DVDVR Message Board

WWE Clash at the Castle - 9/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Really solid show but that ending man...... Drew finally hits the claymore in what should have a been total catharsis and.... I guess Kross is next for Roman?

Gunther/Sheamus totally delivered. That was one of those performances where you look at the winner and feel like holy shit how do you beat this guy?

Damage Control looked great together, so glad Dakota and Io finally getting to show what they can do on the main stage

BROKEN DREAMS~

• Like 2

Good show overall. Sheamus/Gunther was easily the best match of the night and the best WWE match I can think of this year. There's an alternate universe out there where Sheamus got released in 2010-2015 and went to Japan and killed it.

Drew and Roman are both stale to me but they had a fantastic match. I get they aren't going to let Roman lose to anyone who isn't Brock but Drew going over here would have been massive.

• Like 2

I don't know who is next for Roman, and I don't really care much since I only watch the PPVs (usually at work, with my co-worker who is a lapsed fan) but it seems pretty clear that it won't be Karrion Kross, right? I mean, he flew across the ocean to just throw a water bottle at Drew McIntyre. I don't expect Roman to drop the title until after 'Mania next year - in a perfect world (for WWE), after he beats the Rock in the main event.

No clue what they were thinking with putting the MITB on Austin Theory, but it's as clear as day that he isn't going to be one of the people who has a successful cash-in. Have they ever had someone hold it for an entire year and never cash in? I don't think they have. I could see that happening. Theory tries multiple times, always gets thwarted somehow, and eventually loses the chance to do so because they're about to hold another MITB.

• Like 1

Bayley/Io/Dakota vs. Bianca/Asuka/Alexa was good stuff despite some off moments. Really liked how Damage Control worked together so much and the announcers pointing out it being their strong point vs. Bianca's team.

GUNTHER/Sheamus was fantastic. The two beat shit out of each other, and I dug seeing GUNTHER in control for so much of the match with Sheamus working from underneath and surviving on passion. Was good seeing Sheamus get the well deserved standing ovation post match.

Liv/Shayna was pretty good and a nice showing for Liv. She sold her arm well enough and showed plenty of spirit surviving what Shayna threw at her. I dug Liv trying to get some submissions and how Shayna never shrugged anything off, but showed her level of experience by never quite being a full blown danger from any of it along with having an idea of how to counter every time.

Edge/Rey vs. Finn/Priest was good. Both teams delivered some nice work and moments, and I dug how Rhea and Dom played into the match with the Mysterios finally getting a little payback. Dug the post match turn by Dom as well with him attacking both Rey and Edge for not giving him his credit for the help he provided. The kid murdered his own father with a lariat. That was awesome.

Seth/Riddle was kind of perfect with tons great action and Riddle being such a house of fire throughout but that also proving to be his undoing.

Roman/Drew started slow and built into something great with how they played with the crowd and really built into the idea that Drew had Roman's number. Only thing I probably would have changed was Roman getting help from Solo, but I guess it protects Drew.

Thought this was a fantastic show overall. The crowd was hot for damn near everything. The weakest match was probably still very good with both GUNTHER/Sheamus and Seth/Riddle being easy MOTYCs, and that is with me not being fond the participants of the latter match. The booking wasn't perfect, but it was probably the best we have seen in this new HHH era so far. Sheamus taking the IC title as the last belt he has never held is something they can build a bigger story on, and GUNTHER is still early in his run as IC champ. Was also great seeing Imperium reform. Liv had the performance and match she really should have had with Rousey at Summerslam. She came out looking way stronger and more over with the crowd. Drew winning the title would have gotten a massive pop here, but it also would have been pretty dumb. Drew is already a made man and doesn't need to end a two year title reign. Give that to someone who it can be a bigger deal for (Sami, Ford, Bron, fuck even Cody). I continue to enjoy how Theory is thwarted every time he tries to cash in. At this point they really need to either have Theory do a straight forward challenge and loss on Raw or have someone take the briefcase off of him like we saw with Kennedy years back.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

This was great

Who knew Dominick was miscast as a luchador this entire time and is destined to be a mulleted southern heel brawler. THAT was a lariat. Is he the new Dick Slater?

Southern California heel brawler? 

How was the pre-show trios bout? Gunther-Sheamus was as good as everyone says. Not many better than Gunther. This may have been the first full Sheamus match I've ever seen, and I was thoroughly impressed. I liked Cole(?) referring to the Walter chants as fans of Gunther's past (or however he put it). The suspension of disbelief needed to be ratcheted up a level for Shayna-Liv. I only skimmed the rest of the show, and not really that curious to see anything else on the main show outside of the Ladies trios. Definitely gonna watch that in full. Only caught the end, but had a strong suspicion a WWE safe finish was coming in that Main.  

24 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Who knew Dominick was miscast as a luchador this entire time and is destined to be a mulleted southern heel brawler. THAT was a lariat. Is he the new Dick Slater?

I've been seeing a classic Mike Judge teen character, which I was digging, but even more impressed by this, as you aptly put it, 'mulleted southern heel brawler'. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

I didn't finish watching yet. But from I did:

* Watching two big dudes blast the hell out of each other for 30 minutes in front of a hot crowd will always work. What I liked about the most about the match was how simple it was: A really unique stare-down in the beginning as their alliances brawled; Gunther beating the crap out of Seamus to a memorable degree; Seamus showing fire in the comeback; a few good near kick-outs that happened because each guy was selling exhaustion. A simple formula executed to perfection by two really excellent workers.

* The pre-show match was a lot of fun and a good time. When did Madcap Moss get really good? 

* I love loved loved the woman's six-man. Just a great story where a better team beat the better collection of individuals. I loved the spot where after the heat segment, Bayley realized she was about to lose control of the match. So she told Dakota she was going to tag her and told her to drop down. Hot tag, with Bayley ending up eating it on the floor after an apron flip from Alexa only for Dakota to smoke her with a dropkick. I don't think I've ever heard an open discussion of ring strategy like that and it was really awesome to see. I also really liked this one spot where Bianca was about to do her back handspring and Dakota and Io ripped her arms out from her while she did. Damage Control rules.

* Shayna/Liz was decent. I like it on paper as a good "clever underdog babyface against a dominant physical heel" matchup. But like someone said, you have to suspend your disbelief a bit. Liz needs to have better strikes. Her doing some springboard move is fine but there needs to be better transitions from Shayna having control to Liz doing her comeback hope spots. 

• Like 2