DVDVR Message Board

SHE-HULK: ATTORNEY AT LAW (SPOILER TALK)

The Natural

Can't wait for some Daredevil. This show looks good too, don't expect Banner to be in it for more than 2 episodes. Going to try catch this one week to week on the day rather than binge watch at the end. Still haven't watched Moon Knight for example, so this must've grabbed my attention more.

• Like 1

I don't know that a show that's been described by reviewers as the MCU's first out and out sitcom really needs any substantial courtroom stuff. If anyone was going into this, a comedy, expecting <5 minute courtroom drama stuff like Daredevil or something... well, I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Look, this doesn't need to be written by Aaron Sorkin... but this is a fucking HELL of a thing to admit in a show that's ABOUT A LAWYER.  

Yeah...I saw this too and, man, that's not a good thing to admit at all. The other I saw was that it drew more inspiration from Better Call Saul and Fleabag than something like Ally McBeal. Look, I love Better Call Saul and I love Fleabag. I don't think those two flavors mix at all. And there's more to courtroom stuff than just Ally McBeal. Watch some episodes of Boston Legal or, well, literally the millions of other courtroom dramas or comedies out there. Fuck, binge a season of Night Court at the very least.

The more I hear about She-Hulk, the less enthused I get, which is a shame because Tatiana Maslany is great, She-Hulk is great, Jameela Jamil is great, I'm just now very uncertain if this show is going to be good and that's with me looking past the awful CGI.

44 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Look, this doesn't need to be written by Aaron Sorkin... but this is a fucking HELL of a thing to admit in a show that's ABOUT A LAWYER.  

Woah. Jessica Gao and the writing team should watch the courtroom scenes in Daredevil on repeat. That's how to do it.

I’m glad they got the origin story out of the way in the first episode. The CGI doesn’t look all that wonky to me, only a few times did it look weird. Most of the time it just looked like Tatiana in green makeup.

And there is a mid credits scene that has some very important MCU lore, heads up.

• Like 3

Having seen the first four, I think the first episode is the best. I think Tatiana Maslany is perfectly cast as She-Hulk. The rest of the episodes are iffy to me. But this was the origin story episode, and I think it hit all the right notes. 

This is more of a legal sitcom than it is a superhero show. That might work for some. I didn't really read the Dan Slott She-Hulk run I think this is taking many of its cues from. I think it could've been a bit more balanced.

Granted there are five episodes and the second half of the season might balance things out and make things more clear.

Like I was happy to see Abomination and Emil Blonsky again, but what they do with the subplot is just painfully unfunny to me, even though it's all aiming for humor. I'm pretty much fairly in agreement with Dan Murrell on this one.

I think the problem is that the sitcom humor is like from a bad sitcom I wouldn't watch if it didn't have the Marvel label attached to it. I feel like the sitcom material in WandaVision all had a point to it, and it all just genuinely made me feel a sense of dread, that something has been twisted and gone horribly wrong.

I think though we really need a movie or something that depicts how Banner was able to merge his two personalities and how he made peace with the Hulk. The MCU has never really explored their dichotomy at all and why The Hulk personality exists, and it could be a powerful story about how Banner created his Hulk persona to protect him from an abusive father. No Hulk adaptation has ever truly successfully done this.

• Like 1

I read another review on Twitter of the first four episodes that sounded similar to @TheVileOne’s above, so I’ve been more hesitant about this show than any other MCU show this far, especially with the legal aspect.  That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the first episode.  The “You use it. Implied endorsement.” “Don’t lawyer me.” exchange was low key some of the most realistic lawyer banter I think I’ve seen on TV, and the limited firm/courtroom stuff was all fine. 

A lot of really good sitcoms took a season or so to find the out footing, so I won’t be surprised if this is an uneven season. That’s doubly so if they really did start out writing it as more of a legal drama.  I doubt we’ll get my ideal MCU Night Court version of the show, but it has promise so far.

• Like 2

One thing that really ticks me off as of late is a lot of the absolutism on social media with comic book superhero TV and movie hot takes, so I do not want to impose my opinions on others. I see many are enjoying the show, and I think that's fine. IMHO there is a lot to like about the show. I think Maslany is genuinely great. 

But some of the jokes just got repetitive for me. I also can't really say too much else about what I didn't like since it's too revealing, lol. 

• Like 2

This was apparently originally supposed to be like the sixth or eighth episode, but they thought it would give the audience more emotional connection to Jen to be the first.

Everything I’ve read makes it sound like they were really struggling to find the right tone and balance (apparently they even had comic book editor notes that Jen eventually started arguing with at some point of the writing/filming stage). 

Thought it was okay not great. The island stuff prob went on too long. The blood on blood contact seemed too brief to have her get powers. The blood transfusion in the books made more sense.

i don’t have high hopes but I may skim thru the rest of the season. 

• Like 2

Thought the first episode was solid. I dug Maslany as Jen along with the relationship they showed with Bruce during all of the training. They felt like real family which was nice to see. The comedy works so far though its nothing amazing. That said, I did enjoy the bits about Rogers. Curious to see how well they manage the setup they created with the idea of her trying to keep her old life and goals vs. the eventual need for her to be a superhero.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

I thought this first episode was fine.  The CGI was quite rough in the Hulks fight. 

The dialogue too... 

But oddly enough I'm okay with it.  I'm willing to keep going.  

• Like 1