DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/10/2022 - AEW Quake by the Lake

I was afraid this show was losing a ton of steam in the middle but Madison/Jade overachieved and the main was straight-up PPV main event level. If Jon Moxley is not your Wrestler of the Year then I don't know if you're watching wrestling.

Can't imagine how they're gonna run Rosa vs. Toni back without a title change. But I'm cool with that!

• Like 5

F'N AWESOME night of pro wres tonight! Coffin match was an excellent way to start with a hell of a lot of blood. I liked the Sting involvement and the ending was picture-perfect. I really liked the last Darby/Andrade coffin match and this delivered the goods as well. Tornado tag was fun. Laughed out loud at Cutler suggesting Hangman meant he should team with the Bucks. 

Dug the sequence of Luchasaurus squash then the Wardlow/FTR brawl with Lethal and co..... loved FTR still having Wardlow's back, Pinnacle style. Solid squash for Starks of his former tag partner.  Jade/Madison was rough in parts but enjoyable overall, another good win for Jade.

Thought the main event was absolutely epic. Marked for LIONHEART using his old ECW music, great touch. The unpredictability and feeling it could go either way added a lot to the match. Felt like a real bloody war. Walls of Jericho all the way through the Picture in Picture ruled, the first ever kick out of the deadliest move in all of pro wres, the Judas Effect. Massive pop for Punk's return, didn't see that coming at all and thought he'd be out another few months. Great stuff all around.

And holy shit did they throw a TON of stuff out there for Rampage, next week, and beyond. The trios tournament should be fun, if predictable by the brackets, I like that the Trustbusters made it in. Then we've got Sonny Kiss returning from 2 years of Dark/Elevation, KiLynn King coming in!, Erick Redbeard's back! the AAA mixed tag titles getting defended in AEW, potential Kenny return next week. So much awesome stuff coming up! And to top it off, Bryan/Garcia 2/3 falls! I love that it's taking place on the show presented by "House of the Dragon", the graphics made it feel like that was the name of next week's event so that's how I'm going to treat it. American Dragon vs. The Dragon Slayer at AEW House of the Dragon! 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What a great main event match that was! Lotta firsts. First time seeing Jericho in lionheart tights in AEW. First time anyone has kicked out of the Judas Effect. I'm pretty sure that was the first time Mox has bled in an AEW ring. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong about that. Jericho hit a Thrillseekers level gusher at the end there. Mox bleeding from his ear was sick. Holding the Crab all through pitcher in pitcher was awesome.  

Did Jericho come out to White Zombie?

What a pop for the surprise run-in! face off was goose bump territory.

Our boy @Octopus picked a good one to see live.

There was some issue with FITE at the beginning, my chat buddy got a "no feed from the venue" message too. So I missed tge start of the coffin match. Loved the finish, though. Brody king nailed that difficult bump and roll into the coffin!

Were those issues just in Japan?

I expected to love the tornado tag the most. But I was distracted while it was going on, missed a bunch of the action, and mostly came away thinking "enough with the unmasking already!" 

Jade was effective and believable taking offense. She keeps improving. She could be genuinely great some day.

I.got to see a workhorseman on TV! Jobhoresman, maybe.

The way to beat Starks is to invite him to a wedding at your castle, in my opinion.

The way to beat Solo involves either carbonite or his own son turning on him.

lookie here:

D4iOzC3.jpg

Trustbusters! United Empire! 

No Baybay Fish KOR. Surprised and relieved.

FTR run-in was good fun.

Fans dressed as Brandon rule the world!

BEARDHAUSEN!

BRYAN VS GARCIA TWO OUT OF THREE FALLS!!! YES! YES! YES!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I didn’t hate the middle of the show but it did have a lot of short vignettes and a couple of shortish matches. I like what they tried to do with Jade-Rayne and they were really close to having a really good match.

Brody King isn’t going to be allowed to donate blood for months after the amount of plasma he spilled. No true spurts, just a constant wave of blood pouring down his face and onto the floor for most of the match. He had a lot of thumbtacks stuck in him too, while Darby just had random cuts and scratches everywhere. A little overbooked but a fun ending, and I’m glad I got to enjoy another Darby match where he didn’t die or get paralyzed.

Tornado match had some fun moments, probably the most I’ve liked Penta’s work in a match. Rush and Andrade are fantastic bases for the high flying moves. That said, I wanted a true tornado where you come in when your partner leaves/is thrown from the ring, not a free-for-all.

Jungle Boy needs to watch out, they’re leaning towards a Garcia-Anna thing and we all know how wrestling love angles go...

Main event was quintessential professional wrestling: a great story told by the wrestlers in tandem with the announcers, blood, a slow, steady build, believable near falls, selling, things that looked hurty, guys busting out desperation moves, heel shenanigans backfiring (kind of think Jericho went hardway at the end), and the whole time a sense of not knowing who was going to win until it was done. I was actually almost in tears (but it’s also been a hard couple of weeks so I’m prone to strong emotional reactions).

I was expecting it to be Danielson so when Punk’s music hit my jaw totally dropped and I marked hard. Good lord that pop was deafening. And then the stare down. PPV sold on that image alone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I was expecting it to be Danielson so when Punk’s music hit my jaw totally dropped and I marked hard. Good lord that pop was deafening. And then the stare down. PPV sold on that image alone.

Really neat fake out by announcing Danielson is in the building and he was the obvious choice to make the super save after the first round of cavalry was taken out. 

Saw a tweet saying Jericho is having one of his best years and whole I think the character stuff hasn't been that great he has had four of his best matches of his career in 2022. That was an incredible turning back of the clock. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dog said:

Has Brody King always been this good? He took that super yoshi tonic like he's done it a thousand times before.

No, he was definitely not this good. I am so glad he learned or somebody told him to cut the cutesy agility spots out of his repertoire. Also, Darby can make damn near any big man look great so I am gonna hold off on massive praise on king until he starts doing well with people other than Allin. I didn't like the Mox match but he's still come a long long way from one of the worst matches I've seen in PWG (bola vs PCO). 

• Like 3

Yeah, Omega is back. Punk is back. Danielson is back. Meltzer said the goal was to have the big dogs healthy for autumn going into tv deal negotiations. Business is about to pick up.

Sure looks like we are getting Ospreay vs. Omega interactions in round 2. They really gonna have Hangmin cheerlead? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Really neat fake out by announcing Danielson is in the building and he was the obvious choice to make the super save after the first round of cavalry was taken out. 

Saw a tweet saying Jericho is having one of his best years and whole I think the character stuff hasn't been that great he has had four of his best matches of his career in 2022. That was an incredible turning back of the clock. 

Something about being older and having to reel it in some, rely more on stories and selling and gimmicks, but still having the ability and muscle memory to pull out some surprises. And for all our griping, he’s laid down clean for Mox and Eddie and let Yuta go toe to toe.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

If it's my choice, work some injuries over the tournament so Hangman has the awkward task of being a substitute for the final. 

Real smart. Reynolds has the head injury from the Butcher and Blade attack recently to fall back on. 

• Like 2

Okay, watched the other two matches. The Coffin match was a whole bowl of fun. They had some balls in deciding to do three enormous batches of blood on the show. Brody not getting the second table set up during the PnP surprisingly helped the psychology of Darby getting a break from the beating. I'm not so sure what is so scary about a 60 year old man who wasn't exactly spry in getting up out of the coffin but that's Sting's own Psychology for you. He has Obi-Wan Jedi wrestling powers over others after all these years. The finish really saved the match's bacon in that it was perfect. 

As for the Tornado Tag, it was a solid spotfest. Rush and Andrade are so much stiffer feeling than the other two; they'll fit in fine with anyone else in the promotion. I'm still not happy with Andrade's candy striper/old timey baseball player pants though. The only guys who've ever pulled off pants with stripes are Terry Funk and Steve Harris and both still look stupid wearing them. Him kicking the mask hanging off the rope was hilariously great. And hey, we get Dragon Lee at last!

• Like 2

Was really hoping Brody was winning there but I guess All Out is gonna be Kings of the Black Throne vs. Sting and Darby, or a six man with the full group and Miro too. I get that Darby has cooled off and they should start building him up again I just want good things for the Church of Dutch Satan. Julia's look is really great too, I just hope she updates her ring gear too since it's a little too close to the cheerleader look and she should be moving away from it. She's really confident as a promo too these days, I loved that segment with her and Miro in the back after. They spent so long showing Murphy from the back and the way he kept his hood on for a second I was thinking it might be a surprise Miro too.

I feel like Penta's gotten beat by the "tying his tassles to the ropes" things before, or at least has been in a trouble for it, you'd think he'd get a new mask by now. Match was fun and I know Knox was trying to signal the match was over and who the winners were but he was kiiiiind of throwing up the Ingobernables first while they were doing the pose.... Knox on the take here?

Dragon Lee! 

Maybe Kenny?

Madison and Jade was great, she's a great addition and hopefully if she has a hand in creative we'll see a little more out of the women going forward. Ruby and Athena were great signings so might as well like... do more with them. Hoping Athena dethrones Jade at All Out.

Ricky Starks is awesome.

"Grandpa Ass." Stokely, also, is awesome.

I love this little unspoken thing going that Danhausen just knows everybody and how easy he was with "okay I got the big bearded guy."

Totally popped for Jericho bringing back White Zombie, main was fire too. A shame we finally got the Judas kick out too. I know Jericho took a minute to get over there but I liked that it was one of the bulletproof finishes in the company. Also, maybe not do a finishing hold during a REALLY long commercial break?

Friend pointed out that Punk has a little Rick Grimes look going now. Him and Mox should be great, hope we at least get the Autumn of Punk for what we lost this summer... of Punk.

Danielson/Garcia 2/3 Falls Next Week.... good gravy AEW just keeps on giving

Edited by Nineteen
Forgot Stokely
  • Like 3