DVDVR Message Board

POLL 8/6-8/12/2022- WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK? Oh yeah, here we go!

DEAN

WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. WHAT WAS THE BEST TV MATCH OF THE WEEK?

• Homicide vs PJ Hawx- NWA USA
    • Konosuke Takeshita vs Claudio Castagnoli- Battle For the Belts III
    • Thunder Rosa vs Jamie Hayter- Battle Of The Belts III
    • AJ Styles vs The Miz- RAW
    • Dolph Ziggler vs Chad Gable- RAW
    • Bobby Lashley vs Ciampa- RAW
    • Dana Brooke/Tamina vs Iyo Sky/ Dakota Kai- RAW
    • Rey Mysterio vs Finn Balor- RAW
    • Angelo Dawkins vs Seth Rollins- RAW
    • Edris Enofé/ Malik Blade vs Pretty Deadly- NXT
    • Apollo Crews vs Roderick Strong- NXT
    • Emi Sakura/Serena Deeb/Leva Bates vs Hikaru Shida/ Ruby Soho/ Athena- AEW DARK
    • Anthony Henry vs Orange Cassidy- AEW DARK
    • Zoey Stark vs Cora Jade- NXT
    • Jon Moxley vs Chris Jericho- DYNAMITE
    • Darby Allin vs Brodie King- DYNAMITE
    • Andrade El Idolo/ Rush vs Penta/ Rey Fenix- DYNAMITE
    • KUSHIDA vs Cody Deaner- IMPACT!
    • Mia Yim vs Madison Rayne- IMPACT!
    • Rocky Romero vs Speedball Mike Bailey- IMPACT!
    • T-Bar vs Mustafa Ali- WWE Main Event
    • GUNTHER vs Shinsuke Nakamura- SMACKDOWN
    • Raquel Rodriguez/ Aliyah vs Shotzi/ Xia Li- SMACKDOWN
    • The Usos vs Drew McIntyre/Madcap Moss- SMACKDOWN
    • Sammy Guevara/ Tay Melo vs Dante Martin/Skye Blue- RAMPAGE
    • The Gunn Clubb vs Beardhausen- RAMPAGE
    • Ari Diavari vs Orange Cassidy- RAMPAGE

Oh man,  it's a three way race when it looked like a run away last Saturday.  BUT THEN!  Jericho/Moxley and GUNTHER/Nakamura happened!  What a time to be alive.  Jesus, there was a LOT of good wrestling this week.  THE MOST EVER!  I think I'm going with Claudio/ Takeshita but yeah, there is a lot of matches to compete with it.

• Like 2

I was sure that Claudio vs Takeasnack was going to completely run away with this poll. I was also certain that it wouldn't merit a mention on The Ringer.

Oh boy was I happy to be completely wrong about that second one!

Will recency bias and bloodlust combine to make me wrong about the first prediction?

CeasaROH vs Cinnesuke is off to a two-vote head start!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went with GUNTHER/Nakamura. That was damn good. Nothing came close to it for me, but I did miss Claudio/Takeshita which probably would have. Actually if we allowed NJPW on AXS I have to admit it would go to Juice/Finlay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Voted for Takeshita vs Claudio. 

Mox vs Jericho was awesome and probably better, but that Liontamer That Said FUCK ALL CLOCKS got really annoying. The rest of that match smoked, though. 

Darby vs Brody was awesome, but was overbooked in the middle. Those two have amazing chemistry and Round 3 better happen. 

Wanted to voted for Jamie Hayter vs Rosa, but they've got a better match in them. 

We are spoiled rotten, folks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Went with GUNTHER/Nakamura. That was damn good. Nothing came close to it for me, but I did miss Claudio/Takeshita which probably would have. Actually if we allowed NJPW on AXS I have to admit it would go to Juice/Finlay.

Well, it is on free TV.  I'll start adding them next week.

• Like 2

Again the live caveat kicks in here so I can't go Claudio/Takeshita, and as good as Dynamite was (haven't seen Rampage yet), I'm breaking with my normal takes and going Cora Jade/Zoey Stark! I hadn't seen any Zoey before as I don't normally watch NXT but I'd seen Cora a few times pre-signing as Elayna Black and thought she was solid and she's only gotten better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Again the live caveat kicks in here so I can't go Claudio/Takeshita, and as good as Dynamite was (haven't seen Rampage yet), I'm breaking with my normal takes and going Cora Jade/Zoey Stark! I hadn't seen any Zoey before as I don't normally watch NXT but I'd seen Cora a few times pre-signing as Elayna Black and thought she was solid and she's only gotten better.

I see you didn't get your high dollar payoff from BIG CINNABON like the rest of us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

Going Stark-Jade, too because I expected Mox-Jericho, Nakamura/Gunther, Coffin Match all to be good, and they all were to varying degrees, I wasn't expecting anything from Stark-Jade and ended up with a great, nasty, hard-hitting match.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

Going Stark-Jade, too because I expected Mox-Jericho, Nakamura/Gunther, Coffin Match all to be good, and they all were to varying degrees, I wasn't expecting anything from Stark-Jade and ended up with a great, nasty, hard-hitting match.

Do you dislike Cora and Stark? Both have looked generally solid-good in NXT.

It's surprising that Zoey/Cora is getting more love than GUNTHER/Nakamura.   NXT is pumping out the women's matches. It's also surprising that so many folks can remember all the way back to last Saturday.

Threw a vote for the excellent Brody King-Darby Allin bout, but no argument from me with the best match leader being Takeshita-Claudio. Curious to check out the 'Gunther'-Nakamura battle. Never heard of these NXT grapplers. Perhaps I'll check out my first NXT2.0 match. Also, kudos to Moxley-Jericho, Luchas-Andrade/Rush and Ciampa-Lashley.

EDIT: Cora Jade-Zoey Stark was indeed an excellent bout, so too Nakamura-Gunther. Sooo much good wrestling.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Do you dislike Cora and Stark? Both have looked generally solid-good in NXT.

Found Stark largely underwhelming to downright awkward before her injury, but have liked her a lot more since her return. Wasn't sold on Cora turning heel since like 90% of her NXT stuff has been her being dominated and battling out from underneath and wasn't sure how well it would translate to her wrestling heel. That's why I found the match such a pleasant surprise!

• Like 1

I think I called Claudio-Lard Lad a MOTYC candidate, and I was chanting “fight forever” and gave it a standing O at home, so that got my vote. I guess in the future I’ll make some time to check out some of the non-AEW stuff. I do occasionally check in on the NJPW show.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Going with Moxley/Jericho this week, great match that had me on the edge of my seat all the way through the post-match. 

The Rocky Romero/Speedball Mike Bailey match weeps bitter tears.

• Sad 1

It really should have been Darby/Brodie but that may have been the worst case of "booking grinding everything to a halt" I've seen in quite a while which sadly undercut it a bit.

I also missed Claudio/Takeshita and all of SD so I decided to go with Lashley/Ciampa. Love what Lashley's been doing for the past couple years and Ciampa bringing up the Harley stuff and the whole "well Hunter is booking now" business made me at least consider the possibility that they would pull the surprise title change which helped some of the nearfalls have much more bite for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Let's make it a 4-way tie for 2nd Place. 

Hopefully, someone else votes for the Dolph Ziggler/Chad Gable's BattlARTS match and we have a 5 way tie.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:12 AM, DEAN said:

Hopefully, someone else votes for the Dolph Ziggler/Chad Gable's BattlARTS match and we have a 5 way tie.

Pretty new to both. Er well 'Dolph Ziggler' I knew a guy named Nick Nemeth when I was hunting down Heyman era OVDub DVD-arr'ahs. I believe this was the first Gable bout I've ever seen, and I've fallen for his fast action grappling charms. I also dig his meathead antics. But already registered one for Darby and the big man.

EDIT: I guess I saw a bit of the three way Gable was in the week prior, but I don't recall it. As is the story of the three way (outside of Tajiri vs Super Crazy vs Little Guido). The FFWD was triggered for most of that first 'statement' show. Less so on week 2, at least during matches.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1