DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/8 - 8/14/2022

Dolfan in NYC

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

Absolutely howling @ HHH bringing back everybody who helped tank black and gold NXT for his astounding new vision of WWE.

Further existential proof that if we were all given a second chance at life, we would do the same dumb shit all over again. We cannot be helped.

Maybe it will work - ratings are up for the first few weeks of the Triple H era - but, yeah, Trips booking probably isn’t going to do a lot for me personally.  I have zero desire to watch Lumis again and Karrion Kross interests me only slightly more.  

it could be worse.  Meltzer thought the women’s gauntlet match would go an hour and Alvarez was fantasy booking Ciampa winning the title with Gargano’s help.  That would probably be worse.

I thought they’d put together a decent lineup for the women’s tourney, but… not really.  Personally, I think the women’s division is a wasteland after you get past Asuka and what’s left of the Horsewomen.  Maybe Shirai but I don’t think working the Alexa’s and LIV Morgan’s of the roster is going to do her a lot of favors.  

The beginning with Bayley and co. was a little weak until Bianca and friends came in for a brawl at the end.

Seth/Dawkins was solid-good. Glad to see Dawkins getting a good showing on his own. He will never have the charisma of Ford, but he is damn talented and deserves a chance to showcase it.

Balor/Rey was solid. Poor Dom continues to be Rhea's bitch and is living the life some of Rhea's fans wish they had. 

Io/Kai vs. Tamina/Dana was far better than expected. Tamina seemed to be motivated and looked pretty decent. Io and Kai are already showing some solid chemistry as a team. Still even if the matches manage to be solid-good you can tell how halfass this tournament was put together. I  wish they built the teams up a few weeks like they did the Women's Dusty Cup in NXT this year.

Ciampa/Lashley was good stuff, far better than expected with the hijinks worked in decently.

Dug what I caught of Gable/Ziggler though I missed a bit.

Miz/Styles was good fun. Lumis getting such a subtle return was surprising. Curious to see where it goes.

Not entirely sure where people are getting the idea that the current people being brought up or brought back tanked NXT. AEW and NXT just being a part of WWE in general did that. Black and Gold became too much of a super indy appealing to hardcores. Many of those fans understandably left to AEW once it got started. More to the point the talent with the most mainstream appeal already found their way to AEW. The reality is HHH is using whose left as far the men go. Black, Lee, Swerve, etc. are in AEW for the next 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Great nearfall by Tamina on a Samoan Drop.  Though she is Fijian.

She is part Samoan as well.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I was just thinking how Chad Gable might be the modern Owen Hart, he literally gets every half-assed gimmick or tag way more over than it ever deserves to be. He comes in with Jordan as American Alpha, WWE decides Jordan is the star (he's taller!) and splits up the team leaving Gable rudderless. They put him with Benjamin, it seems to be getting over they send him to Raw. He does nothing, ends up taggiing with Roode and riding that all the way to tag titles (I did NOT remember this btw had to look it up!). They split that team up by drafting him back to SD, he feuds with Corbin, gets the incredibly stupid Short G gimmick over, they drop that storyline. He ends up with Otis in a team that's not really going anywhere and he starts bragging about his degree and yelling "SHOOOOSH!" and he's over like crazy again.

I wonder if we'll ever see a Gable main event run. 

----

I figured tonight when Ezekiel got the no-entrance treatment that this might be the end of this gimmick. Owens destroying him him for the stretcher job would seem to suppor that idea. 

I enjoyed this show. I still wish they'd just be 'Judgement Day' though, the "The" that precedes it is stupid. If it's a copyright thing, just change the group name, its not THAT good of a stable name anyways.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Balor/Rey was solid. Poor Dom continues to be Rhea's bitch and is living the life some of Rhea's fans wish they had. 

Some of them? At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if Rhea couldn't make more money outside of mainstream wrestling in all honesty.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, caley said:

I figured tonight when Ezekiel got the no-entrance treatment that this might be the end of this gimmick. Owens destroying him him for the stretcher job would seem to suppor that idea. 

Ezekiel also got squashed by Omos on last week's Main Event which really isn't a good sign for his character

So, I’ve been thinking about my NXT comment from last night. I was surprised it got as much push back as it did, and I was prepared to be really snarky about it this morning. But then I realized that part of the problem may have been that “black and gold NXT” was too broad of a descriptor to accurately capture the era I’m thinking of and might have caused some confusion.

I was thinking of amending it to “USA-era NXT,” but that, too, still encompassed a period of time where there was still some hopefulness about the product, still some occasional bright spots. 

Then it hit me: I’m talking about MOTHERFUCKING SKULL LOGO NXT. I think that might be the true line of demarcation, past which it was painfully clear that HHH had totally lost it.

Although, as I’m thinking about it now, I feel like we were in the MOTHERFUCKING SKULL LOGO era before that logo actually debuted. We were definitely already there in spirit when they put the belt on Kross.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ezekiel also got squashed by Omos on last week's Main Event which really isn't a good sign for his character

I kind of hope it just brings back the Elias gimmick. I'm a fan of that character, and dude's a solid enough worker in the ring. I don't think he should be relegated nonuse or being a jobber. 

I didn't think I'd be back after last week suggested a better show, but not so much for me. This week I knew better how to navigate the show with my trusty FFWD option. No stopping for long promos by ppl that I either don't trust to deliver or don't like. I also recommend skipping those long entrances (with those hilariously bad graphics). I enjoyed seeing Kevin Steen Owens again. Dug that non-finish, his laughter, and his mildly good promo. Speaking of laughter, of the less tolerable variety, not sure I'm ready for a full Seth Rollins match, but dug what I saw of the few highlights I chose to stop upon. Those Street Profits are both impressive - are they included in the NXT invasion hate, or were they around long enough to lose their H rub? I honestly tuned in mostly to see Balor-Mysterio. I don't know Balor all too well, but have dug the couple NJPW matches I saw. I was curious how Mysterio was looking these days. Very good as a matter of fact. 47 years of age and now with an amusing v-neck tattoo. Well, Balor-Mysterio proved I can enjoy a WWE Match in 2022. The shenanigans were brief enough, and I didn't see much of that longwinded pre-promo. I did catch that Balor is 'Danger!!!!' And cool that they're scheduling matches in advance. The Mysterios-Edge promo was kinda funny. As @DEAN mentioned, that counter on the three amigos was neat. Caught the closing moments of the Women's tag. Io Sky seems pretty great. And then I really liked another WWE match in 2022, when Ciampa took 'Big Bobby Bodyslammer' to the limit (unnecessary note: that's a take on a nickname of a hockey peer I knew known to his 'mates as 'Big Bobby Buttslammer'). Really, really good. What's the knocks on Ciampa? I've only seen him a handful of times. Once researching the incoming (to AEdub) FTR, and his tag match (one of the best I've ever seen) here in TO against Ciampa/Gargana. Anyway, I think I really like Ciampa, curious why others do not? I'm guessing shitty WWE booking posing as good reason? Wait, then Ziggler, whom I've barely seen since he was Nick Nemeth in OVW, and Chad Gable, who I always hear praise for. Well, I get the Gable praise! He's fucking awesome! Ziggler looked good here too. Loved that leg sell. Good match here again. 3 good matches! I'd had my fill by this point, and tho I dug the earlier Ciampa/MIz promo, I'm wary of this Miz. I imagine he's better than I assume. I like Styles in ring (or what I saw years ago), but if I'm honest the flatearther, homophobia, etc. talk has been difficult to ingnore. I think I'd like to move passed these thoughts tho. I doubt he's any worse than many of my favorites, and seems to be well liked by his peers. Oh, there was also the numbskullery of blaming Heyman for the Good Boys firings. Again, it doesn't feel quite fair to expect anything from a wrestler. These guys live in these unhealthy bubbles. And there's a reason Bryan Danielson sticks out like a deliciously sweet honeydipped thumb. That said, I only caught the closing moments here. Seemed like there was some good momentum built up. I don't know Dexter Lumis, but I kinda sorta liked the odd fan arrest thing. I would never wanna watch this show live as it seems like it would be painful, but the right edits (maybe I missed some good things) made it an enjoyable Tuesday morning adventure over a delicious cup of coffee and a peanut butter and chocolate chip larabar. I wanna recommend that combo, but it's addictive! My advice to others like me who have had no interest in WWE in years (for me, about 15) is learn how to properly edit (it may take a week) and trust your instincts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I kind of hope it just brings back the Elias gimmick

This makes sense. "Brother" Zeke gets injured, stays out awhile to grow a beard, reappears as "Brother" Elias gunning for revenge. 

For all these apparently good matches every time I turned on Raw last night I just got talking or Seth Rollins' idiot face on the screen. Bad luck I guess. It's recorded though, might dig through it later. Should I really watch a Ziggler match because DEAN said it was BattlARTS-ian? What say you?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

This makes sense. "Brother" Zeke gets injured, stays out awhile to grow a beard, reappears as "Brother" Elias gunning for revenge. 

For all these apparently good matches every time I turned on Raw last night I just got talking or Seth Rollins' idiot face on the screen. Bad luck I guess. It's recorded though, might dig through it later. Should I really watch a Ziggler match because DEAN said it was BattlARTS-ian? What say you?

Yeah!  It's TOTALLY BattlARTs.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I feel any Dolph Ziggler match is worth watching. (This one especially).

• Thanks 1