DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 8/5/2022

7 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Pretty Peter Avalon- THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW!

His high knee against Nemeth was brutal. And agree that might be his best blue Thunder bomb. But my favorite move is still his explosive shoulder tackle, he launches like Lester Hayes hunting heads.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

1) Tell us what you ate, and where, on the way to the show.

2) Give us some backstory (something funny that happened on your trip, something going on in your life, someone you met, background about the atmosphere at the show/merch you bought..)

3) Tell us about every single match on the entire card.

4) Epilogue, including thoughts on the experience and anything interesting that happens after the show.

Here's the Porksweats DVDVR Road Report Live From Grand Rapids, MI

Did I eat? I actually didn't, I took an adderall this morning to help focus on a big file at work so I was pretty content from some Jamaican Jerk Chicken from my work's bistro. As I've mentioned, I actually live downtown here so the arena was only a few blocks up to walk.

I would've gone earlier and attended the meet and greet to see The Acclaimed, Danhausen and Shida but I had to wait for my wife to get out of work (luckily she got out an hour earlier so we could get there to catch the Dark matches!) 

We got some pretty strong seats, we weren't floor but we were only a few rows up from the floor, eye level with the turnbuckle tops, and only had 2 rows in front so even if there was standing, we were barely obscured. You know what I did eat after all, we both got some draft labatts paying out the ass, seriously they were cheaper in Detroit which is crazy and my wife got a pretzel that I had a few bites from. 

We did miss the first Dark match because we were checking out the merch, didn't see anything that called our names so we got our seats and sat down as Vickie Guerrero was saying that her stable of Vickie, Nyla and Shafir are the Beast Of Burdens? Seems like she should swap that.

We got a Kris Statlander match next, did not catch her opponent's name. She made quick work of her and ended with a big boot but when she did, her other leg buckled and she hobbled back to the back after, I hope she's alright.

Justin Roberts hyped the crowd between, asking if we wanted Sonny Kiss, stating they're always listening backstage for who we want and we were all going crazy for it, which leads to Kiss coming out with two other wrestlers I sadly didn't catch the names of either. Their opponents? The Trustbusters! Slim J made us all believers, Parker is great at squashes and Daivari brings the whole thing together. When the match was done, Daivari holds back Parker and Slim J and has a few words with Sonny who wasn't the one eating the pin. Is Sonny joining them? Sure, I'd like that alot.

On deck we had Leva Bates/Emi Sakura/Serena Deeb vs Ruby Soho/Athena/Hikaru Shida, my wife instantly declared her favorite in the match to be Sakura, I was just happy we got the return of Leva Bates. Soho easily was the most over. Right team won (Soho/Athena/Shida).

After, I got up to use the bathroom but came back in the middle of Uno/Ten vs JD Drake/Peter Avalon, crowd was chanting for Ten. Couldn't tell if it was because of this match or if they really want Shawn Spears to return. Avalon looked like a star.

Double helping of JD Drake as he accompanies Anthony Henry against Orange Cassidy, Henry had a pretty combative match and made me realize this was a match I've always wanted. Cassidy wins, we go wild. The Best Friends come down (with Danhausen), and they all hug. Danhausen was in the middle of it very confused.

Tony Khan comes out~!!! Says he loves Michigan, thanks the auto industry (also did this same spiel in Detroit), and Ryan Nemeth comes out to interrupt and try to get Ohio over. He doesn't. Tony says he'll remember this.

Battle of the Belts

- REDACTED (you guys can wait until tomorrow as I don't want to spoil.)

Before Rampage, we got both Eddie Kingston with a quick shoutout for the BOTB, he gave the devil his due (gave props to Cesaro), he also thanked us for being there because otherwise who are they busting their asses for? JR gets his entrance. Tony comes back down and does more crowd hyping, Justin Roberts asks if it's possible for us the fans to get Moxley first as there are so many signs, Tony asks the time until Rampage. 1 Minute to go, Tony says we'll see in 60 seconds won't we.

Didnt expect Moxley to come down through the crowd from up top, but was pleasantly surprised when he walked by my section on the floor on the initial approach. Crowd was hot, Ol' Mancer came down next. Alot of people in my section were pulling for him. I'm surprised we had so much energy for it considering how BOTB ended, but I loved every minute of it. Mance's first chop you could hear anywhere in the arena, truly earthshattering and I can only imagine how it came across on TV.

Nemeth comes back down and starts insulting Michigan again, then TAKESHITA COMES DOWN and lays waste. Brief Wheres Dolph Ziggler chant, I'd love to see Dolph/Takeshita.

We got to see the clip from last week with Orange backstage, GR loves Danhausen.

Up next Rayne/Grey. We cheered Rayne, booed Grey, then just got really fucking bored. You can definitely tell Grey came from OVW. Chants that broke out during the match: Armbar, Fight Forever/Please Don't. Never heard a crowd breathe a bigger sigh of relief for a finish, and thank god Jade came down. Will the Rayne/Jade match be any good? I can definitely say it's going to be better than this.

Main Event, most of this match was watched on the screens as the action took place on the opposite side of the ring where we were sitting. Tony Nese rocks, I'm so glad I got to have him main event a show I went to. He's a natural in that end of 10 O'Clock hour with countless 205 Lives under his belt. 

Epilogue: Blood and Guts was a better AEW experience, but I definitely got the Van Andel arena figured out now going forward, the arena was mostly packed. Only real empty spots were by the section where the camera was. I did have to have some words with a guy with a sign though, he wasnt blocking me but our section was hard cam side but to the right out of frame, so we were rarely if ever in shot and he kept holding up a sign trying to get on Botchamania. I didn't really care about that but every time he put it up, I had a guy directly behind me bitching but not saying anything and a dude behind him yelling constantly about him and it was just bringing the vibe down, so I told the sign guy to look at the screen and notice we are totally not on camera and all he's doing is making everyone else around him fucking hate him. I felt bad but then he kept shittalking Tony Nese during the main event so like, thats his prerogative

All in all, great time was had. It's nice to be home.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9

16 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Here's the Porksweats DVDVR Road Report Live From Grand Rapids, MI. Did I eat? I actually didn't, I took an adderall this morning to help focus on a big file at work so I was pretty content from some Jamaican Jerk Chicken from my work's bistro. As I've mentioned, I actually live downtown here so the arena was only a few blocks up to walk.  I would've gone earlier and attended the meet and greet to see The Acclaimed, Danhausen and Shida but I had to wait for my wife to get out of work (luckily she got out an hour earlier so we could get there to catch the Dark matches!)  We got some pretty strong seats, we weren't floor but we were only a few rows up from the floor, eye level with the turnbuckle tops, and only had 2 rows in front so even if there was standing, we were barely obscured. You know what I did eat after all, we both got some draft labatts paying out the ass, seriously they were cheaper in Detroit which is crazy and my wife got a pretzel that I had a few bites from.  We did miss the first Dark match because we were checking out the merch, didn't see anything that called our names so we got our seats and sat down as Vickie Guerrero was saying that her stable of Vickie, Nyla and Shafir are the Beast Of Burdens? Seems like she should swap that.  We got a Kris Statlander match next, did not catch her opponent's name. She made quick work of her and ended with a big boot but when she did, her other leg buckled and she hobbled back to the back after, I hope she's alright.  Justin Roberts hyped the crowd between, asking if we wanted Sonny Kiss, stating they're always listening backstage for who we want and we were all going crazy for it, which leads to Kiss coming out with two other wrestlers I sadly didn't catch the names of either. Their opponents? The Trustbusters! Slim J made us all believers, Parker is great at squashes and Daivari brings the whole thing together. When the match was done, Daivari holds back Parker and Slim J and has a few words with Sonny who wasn't the one eating the pin. Is Sonny joining them? Sure, I'd like that alot.  On deck we had Leva Bates/Emi Sakura/Serena Deeb vs Ruby Soho/Athena/Hikaru Shida, my wife instantly declared her favorite in the match to be Sakura, I was just happy we got the return of Leva Bates. Soho easily was the most over. Right team won (Soho/Athena/Shida).  After, I got up to use the bathroom but came back in the middle of Uno/Ten vs JD Drake/Peter Avalon, crowd was chanting for Ten. Couldn't tell if it was because of this match or if they really want Shawn Spears to return. Avalon looked like a star.  Double helping of JD Drake as he accompanies Anthony Henry against Orange Cassidy, Henry had a pretty combative match and made me realize this was a match I've always wanted. Cassidy wins, we go wild. The Best Friends come down (with Danhausen), and they all hug. Danhausen was in the middle of it very confused.  Tony Khan comes out~!!! Says he loves Michigan, thanks the auto industry (also did this same spiel in Detroit), and Ryan Nemeth comes out to interrupt and try to get Ohio over. He doesn't. Tony says he'll remember this.  Battle of the Belts  - REDACTED (you guys can wait until tomorrow as I don't want to spoil.)  Before Rampage, we got both Eddie Kingston with a quick shoutout for the BOTB, he gave the devil his due (gave props to Cesaro), he also thanked us for being there because otherwise who are they busting their asses for? JR gets his entrance. Tony comes back down and does more crowd hyping, Justin Roberts asks if it's possible for us the fans to get Moxley first as there are so many signs, Tony asks the time until Rampage. 1 Minute to go, Tony says we'll see in 60 seconds won't we.  Didnt expect Moxley to come down through the crowd from up top, but was pleasantly surprised when he walked by my section on the floor on the initial approach. Crowd was hot, Ol' Mancer came down next. Alot of people in my section were pulling for him. I'm surprised we had so much energy for it considering how BOTB ended, but I loved every minute of it. Mance's first chop you could hear anywhere in the arena, truly earthshattering and I can only imagine how it came across on TV.  Nemeth comes back down and starts insulting Michigan again, then TAKESHITA COMES DOWN and lays waste. Brief Wheres Dolph Ziggler chant, I'd love to see Dolph/Takeshita.  We got to see the clip from last week with Orange backstage, GR loves Danhausen.  Up next Rayne/Grey. We cheered Rayne, booed Grey, then just got really fucking bored. You can definitely tell Grey came from OVW. Chants that broke out during the match: Armbar, Fight Forever/Please Don't. Never heard a crowd breathe a bigger sigh of relief for a finish, and thank god Jade came down. Will the Rayne/Jade match be any good? I can definitely say it's going to be better than this.  Main Event, most of this match was watched on the screens as the action took place on the opposite side of the ring where we were sitting. Tony Nese rocks, I'm so glad I got to have him main event a show I went to. He's a natural in that end of 10 O'Clock hour with countless 205 Lives under his belt.  Epilogue: Blood and Guts was a better AEW experience, but I definitely got the Van Andel arena figured out now going forward, the arena was mostly packed. Only real empty spots were by the section where the camera was. I did have to have some words with a guy with a sign though, he wasnt blocking me but our section was hard cam side but to the right out of frame, so we were rarely if ever in shot and he kept holding up a sign trying to get on Botchamania. I didn't really care about that but every time he put it up, I had a guy directly behind me bitching but not saying anything and a dude behind him yelling constantly about him and it was just bringing the vibe down, so I told the sign guy to look at the screen and notice we are totally not on camera and all he's doing is making everyone else around him fucking hate him. I felt bad but then he kept shittalking Tony Nese during the main event so like, thats his prerogative.  All in all, great time was had. It's nice to be home.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14

Moxley did bleed first, but it was a small trickle that dried/ sweated off quickly, and was only really visible during PinP. But he got Moncer's blood all over him later, so it managed to get bloody one way or another.

• Like 3

I keep being distracted because my instincts keep telling me Mance is doing a Steve Austin impression.  It was a good promo though.  That being said I wasn’t really into this match with Mox.  They sold it prior as a fighty brawl brawl.  Instead it was whatever this mish mash of bleeding and leglocks was supposed to be.  I’ll give Warner another shot if AEW does.  But I don’t think he got much out of this.  Don’t be a Warhorse.  A rare miss for Mox.

Leila has to have spent some time at the PC, right?  

I like the booking of Madison being plugged into a quick program with Jade.  But this match wasn’t great.  I wonder what the chances are for Rayne being remembered if her highest exposure is what?  Peak Impact?  I didn’t watch any of that stuff so I’ve got no knowledge of her beyond the name.  But I am aware she has something of a reputation and some credit to spend in padding Jades record.  

The street fight was fun.  It may not have been the original plan.  I like that it’s worked out this way with Swerve and Lee.  That German Suplex off the apron was nuts.  The “monkeys in the truck” figured out how to shoot that top rope double stomp.  So that helped.  

• Like 2