DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/10/2022 - AEW Quake by the Lake

On 8/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, Nineteen said:

I feel like Penta's gotten beat by the "tying his tassles to the ropes" things before, or at least has been in a trouble for it, you'd think he'd get a new mask by now. Match was fun and I know Knox was trying to signal the match was over and who the winners were but he was kiiiiind of throwing up the Ingobernables first while they were doing the pose.... Knox on the take here?

Penta has devolved into hand taunts and losing via shenagains via mask 

Anyway my DVR didn't record this for some reason so thank Miro's God for Youtube!

On 8/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but, and I mean no disrespect to Mox, has he ever gone that length in a match?  He seems to thrive in shorter, violence filled melees.

He could have been full of it but when he did Jericho's pod he talked about his first match in HWA which was 40+ minutes because the vet he was with was like "nah let's just keep going"

On 8/11/2022 at 4:36 AM, The Natural said:

Here:

On 8/11/2022 at 4:43 AM, Craig H said:

Oh fuck. Hopefully it's not her ACL.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:02 PM, The Natural said:

Fuck. Get well soon, Kris Statlander xxx.

Torn ACL and torn meniscus. Get well soon, Kris Statlander xxx.

• Sad 2

Fun show overall. I guess it's going to be Athena vs. Jade at All Out?

That wasn't much of a "return" for FTR. All they did was come out and back up Wardlow. Did Wardlow even need their help? I get that Keith Lee and Swerve are the tag champs right now, but I feel like they could find something more productive than FTR. Not to mention, they made it seem like there was going to be something big in mind for FTR beforehand. 

Moxley and Jericho had a good match. Say what you will about Jericho, but at 51, he can still work a high level main event match, and getting back into shape has definitely helped his in-ring work. Still pulling off a Lionsault and springboard dropkicks. Great hurricarana as well. I'd even argue that this match should've headlined Battle of the Belts III OR even All Out. Just saying, the Battle of the Belts shows are definitely suffering right now and they have no buzz or intrigue anymore. Feels like AEW has abandoned them. These shows should feel like big events.

I know Punk is back and they are starting the build to Punk/Moxley, but is Punk truly ready? Just a couple weeks ago, he was still wearing the medical boot, and he said his foot was in a lot of pain. So I hope he's not rushing things.

• Like 3

Brody King and Darby Allin was fucking incredible! Even with that awful Malakai Black staredown bullshit in there. Between this and the bad promos, I've temporarily sorta kinda soured on Black (but I absolutely don't want that). Maybe he needs to 'literally' sit things out and get that back up and running? Buddy Matthews on the otherhand, wow! Time to unleash that muthafukka! That finish was far too cute to be that fucking effective! Brody King's 'who who who' is a nice addition to the cannonball. There needs to be more 'Darby Allin is the best wrestler' talk. On the first time around at more of a side glance, I wasn't so sure on the Luchas-LFI. Seemed like some good spots that didn't amount to a good match. I was wrong! Second view proved that to be tremendous fun! Andrade and Roosh are one of the more thrilling happenings in AEDub right now! Stoked for the addition of Dragon Lee, and even more stoked for the bout with Kenny and the Bucks. Tho, that said, I'm with the Buck-haters on that awful backstage segment. I can handle in-ring babyface Bucks, but promo-wise they seem to lose all their great fun as babies. Nice try on Cutler for the attempted save of that sentimental tacky crap. Ugh, I've rarely if ever enjoyed the Hangman-Bucks combo skits. The show went a bit off the rails for me until the start of the Main. Excalibur is generally fine, but his selling of dramatic stories and elements always sounds like bad acting. We're really supposed to care that Luchasaurus knocked down Pat Buck? Sadly, these Miro promos have been ffwd fodder as of late. House of Black are a beast in ring, and complete nonsense outside of it. I don't like their crap promos seeping into Miro's. I love the Jay-Sonjay-Satnam trio, but that segment was a miss for me. FTR's hyped return is a run-in? Oh well, always great to hear that theme music. Starks-Solo was pretty middling. I dug Starks' escape thru the crowd, but I'm growing slightly uneasy about Ricky's consistency in-ring as a compliment to his star charisma. Very much hope to be proven wrong going forth. Just so many slight misses on the promos/build side of this show. Goddamn, I will never understand how they think Jade Cargill has any chance of being as great as she can be without reps. Just get her fucking booked every week on Indies in her semi-local area. She's clearly a star, and doing well with her experience level, but she's also nowhere near as good as she needs to be. I hope the Madison Rayne signing fairs far better backstage. The Main Event like the tornado match, didn't entirely work for me on the sideglance watching live. On second view I'm not sure what I even saw. This was, along with the Kingston bout, one of the most impressive Chris Jericho AEW bouts to date. Was a bit less into the Lionheart cosplay, but loved whatever it brought out of him. Even the Boston Crab thru the commercial break worked on this second view. Moxley's 'best wrestler' hype train was looking on the money here. The post match was fantastic! Punk was such a great house of fire! Cool Hand Ange took a beautiful bump on the ramp off that first Punker knuckle sandwich. That staredown bit that closed out the show so often comes off as melodramtic bullshit. This one completely worked! Loved everything Moxley did here - from the sitdown to the flip off to the aforementioned and well loved chest bump with Claudio. Incredible close to the show! All out, I'm in!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

On 8/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, punkenhead said:

Dear God, please no. Miro is a monster and needs to stand alone. Look what happened to King Kong. It wasn't the planes or the fall that killed him, at least according to Mr. Wax Poetically at the Scene. It was beauty.

<Narrator voice>It was, in fact, the fall.

• Haha 3