DVDVR Message Board

SHE-HULK: ATTORNEY AT LAW (SPOILER TALK)

The Natural

Wife: Is this one of those things where she talks directly to the camera.

Me: Yeah.

Wife: Ick.

I guess this is what the David E. Kelly Wonder Woman show would have been like if it had gotten picked up. I didn’t hate it, but trying to do the flat legal drama look with that much CGI was obviously not a great choice. We haven’t finished the last four Disney Plus series because even at six episodes they wear thin, but we’ll probably stick with it. I’m not above watching actors I like doing cringe in front of screensavers.

I remain generally positive overall, though I will admit there was a point we almost tapped on Moon Knight before the trippy stuff began. I have a feeling this will be overall light and easy and fine. Though I do sort of question the idea of 30 to 40 minute episodes instead of "Night Court Length" or whatever.

Knowing nothing about the character, the comics, etc., I liked it although some of the CGI is a little off (but since it's mostly a comedy it's not a huge deal). Definitely a different tone. Having Smart Hulk probably gave it some comfort notes too.

One of my first comics ever was a Marvel Comics Presents Wolverine that had Logan in Japan, Man-Thing, Joe Fixit, and Masters of Kung-Fu. It was pretty much a What If issue in and of itself. The Man-Thing story was definitely not suitable for a four year old or whatever kid, but then neither was The Punisher #15 which opens with Kingpin dropping a boulder on a guy's head after threatening to crush his larynx. 

EDIT: I was five/six (this is late '88/early '89). My folks might have bought both of them at the same time, matter of fact. The only other one that early I can remember was an issue of West Coast Avengers which was also a #15 and was from '85. THAT one had Master Pandemonium having demons ripped out of his body. You can follow the through-line to what I've been interested in ever since, probably.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Just watched the first episode and thought it was perfectly fine.  Nothing bad, but nothing great either.  Was happy that they managed to keep the origin story to under sixty minutes as that is usually the most boring part of the superhero journey.  Looking forward to what they do with the R&R Express version of Titania.

• Like 1

It was also cool of them to undo the Endgame fuckery and return The Hulk to active duty by healing his withered arm using Jen's blood as a reagent.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Watched this with my daughter and girlfriend over the weekend.  Black Widow is still my daughter's favorite, but She Hulk might be put into contention.

My girlfriend loved the scene mentioned above, especially about the line about "Incompetent men explain my own area of expertise to me"

It was a definite hit here.

• Like 4

Apparently “people” online are mad Jen was able to control the Hulk side so easily when it took Bruce so long to do so. It seems pretty obvious to me that the No-Prize explanation is that’s because Bruce took the brunt of a full on gamma explosion while Jen just got a couple of drops of gamma-radiated blood mixed with hers.  Why would anyone expect the exact same reaction to occur in that instance?

In unrelated news, there’s this:

• Like 1

Wolverine easter egg (right above a mention of Tiamut being marbleized in the Indian Ocean), and a funny nod of Edward Norton being the Hulk.

The end of the show confused me, though. Is that footage of the Abomination/Wong fight old? It'd have to be, right? Bruce's arm was fucked up still in the post-credits scene, and it's fixed by the time we see him in Episode 1 of this. Plus Wong took Emil back to his cell after their fight. I don't know, I'm a little confused with that, Jennifer's reaction makes it seem like the fight is recent, but it couldn't be.

I do like that this show continues what Falcon & Winter Soldier started, in regards to questioning exactly how the Avengers make money, have health insurance, etc. since they aren't a government approved entity or anything. I mean, none of them are dirt poor probably, but I'd imagine none of them except for, like, Tony Stark, were swimming in money either. I like little world building bits like that.

Oh yeah, Hulk in that spaceship that was in the first episode. Skaar incoming, maybe? He's gotta have a really good cell provider to have service in fucking space. I can barely get two bars at my house, for fucks sake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Presumably it’s old footage of the fight just now surfacing, and Emil/Jen will have to explain how he got in and out without being noticed, etc…

I liked this episode. So far it’s been decent world-building. I was amused by Titania, super-powered influencer.  Jen losing via mistrial due to jury prejudice was actually a realistic response to what happened.

I wonder if Mephisto is one of Emil’s seven soulmates (in all seriousness, I’m assuming it’s Elaine and the Thunderbolts).

• Like 1

Second episode was short but fun, we noticed the Wolverine Easter egg on the laptop while rewinding so I could show my wife that Jen’s phone background is America’s Ass. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A different kind of Easter egg: I mentioned that the show was supposed to be like if Ally McBeal was a superhero, and a couple of minutes later Ally McBeal is on the tv in the bar.

• Haha 1

I demand that Megan Thee Stallion become a regular cast member in Season 2.

That is all.

EDIT: And this is your reminder that since Megan Thee Stallion is canon to the MCU, she released WAP with Cardi B during the Blip. It united the world and everyone forgot their personal tragedies, at least for 4 minutes and 13 seconds. Bless up ?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2