DVDVR Message Board

AEW Battle of the Belts III - 8/6/2022

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

What is up with that weird pause in between his first and last names there? It's like he was gonna stutter and caught himself. Either that or wanted to say "motherfucking" and realized he couldn't. 

It's Claudio GOD DAMN Castagnoli.  We'll all POP when he finally says it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

What is up with that weird pause in between his first and last names there? It's like he was gonna stutter and caught himself. Either that or wanted to say "motherfucking" and realized he couldn't. 

Probably still getting used to having two names again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

It's kind of funny that Britt's on air shot at Rosa is calling her a sandbagger. And then Rosa goes out there and sandbags a brainbuster so bad she breaks Hayter's nose with her knee. That was rough to watch. Props to Hayter to finishing that match with a crooked nose. I'm over Rosa. It's been all downhill since she got the title. I hadn't considered the four way match as the next PPV match but now that it's been mentioned that seems most likely. I'll take a win from any of the other three please.

Also one of Takeshta's big false finishes was a brainbuster (that looked amazing). Why are AEW agents not talking to each other? With how important a role the brainbuster played for Takeshta, no reason the match going on before it should aslo have used the brainbuster for a false finish. Not sure how that got through. Or maybe AEW doesn't care as much about overlap like that? But that stood out as odd to me. Great main event tho. Especially that last 5-7 minutes of great near falls.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Also one of Takeshta's big false finishes was a brainbuster (that looked amazing). Why are AEW agents not talking to each other? With how important a role the brainbuster played for Takeshta, no reason the match going on before it should aslo have used the brainbuster for a false finish. Not sure how that got through. Or maybe AEW doesn't care as much about overlap like that? But that stood out as odd to me.

That’s been a problem since AEW started. 

Remember a year or so ago when like, 75% of the matches on the show had a poison rana in them?

• Like 4

I can't remember off the top of my head who said it, but I agree entirely with whoever here recently said that Rosa's got a case of the yips. It's gotta be either that, or her famously hectic schedule is catching up with her. She's lost a step in a major way, and while I'm all about letting her find her footing as a new champion, if it's getting unsafe it's time to shut her down. Put it back on Britt for a month (which very nicely gives her the ability to talk endless shit about being the first 2x women's WHC) pull the trigger on Jamie's turn at All Out, and have her go over Britt for it at Grand Slam.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

one of Takeshta's big false finishes was a brainbuster (that looked amazing). Why are AEW agents not talking to each other? With how important a role the brainbuster played for Takeshta, no reason the match going on before it should aslo have used the brainbuster for a false finish. Not sure how that got through. Or maybe AEW doesn't care as much about overlap like that? But that stood out as odd to me. Great main event tho. Especially that last 5-7 minutes of great near falls.

4 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

That’s been a problem since AEW started. 

Remember a year or so ago when like, 75% of the matches on the show had a poison rana in them?

Either on the podcast or in an interview somewhere last year, Tony Schiavone said that he notices that when he's calling matches and would love to be able to help out with things like repitition and continuity, so I'm hoping his recent promotion aids in reducing these occurrences

• Like 1

Both Hayter and Takeshita use the brainbuster as false finishes (did Takeshita use it in DDT frequently? I don't remember). Hayter's been doing that since she showed up in AEW. I'm fine with it if it's a regular and important part of one's repertoire. 

Fuck, that inverted brainbuster of Takeshita's is disgusting.

Is that what Excalibur was referring to as the Cinnadriver, I think it was?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

That's where Jamie Hayter broke her nose.

I thought she hit her head really hard on the mat, like it bounced hard. Not sure what part of Rosa hit her in the nose to break it, looked three times and didn’t see any contact.

apparently it was her knee, guess I was focused on an elbow.

Edited by JLowe

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Both Hayter and Takeshita use the brainbuster as false finishes (did Takeshita use it in DDT frequently? I don't remember). Hayter's been doing that since she showed up in AEW. I'm fine with it if it's a regular and important part of one's repertoire. 

Fuck, that inverted brainbuster of Takeshita's is disgusting.

Is that what Excalibur was referring to as the Cinnadriver, I think it was?

Cinnabomb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Cinnabomb

This is the Cinnabomb, learned from Cole Radrick who uses it as Lil' Sebastian's Curse

Edited by porksweats
added cole radrick's name for it
  • Like 1

I didn’t tape it, but I did get home from a party in time for the west coast feed (and recorded that as well). Really enjoyed it all, in different ways.

I like that we got to see Wardlow sell a little and be hurt, I don’t want another Goldberg/Cargill. Not to mention it was 3 on 1 and he still got a convincing win. The pop for the eventual power bomb on Satnam is going to be massive.

I saw some of what people say about Rosa moving slower, but I thought it was a good, stiff match with only a few minor hitches. I wanted Hayter to get the surprise win, and I think the course of the match made it so the crowd would’ve been good with it as well. But here’s the thing: we can gripe about Rosa being stale and out of sorts (she’s got a lot of tape on her lower back and side mostly hidden by her tights), but she gets a bigger reaction from the crowd than just about anyone in the division, especially kids, and sell merch. It’s still a business, and she does business. Also, Britt Baker calling her out for sandbagging is rich considering Baker mopes and drags her feet when she’s going to lose a match.

The end of that match sets up some possibilities: Hayter arguably kicked out at 2.999. Hayter was distracted by Baker getting involved outside the ring. 

And then the main. MOTYC candidate. Crowd was super hot for both guys and they fed off that. I was chanting “fight forever” on the couch and gave them a standing O. I’m gonna miss Lard Lad, and while I think he’s going to be happy to be home for a while I’m pretty sure he’ll be looking for a long-term work visa. I’ve said it many times, as has @The Natural, but how in the hell was Cesario not a multiple time world champion in WWE? Looks, talent, build, maybe not the best talker but he has a natural charisma.

Would be really neat if Soup’s last AEW match was against Danielson, after which he becomes the leader of BCC Japan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ahhh, NOW I get it... Regal also called Mr. Man in the Mask "a fine truffle" so if that one can be explained, please and thank you. I'm guessing it's just a high compliment because a good truffle found in the woods is definitely worth something. 

I'm gonna watch this again when I find the INTERNATIONAL FEED later on tonight. 

I'm guess he talking about the chocolate candy not the fungus pigs find in the woods

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

Mox is now Arn Anderson and the Blackpool Combat Club are the Four Horsemen.  Claudio is Barry Windham.

So Regal is JJ Dillon, Yuta is Tully, and Bryan is the straight-edge vegan alternate universe Flair?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JLowe said:

So Regal is JJ Dillon, Yuta is Tully, and Bryan is the straight-edge vegan alternate universe Flair?

Hemp wearin', Prius ridin', glider flyin'...

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Man, imagine that actual feud though. Yuta Vs Tully, Mox Vs Arn, Windham Vs Claudio, Flair Vs Danielson, Mox/Yuta Vs Tully/Arn, War Games, promos, Regal and Dillon shenanigans.

Anyone else not want BCC to add any more members? I mean, maybe a female representative. But I feel they have the perfect dynamic and number right now, and adding anyone else, even though there are other wrestlers that fit the bill, would just be overkill and in danger of watering the concept down.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Man, imagine that actual feud though. Yuta Vs Tully, Mox Vs Arn, Windham Vs Claudio, Flair Vs Danielson, Mox/Yuta Vs Tully/Arn, War Games, promos, Regal and Dillon shenanigans.

Anyone else not want BCC to add any more members? I mean, maybe a female representative. But I feel they have the perfect dynamic and number right now, and adding anyone else, even though there are other wrestlers that fit the bill, would just be overkill and in danger of watering the concept down.

I think I like the idea of it becoming a mentality that is spreading outside of the faction, rather than becoming a huge faction.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I'd be for Tim Thatcher or Biff Busick joining, but I kind of feel like they'd need to kick Yuta out for that to happen.

I was thinking it'd be fun if they just went full heel and ran roughshod over AEW, just destroying everyone and fucking up matches, etc. But then, you need someone compelling to finally stop them, and I just can't think of who would be good for that. Like, I don't want to see a fully-reunited Elite of Bucks, Hangman and Kenny do it. I just don't know who'd make sense. Maybe Yuta puts together a group of young guys and they do?

• Like 1