DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/10/2022 - AEW Quake by the Lake

My question is - at the end there - who threw the bell in to the ring?

I'm surprised if it were a fan was able to get it from the table and launch it that far.

Kingston was nowhere to be seen with the rest of the BCC guys leaving though. That'd be fucking awesome if it was him just being straight up "Oh fuck this guy, here, Mox...catch"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

My question is - at the end there - who threw the bell in to the ring?

I'm surprised if it were a fan was able to get it from the table and launch it that far.

Kingston was nowhere to be seen with the rest of the BCC guys leaving though. That'd be fucking awesome if it was him just being straight up "Oh fuck this guy, here, Mox...catch"

I’m pretty sure it was Kingston. He was walking that way when Punk was in the ring. 

• Like 3

Jesus that coffin match was great and bloody as fuck.  I've never seen a guy walking around with thumbtacks in his belly!  That's Brody King for ya.  Every time I see him do that kind of stuff, I think about the story of how he broke a tooth in a match, went to have it pulled, and the dentist didn't know he actually had a fracture in his jaw near the tooth.  Pulling the tooth broke his jaw.  He had it wired shut and ended up pureeing steaks in a food processor.  Hey, gotta get your protein.

I love how the announcers couldn't get over how well the final spot of that match went.

Mox might as well just blade on the way to the ring from now on just to get the formalities out of the way.  Did he blade his ear?  What a nut.

You can't play up Luchasaurus attacking a "non combatant" as a serious thing when A) Wardlow made a gimmick of it for weeks and B) Anna Jay has been doing it for laughs and did it again a segment or two after this.  (I know that was Charlie Kruel)

There was a spot in the women's match where Madison has Jade in a front facelock and she's talking to her so long I thought she was trying to Lecter/Miggs her way to victory.

I still think the interim title thing is dumb, but the Punk run in and showdown at the end was great.  I feel like it would have been more meaningful if Mox had won the vacant title instead and Punk was coming for the title he never lost.

ELECTRIC HEAD!  Fuck yes.  I'll always have a soft spot for Zombie.  I saw him in concert in a small venue and he stopped the show to casually ask everyone to stop filming with their fucking smartphones and just try to enjoy the show.

Miro going after the HOB will be awesome.

Aw man, Statlander is out again.  And it was her other, non-injured knee.  That sucks and I hope it's not as bad as it could be.  

Dutt is such a crazy hype man that he's out of breath when he gets to the ring.  What a nut.

Hangman sticking with the Dark Order because friendship means something.  Nice.  We're going to have more twists and turns before he and the Bucks are fully friends again.  

Sonny Kiss and KiLynn King are going to be on actual TV!

Parker Boudreaux looks like Brock Lesnar if Brock Lesnar did time.

Death Triangle vs Ospreay & Aussie Open.  Yes, please.

Great show!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

We should probably peer pressure Auteur Octorock (his CHIKARA name) into a road report since PS was good enough to do one last week, but I'm going to hold back lest we end up making everyone do it it and it becomes a chore.

I caught 1/2 of this on my commute, scattered. Basically a bunch of interview segments, Luchasaurs, the Tornado Tag, and the main. Will catch the rest on the way home.

I have nothing to say about the Tornado Tag except for that I'm so much more excited to see Rush/Andrade wrestle non-lucha guys than to see them wrestle lucha guys. Contrast is the spice of life, and way less spotty. I mean, I don't want to see them wrestle the Bucks and Omega. But OTHER non-lucha guys.

The main was very good at first watch. Jericho did an excellent job with just one or two physical overstretch moments (that double underhook backbreaker for one) which you could actually attribute to the character. My favorite moment in this was when Moxley came back because Jericho was inwardly excited about the Lionheart chants. You could tell he was kind of fascinated by it all as an egomaniac character. My favorite theme was that despite asking for it, Mox was really not ready for Jericho coming out with his 1997 offense and that was a wedge to keep control. Other favorite moments were the crab through the break (I still think there should be 3 stages of the move: the regular crab, the one leg in elevated Walls, and then the high elevation, both knees behind the back Liontamer, but what do I know?). Anyway, they kept it compelling all through the break, though I would have timed it a little differently so Mox didn't get out immediately after it ended. And then the finish where Jericho had the better Walls on but was such a bloody mess that he couldn't see or breathe or keep it. Also, after the Judas Effect kick out, Jericho's shock was well acted and believable instead of overwrought and terrible. And I liked how Sammy screwed up the bat shot because while it made Aubrey look just a little dumb, it also covered why that wasn't the finish as Jericho had to rush and didn't get everything he wanted. I wish they had made a bigger deal out of the lionsault but some of that was the announce both trying to get their shit in. Jericho really has had a special 2022 in some ways.

Post-Match was serene pro wrestling, just beautiful, even if I knew Punk was coming. It built and built until Mox threw up the middle fingers, Claudio hyped him up, and then Punk showed off his new muscles. 

I'm looking forward to going back for the Starks match and the Coffin match.

Danielson vs Garcia III (2/3 Falls) should be awesome. Too bad they couldn't get Matt Smith to be the special ref. Storm vs King will be awesome if it gets time but if it gets time, it'll probably die a horrible death with the crowd and the ratings too, as they haven't used King in forever, not even on the webshows, so that's a catch-22. Rampage seems a bit too loaded but full of fun matches. Hurray for AEW.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Bold strategy of the House of Black to send Julia Hart to recruit Miro.  I guess they forgot the part that Miro is married to one of the hottest women in CJ Perry.    Miro was just awesome saying only one women can touch the Redeemer ?

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Mox might as well just blade on the way to the ring from now on just to get the formalities out of the way.  Did he blade his ear?  What a nut.

Not only did he blade his ear after the earring spot, I'm pretty sure he bladed it again in the post match. He was pointing to it in one shot, and there was no blood. Then, when he and Punk did the face-to-face, it was pouring blood.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Matt D said:

We should probably peer pressure Auteur Octorock (his CHIKARA name) into a road report since PS was good enough to do one last week, but I'm going to hold back lest we end up making everyone do it it and it becomes a chore.

I’ll get it up tonight. Got home very late. After Rampage I was tuckered. Dropped buddy off at his home and had a slice (details coming) just after midnight with the wife.

Highlights to look forward to

- my beard being dryer than normal

- selling used camera gear at my company I don’t work at anymore

- regretting not getting nachos and then feeling like I made the right decision 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, caley said:

What was going on with Sonjay Dutt? Wardlow comes down with FTR and Lethal et al. exit the ring, then they show Dutt looking frantically under the ring for something and the announcers even reference it, then he looks elsewhere, then Lethal gets beat up and they leave. 

Yeah that was bizarre. Sonjay didn't run in and get beat up and Satnam didn't even threaten to get in the ring, they just... left. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Log said:

Not only did he blade his ear after the earring spot, I'm pretty sure he bladed it again in the post match. He was pointing to it in one shot, and there was no blood. Then, when he and Punk did the face-to-face, it was pouring blood.

I didn't like Jericho showing off the earring and gloating for what felt like a LOOOOONG time because it was so clear that the clasp was wide open and he clearly just carefully unhooked and removed it from Mox's ear.

32 minutes ago, Octopus said:

had a slice (details coming) just after midnight with the wife.

This sounds like a dirty euphemism and you can just leave this out of the road report please and thank you.  Gotta save something for the DVDVR+ paid tier.

25 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Big children!

I liked the Deadlock shout out on the opposite die of the sign.  SKEEEE WHOAH indeed.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I love Athena.

YEEEESSSS Thank goodness this got clipped as a gif. I laughed my ass off and thought that may be the most gif worthy thing I'll see this year.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DEAN said:

Oh yeah, they overbooked the fuck out of that coffin match, but it was a coffin match and you had to get so that Allin gets his win back and also keeps the angle going.  They need to actually link Miro with STING and Allin now.

You know what's funny about this? A while ago on Twitter I was talking to a stranger about how I hope Darby/Sting get to wrestle FTR again because I loved their first match at Grand Slam, and someone suggested a trios to mix it up this time - I said what about Punk/FTR vs Darby/Sting/??? And the guy goes "Miro. Think about it." I didn't get it at the time but after that sweet vignette last night, I think I'm with you. Man, Darby/Sting/Miro vs House of Black? Count me the F in.

6 hours ago, Ace said:

I hated Joker Sting. He acted more like Carrey's Riddler than anything else.

The TNA segment with the bird in Bischoff's office is some all-time WrestleCrap, it's so bad it's transcendently great. To me, he was more like the Cesar Romero Joker of the '60s, but I definitely see a bit of Carrey in there.

• Like 3

I too have Thursday thoughts on da grapples!

Darby vs Brody fucking rocked. The Sting stuff ruled too. Everyone was chanting "WE WANT STING" and I'm expecting the lights to go out again and instead Sting was in the coffin. Holy shit this match. Brody does a, ahem, KING SIZED BLADE JOB right at the fucking start of the match! I love this fucking guy so much. It sucks that Black's back is fucked six ways to Sunday, but at least they have Brody to do the full time work. DARBY WILL DIE FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT. My god, this guy. Darby killing himself isn't anything new, and yet, it never ceases to amaze me at how he will just annihilate his body to get a match over. I said it earlier, but my thought as soon as this match ended was "Do Mox vs Darby and PUT THE TITLE ON DARBY" if Punk wasn't able to return. We're still due a Mox vs Darby match where Darby wins.

TORNADO TAG TEAM MATCH! Fuck yeah! The best kind of tag match! Weirdly enough, for two guys like La Sombra and Rush who can be stiff motherfuckers, they were laying in some feather light shots throughout the match. I'm not sure if that's a respect thing for Penta and Fenix or a taking liberties thing with everyone else, but I'm sure it's a little bit of both. Even still, the match rocked.

Awwww naw, you done fucked up now Malakai Black. You're going to send in Julia Ghoulia to entice the motherfuckin' Redeemer when his wife is CJ Perry?! Hell no. The Redeemer is a faithful man and a man of violence and he's coming for you, brother!

Dug all of the promos between Mox, Jericho, and JAS. Wished we had a promo from Claudio being super polite. Daniel Garcia might be the biggest scumbag in wrestling. Not only does he have Diaz brother energy, he has some big time Bad News Brown energy too. And that kid is super young. He should retire with no less than 20 world title runs. 

I am thankful for the Rayne vs Jade match because despite how much that match sucked, it gave us the gif of the year with Athena mocking Jade. Someone in this Athena vs Jade match is getting fucked up.

WARDLOW HAS A POSSE AND THEIR NAME IS FTR. The pops that FTR are getting right now are downright insane. Wardlow getting Singh up for the powerbomb is going to be something else. I hope he can pull it off.

The main event was fucking everything. Jericho comes out to Electric Head Part 2 and man, that TRT is really paying off for Jericho. It's truly a fountain of youth for him. And come on, this fucking guy has to at least be on TRT to look like that at his age. Mox is starting to look like all of those pints of ice cream every night are starting to pay off. Dad Bod Mox is the best Mox. So folks, do you like blading and hardways because my god, these two guys looked at what Brody did in the opener and were like, "we can top that." Jericho's nose was already busted and then he splits open his fucking skull and I'm like, "STOP, HE'S ALREADY DEAD!" And Moxley bladed his ear. Jericho's tap out moment made me laugh because he's selling dying in those chokehold and then comes to life enough for a big ol' tap out. Then I'm thinking that should be the end of the JAS and BCC stuff and nope, IT. WILL. NOT. END. Sorry everyone in the BCC, but you've been caught in the Jericho booking vortex of doom where the feud will take a year off of your career and have no end in sight. Staredown between Punk and Mox was cool and Mox should finally be a heel in something and have it be organic.

PRO WRESTLING FUCKING RULES

• Like 8