DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/3/2022

The Natural

Excalibur is just on my wave length with references. Bojack tonight, "I AM THE TABLE" a while back. Mr. Masked Man rules.

Toni Storm is gonna break someone's neck with one of those hip attacks someday. Hayter had a pretty sick rainmaker, get the woman her wide shot~

There's something weirdly funny about the crowd getting down to Baltimora after Jungle Boy tried literal vehicular homicide earlier in the day. Christian/Jungle Boy at All Out should be a blast.

COOL HAND ANGE SWITCHBLADE COMB APPEARANCE~ (tilde count - 2)

I wonder if Cole finally figured out the Bucks killed him. Definitely intrigued for how the Elite Classic vs. Undisputed Version plays out with Hangman if the rumors are true and Kenny is back soon. Making kids cry is pro wrestling!

Hobbs had /something/ extra on that last spinebuster to Ricky, thought he was gonna put Starks through the mat with that one. Shame Team Taz is done but I guess it did what it set out to. Starks and Hobbs are totally over now and Hook carved out a nice niche for himself. They would have been great in the trios tourney too.

Eddie Kingston speaks for the people. Sammy is so getting merced at All Out.

Anna seemed a little more comfortable on the mic this week. Maybe leaning into the goofiness of JAS helped a bit. I can see her choking out randos in the back being a recurring thing.

LIONTAMER!!!!!! (didn't want to go for the trifecta on tildes, gotta save them, yaknow) Yuta vs. Jericho ruled. Yuta mostly rules anyway.

• Like 4

Mance Warner is one of those guys who I watch in promos and how he carries himself and think he could be something if he was even 10% better in-ring. Unfortunately so far that 10% has yet to show up, but Mox is as likely as anyone to drag it out of him.

I really liked this show. The past week has been a reminder of how good Jay Lethal. The Best Friends doing the “two kids trying to get tickets to an R rated movie” popped me to no end. That was fantastic. I thought Wardlow’s promo was the right use of him. Short, awesome. Lethal will die for a lot of people’s sins. 

I could not have cared less about this super elite bullshit. Adam Cole is back with his “eighth grader playing ‘the dad’ in the school play” faux intensity that he can’t come within a mile of pulling off. I find it interesting that as soon as the theme song goes off, the crowd reactions to him get smaller. Anyway, the kid crying at the UE heel turn popped me. Yeah kid, I cry when these dipshits are on my screen, too. The POP for Hangman Page. That guy fucking rules. Actually reasonably interested in the Hung Bucks. I’ve hated the Bucks’ work much less the last couple months. 

They shouldn’t let Cole promo anytime right before or after Moxley promos, because Mox does effortlessly what Cole is trying his very hardest to convey. Great promo. 

Nice little Jungle Boy segment.

This women’s tag kicked ass. Thunderstorm vs. The Tooth Commission. Jamie & Toni are the stars here. I can’t recall another performer regressing as badly as quickly as Rosa. I love her, but she’s gone straight down the shitter. It wouldn’t kill Britt to put a few people over, but at least Jamir got the pin.

Powerhouse murked a fool. Ricky Starks is a top babyface. Imagine having a wrestling show on which adam Cole promoed and Rick Starks didn’t. Smh my head. That eventual match will rule.

I’m not a big Darby Allin fan. I get along with both my parents, so his schtick isn’t really for me. Sweet video packages though.

Cage & Hardy. Eh. Jungle Boy; renegade is a fun development though.

Ethan Page & Big Stoke will be dope. Because they are both dope.

The JAS b-team is so damn entertaining. Anna JAS is slowly growing more confident on the mic. Her choking out a stagehand popped me.

That dumpster match ruled ass. Caster waiting til after they put a down payment on that ass whippin’ to rap was king shit. That ruled so hard. The Acclaimed is so good. Bowens yelling “eat shit!” on that trash can shot to Colton popped me. Colton takes fantastic bumps. Right team won.

Eddie Kingston might literally eat Sammy Guevara. I’m in.

Another great Miro promo. 

Main was fine. Wheeler Yuta is so fucking special. A year ago he was just a guy. Now he’s one of their top stars. Just a reminder of what can happen when talent is booked to get over. I understand the finish, but I’ve had about enough of Chris Jericho; main eventer. 

Rampage looks like extremely my shit. Good show.

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Nineteen said:

There's something weirdly funny about the crowd getting down to Baltimora after Jungle Boy tried literal vehicular homicide earlier in the day. Christian/Jungle Boy at All Out should be a blast.

This speaks to a larger character problem with Jungle Boy, though. All the leather jackets and swear word promos on Earth don't stop him from being a 5'5" born rich workrate guy. How much money you think he wants to lose an apuestas?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Ol' Mancer isn't signed I'm pretty sure, unless I missed a "Mance Warner is All Elite" graphic.

He just signed with MLW again a few weeks ago.  I'm guessing this is the vaunted work of the FORBIDDEN DOOR~!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I saw the Ultimate Elite turning on the Bucks a mile away. 

Seems like they could have waited until Cole and o’Reilly are medically cleared.  The beatdown wasn’t much of a beatdown but it’s hard to stage a good sneak attack when two of the three heels aren’t cleared to do anything physical.  The one Buck getting taken down by KOR’s chop block turn just sitting there waiting for Cole to throw the super kick was funny.

I like ThunderRosa but she looked like she was moving at half-speed tonight.  Alvarez speculated a couple of weeks ago that’s she’s injured and really can’t go, but I thought she looked much worse tonight than she did a month ago.

Called the Undisputed Elite breakup, ironically enough they were pushing their shirts SUPER hardcore so I wasn't 100% sure it was going to be happening. And no, the Bucks will forever remain just awful people in general, despite Hangman coming to save them. GREAT camera work during the attack though, that's right up there with Miz Girl.

Sooooo the Hobbs/Starks angle reveal....was not one of my 5 choices that I previously mentioned, and was generally surprised. But I'm not sure where they're going with this. (As with the reason why he joined, which we never got) we need an explanation as to why Hobbs attacked Starks. One thing that confused me was Tazz repeatedly saying Hobbs is going to pay for Starks. Why? Since Tazz represents none of them any longer, why does he care anymore?

Rosa continues to be the low point of the show, just sloshing through another match, bringing everyone else around her down, showing up in situations she inserted herself into. She's basically the Sasha Banks of AEW at this point.

I hate Ethan Page, but is ATT done? I'm okay with Stokley bring in new people but where's Dan Lambert? Scorpio?

Props of the night go to Best Friends for their two kids in a trenchcoat spot.

Edited by The Green Meanie

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Though the Hobbs presentation was great including the modified music. I do kind of wish he had, y'know, broken Jones' back instead of just clotheslining him because he's billed as the guy who breaks people's backs.

He should use the Human Torture Rack as a finisher or maybe the old Hollywood back breaker Ventura used to do. Hell even a good old fashion bear hug with those arms would work.

• Like 3

I dug the women's tag. Out the dozen or so women's matches I've caught from AEW over the past couple of ears its easily one of the best, just solid work from all involved though Hayter was definitely the standout.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

He should use the Human Torture Rack as a finisher or maybe the old Hollywood back breaker Ventura used to do. Hell even a good old fashion bear hug with those arms would work.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

A Camel Clutch with the recipient in a Full Nelson would be a mean finish. 

BULLFROG SPLASH!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Hobbs has beat a bunch of Jobbers on Dark or Elevation with the Torture Rack 

• Like 2

Another good show. Excalibur switched up the intro from the usual "you know what that means". Didn't expect the Undisputed turn to happen so quickly/suddenly, nor for it be so emotional to make children cry but that was classic.  Nice pops throughout the night for Orange, Hangman, Jungle Boy, and Starks appearances.

Women's tag was pretty awesome. Felt like they threw everything at each other in that one and then the finish came out of nowhere. Thought Matt/Christian was a lot of fun, still always enjoy both. Great main event as well.

Loved the Dumpster match, very Attitude-esque. I'm a mark for the super rare Dumpster match, from having the figures playset in the late 90s and the match randomly making it's only video game appearance in ECW Anarchy Rulz of all games. 

Looking forward to Madison Rayne becoming All Elite, excited for her in the new environment. Her signing was unexpected and I assumed at first it was a backstage role, so it's cool that she will be in the ring after all, longtime favorite. 

• Like 3

Can anyone think of an instance where a Jericho program has been good and he's been the supporting actor/not the focus of attention?

Only instance I can think of is the Saturn dress feud in WCW, but even that gets an * given he was on the way out. Everything else is either Jericho being the centre of attention in 80% of the feud, a program where he's less influential and its not about him (HHH, Hogan) or its a Fandango program where he's dogged it (Orton title program when he first returned)

The MJF promo about him hitching his wagon to upcoming stars and pretending he's putting them over has more than a kernel of truth to it. 

Churned thru the upper to mid card as champ before dropping the belt to Moxley, and never really returned the falls to guys who probably needed them afterwards (Darby, Page mostly). 

Orange Cassidy feud where the majority of the major moments centred around Jericho, Orange beat him twice (including a flubbed finish) and no-one really cares about it a month later.

MJF program should have focused around MJF, the Pinnacle and the prospect of MJF getting his comeuppance. Instead it was around the Labours of Jericho, the Inner Circle tension, and Jericho getting his win back. Both the War Games and the PPV finish felt anticlimactic as a result.

Kingston feud has at least been even in its focus, but it's lead to a Jericho title program and Kingston in a nothing match with Sami, following a PPV match where Jericho gets the victory over Danielson (in fairness injury prevented this going anywhere) and the War Games finish that also has gone nowhere so far. 

You have last week where Danielson put Garcia over big time, and then this week, Jericho taking 2/3 of the match, beating Yuta cleanly and beating him down after the match when Yuta is absolutely hot right now to set up a nothing title match with Mox.  Self serving.

• Like 2