sami/Roman match.

Already looking forward to GUNTHER and Sheamus beating the shit out of each other. Hope Sheamus wins the WWE Intercontinental Championship at some point but not yet. Sheamus has done nearly everything else. Keep it on GUNTHER unless he's getting into the main event scene.

Cool seeing Roman Reigns getting the love which eluded him for a time. You're right, shame there's not a PLE/PPV in Canada for Reigns vs. Sami Zayn. Zayn has to win the WWE Tag Team Championship with Kevin Owens having won tag titles everywhere else barring the WWE.

Sorry I'm late!  Wedding rehearsal and all.  It's Toxic Attraction!  It's Sonya Deville!  It's Natalya.  Sonya bumps through the ropes to the ringpost.  Natalya flies into the ring steps.  Sonya is our face in peril?  Jacey Jayne is great making Natalya look like a million bucks on her babyface hot tag.  OH MAN!  VINCE IS BACK!  NATALYA LOSES IN CANADA!  Natalya screwed Natalya!  That was good.  I fast forwarded through the five way.  Shotzi and Liv Morgan wrestle a bit.  Liv makes Shotzi look great on offense.  They are getting over that Liv has a bad arm.  Nice Tiger Suplex with a Bridge by Shotzi.  Morgan hits her odd finisher to end a pretty good wad of pro wrestling.  Shayna Baszler was neat being a psycho postmatch.  Okay, I'm watching the five way now.  I didn't know Sami Zayne was from Montreal.  I guess it's cool to establish who is eligible to contend for the Inter-Continental title.  GUNTHER versus any of these guys would be good.  I would assume you put Nakamura in the title picture too.  Ricochet is holding this baby together, bumping all over the ring for everybody.  Sheamus does SYMPHONY of Clubbing Forearms!  Zayne is great as a babyface.  Great nearfall on the Michinoku Driver.  Great nearfall with the Blue Thunder Bomb.  Madcap is our secret good wrestler in this.  Ricochet is really fucking great.  He makes Corbin look like a killer.  Fun nearfalls at the end.  Sami Zayne Terry Funking his way back into the match was fucking great.  Then I remembered that Sami Zayne is the 1995 Terry Funk of the modern age.   Sheamus vs GUNTHER will be good.  That should be a thorough ass beating.  That was a good little episode.

• Like 3

Watched the first WWE tv in goodness knows how long and dug what I saw. Not unrelated, Sami's prominence on the show was a real positive and I echo the love for the Sami/Roman backstage segment. I feel like those are two of the better actors across all of wrestling right now and it's good to see them working off each other like that.

• Like 2

I'm new to this Rhonda Rousey. I enjoyed skimming the opening here, nice Wardlow v Security style, but would not have enjoyed watching this live and in full. Which goes for the current WWE TV in general. Cars arriving and I'm clearly reminded I'm watching WW'HE! Women's tag tourney match was a bit flimsy. Dolan needs some real work, but Jayne looked alright. I'd have been happier with the young team getting the win if they'd looked better as a team. (New viewer here) I get the impression Natalya needs to be freshened up. She seems to have a skillset better than that of a middling placed performer. She'd certainly be a welcome addition to the more in need Wednesday night Women's roster. Didn't get much of an impression of Deville, but had to skim this. More Sports entertainment from Sami Zayn and Roman Reigns. I dig Zayn, but this was completely pointless with mild comedy seemingly focused on a very young demo. Couple weeks in, I wonder if Reigns ever does anything of interest? Ppl seem to like his catchphrase! Yay! Maybe his matches are good? Throwing Zayn in a 5 way seems like a waste, but fuck if he didn't do his damndest to make this special. I skimmed a little, but this was pretty good for a goddamn 5 way. Riccochet is poetry in motion. I sing 'Infactuation and Dance!' I'm interested in this Sheamus (pretty new to me) character and Walter slugging it out. Classic WWE to be handed such an easy feel good moment and not capitalize. Again, cool with the finish leading to the purposed IC title bout, but why not use Zayn somewhere else on the show and let him make a huge moment for the local crowd and worldwide TV audience? Clearly H'eche plays from the tried-tested-true traditional VKM playbook. Goddamn if Michael Cole and Pat McAffee are not leagues better than AEW's 22 man booth! I hope TK watching his competition product clues him into his shows' incredibly inferior commentary. It's an easier fix than he seems willing to make however. The Shotzi-Liv Morgan bout seemed well wrestled of what I saw. Bayzler's a beast. Okay, classic WWE TV Main Event Interview Segment! I couldn't think of one reason why I would need to listen to Roman Reigns or Drew McIntyre talk about their match, so fast forward thru and never stopped. I might check their match out tho. I'm finding these WWE TV shows very watchable with FFWD trigger, but I'd need a reasonable paycheck (tho, I'd accept minimum wage on this) to sit thru this as a live show. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus