DVDVR Message Board

WWE Clash at the Castle - 9/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I know alot of people are going to say there's no real change based off McIntyre not ending the show as Champ but it's probably more of a case of what they have planned for Mania as far as who's going to Dethrone Reigns. It's not a case of having the Heel go over the hometown (Content) challenger for heat like Vince did. I would've liked if atleast Sheamus had went over but no real complaints. I really liked the 6 woman tag and Rollins vs Riddle too. It was good to see it start out with them trading blows because WWE has had alot of personal feuds where guys start out with a lockup or start out trading holds. It bugs me and to me I'm looking for Hunter moving away from some of Vinces tropes that even promotions outside of WWE have taken on in the past 20 years or so. Same thing I've looked for in AEW and they have. Get away from some of the same wrestling tropes that Vince and even all the way back to Russo that is tired 

• Haha 1

Really great show overall, but soiled by Tyson Fury showing up at the end. He is to me like Hulk Hogan is to The Natural, except he hates an even wider range of minorities, and has contributed precisely nothing to pro wrestling.

Still, loved seeing Imperium reunited, and lots of high quality matches in front of a huge, red hot crowd, I'll take it.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I don't think I've ever heard an open discussion of ring strategy like that and it was really awesome to see.

Check out this timestamp:

Spoiler

The strategy was "Hit Black Gordman with three shoulder tackles!" and didn't work, but I love Moondog Mayne writing plays up on the mat for Piper and Bass.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

I thought this was a great show, not perfect but very good in-ring work. 

Sheamus vs. Gunther was as brutal as I hoped ! 

The main event was insane in some good ways and also some bad ways but overall it was solid..  im not sure where I fall on the outcome. Drew winning in that spot would be a huge moment but it'd probably be no more than when Luger beat Hogan. 

I'm not sure I can say Drew is the guy.. someone has to beat Roman but I'm not 100% sold on Drew. 

• Like 3

Had to check out Gunther/Sheamus and yeah. The audio on my bootleg was sadly delayed so I just watched it in silence and it was just as brutal. Dug the pre-bell greatly, Sheamus' babyface fire was working after they established that you may can try for Hansen vs. Hansen but somebody's gonna have to have less of an edge. The guy dumb enough to beat his own chest while it's pouring blood was probably a good decision. 

And DAMN did they pack a house for that show. After seeing the ovation for Sheamus it'll be fun to see the deflation for Drew on Raw. 

• Like 1

Have they ever sold the 'Extreme Rules' shows with Heyman as such a focal point of the promo? This seems like a simple logical and smart move. Dug the promo. I hope the show has some traditional Philly vibes. In general, they're really doing a bang up job of promoting the different cities they're filming in. Kinda assume that's a new regime era move, but correct me if I'm mistaken.

For shame DVDR, yall are just gonna give Sheamus a pass for sandbagging every German and Powerbomb in sight? Felt bad for Walter. He was giving his body up 100% to take the beating. But Sheamus was sandbagging, and flexing on chops (makes them hurt less, but takes away the sound). Have you ever seen a Walter match where his chops were all thuds? Guess my opinion doesn't line up with the majority on this one. That's okay. Happy to see Vincci there with them and Imperium whole. A six man tag here would have been so fucking good.

Dom helps Rey & Edge win. Dom turns on them. I guess I'll have to wait on the explanation for a final determination but seems like there's a logic gap there on the reasoning.

Seth's gear is getting so weird. Elton John mixed with a giant chicken man. love it lol.

I loved the idea Casey pitched with Theory getting cut off at every attempt and losing the case due to the time limit running out. It's never happened and it's the perfect story beat to get him closer to his vastly more entertaining NXT character. That punch Tyson threw looked legit great. Wonder if he just nailed Theory without pulling it.

The main was very good. Man Drew needs to go back to that first theme. That shit was dope, forgot how good it was. It was a deflating finish but it was the right one. Drew is very good, but he's not the guy. It's a shame he's a victim of timing. He could have possibly been the guy if he got crowned at WrestleMania by beating Brock. But Covid said uhh uhhhhhah. But what in the actual fuck was that weird drunken karaoke sendoff?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dumb way to end the show. Even dumber to have Drew singing with Tyson Fury and saying he’s going to go party. 

McIntyre is never going to be the guy. WWE cemented that tonight.

Sheamus vs. Gunther was match of the night and a potential match of the year candidate. Gunther is a potential monster champion if they play their cards right and don’t screw it the frell up.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

For shame DVDR, yall are just gonna give Sheamus a pass for sandbagging every German and Powerbomb in sight? Felt bad for Walter. He was giving his body up 100% to take the beating. But Sheamus was sandbagging, and flexing on chops (makes them hurt less, but takes away the sound). Have you ever seen a Walter match where his chops were all thuds?

You know, I was thinking the noise on the chops wasn't coming through because it was such a big building, but I guess Flair wrestled in quite a few big buildings and still had loud chops. (Also the ring would be mic'ed, and all that)

• Like 2

Sheamus/Gunther ruled as expected. It reminded me of something in between Regal/Finlay and Kobashi/Sasaki.

I love that Matt Riddle and Austin Theory got their first names back. Hopefully the trend of guys losing their first name is out the door with Vince.

One thing I see hasn't changed is WWE losing their penchant for dogshit ppv main event finishes. Sadly, I don't see those going anywhere since that was pretty much all of HHH's peak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, eikerir said:

Couldnt watch live as it’s my birthday today which meant a lot of family time and a slightly unhealthy amount of donuts. Five stars tho.

Belated birthday returns. Sounds like you had a good un. Did you a shout out in the Happy birthday thread.

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

How was the pre-show trios bout? Gunther-Sheamus was as good as everyone says. Not many better than Gunther. This may have been the first full Sheamus match I've ever seen, and I was thoroughly impressed. I liked Cole(?) referring to the Walter chants as fans of Gunther's past (or however he put it).

Ranked in order from best to worst:

1. Sheamus vs. GUNTHER. Clash at the Castle 2022. *****.

2. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan. Extreme Rules 2012.

3. Sheamus vs. Cesaro. Clash of Champions 2016.

4. Sheamus/Cesaro vs. Dean Ambrose/Seth Rollins. No Mercy 2017.

5. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Kane vs. Wade Barrett vs. Sin Cara vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel. Money in the Bank 2011.

Honourable mention to Sheamus vs. The Big Show. Hell in a Cell 2012.

6 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Really great show overall, but soiled by Tyson Fury showing up at the end. He is to me like Hulk Hogan is to The Natural, except he hates an even wider range of minorities, and has contributed precisely nothing to pro wrestling.

Still, loved seeing Imperium reunited, and lots of high quality matches in front of a huge, red hot crowd, I'll take it.

Thank you and I'm with you.

Drew McIntyre looked a right idiot having a sing a long trying to send the fans home happy after he lost the chance to become Undisputed WWE Universal Champion.

5 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Rollins' Elton John entrance gear was a billion stars.

FbwObCbVEAAMKIz?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

That sing along shit would have been fine as post show off the air shit. I have no idea why they aired it live. And I can come up in my mind reasons for almost everything wrestling promotions do that don't not make sense.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

What's that metronome I hear? 
Perhaps the end is growing near. 
You never hear the shot that takes you down...

I wasn't sure about ending Roman's reign at this show but once the music hit, I was ALL IN for it. Hell of a match. Going in to the show, I expected Drew losing via Kross but as the match progressed I was more and more thinking Drew had it. 1000% bought the final Claymore as the finish, definitely didn't see Solo coming. The story beats of Drew killing the Bloodline on SD and Brock killing off Heyman so that Roman seemingly had no one left was well done. As much as I wanted it, if Roman had to retain, I liked how they went about it at least. Sad that Drew will have that stigma attached to another all time fav of mine in Luger. Loved the Fury/Theory spot. Cody was/is still the best choice of all. next challenger: Tyson Fury.

Pretty good show all around even with just 6 matches. Cole bringing up Asuka and Iyo's past in Triple Tails was amazing and the best part of that, great night for commentary. Gunther/Sheamus was epic as would be expected, glad they got all the time. Giovanni Vinci randomly being back with them was out of nowhere as I thought he like totally changed characters but cool.  Liv/Shayna was better than the mess with Ronda last month but finish felt weak. Didn't expect much from the Judgment Day tag as they generally do nothing for me but it was actually awesome. Edge/Rey are still great together, loved Cole referencing that they were a team 20 years ago. Edge doing the 619 ruled, excellent finish. Didn't love the post-match turn but at the same time, BIG DOM is WWE's new top heel let's go! Judgment Day's reaction to it was the best. Thought Rollins/Riddle did a really good job conveying the hate proper for their grudge match, good stuff. 

"Out of time.....so say goodbye!"

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2