DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/1 - 8/7/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I wonder if they're still going to try to make "The Raw After SummerSlam" a thing or not.   Either way, the HHH era begins in earnest tonight.  

Hopefully we begin with IO and Dakota kicking someone's head clean off tonight

FZAGw8nWAAEmu0f?format=jpg&name=large

Probably some more call ups too!  

I didn't see any notable news from Wade Keller. 

Two triple threats tonight, the two winners will face each other to determine who is the contender for the US championship.

Usos vs the Mysterios for the Undisputed WWE tags.

Good show. Not groundbreaking but just a very well booked show with tons of in-ring action.  Lots of stories progressed in natural, simplistic ways.. 

The U.S. title montage putting over the history of the belt was a nice touch.  Both triple threats and AJ Styles vs. Ciampa were good. 

Montez Ford vs. Seth Rollins was good but short.  

Skye vs. Bianca was really damn good too.. Bayley's stable has potential.  

Triple H had his fingerprints all over the show.  3 hours is always gonna be too long.

• Like 3

Between Io/Bianca and Styles/Ciampa there was some good stuff in-ring this week. Maybe it was the interjection of Bayley's new stable but this felt less bland and a re-shuffling of the same couple wrestlers that are there every week. There isn't going to be a complete reboot like that time in WCW when Russo showed up but if the changes this week were HHH's doing then I'm looking forward to it incrementally getting better.

• Like 1

Felt like the same old to me, just with more focus on "HHH favorites", most of whom I'm not a fan of.  Not here for another ciampa push.   Main event was solid.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 4

I watched all three hours. 

That's enough f'n Sports Entertainment for me for another year at least.

Not nearly as rough as I expected it to be, though. The camera work seems way more under control than what I'd expected.

A lot of terrible acting and stilted, unnatural talking.

All of the wrestling was good. Some of it was really good.

Loved Booker T getting a big reaction in Houston. Loved the US title video package.

Cutting the KANA match short was a massive kick in the nuts. Pretty much coming right out and saying, "This is not for you, Gordlow." Could have turned it off right there, really.

Glad I stuck it out, though. It's not for me, still, but it's nowhere near the awful travesty I'd built current WWE up to in my mind. I guess I can see how people might enjoy this.

No doubt, there are a ton of talented wrestlers working in WWE, and the lights and pyro and set dressing all looks very good.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

Oh NO!  Triple threat matches.  Mustafa Ali and AJ Styles and the Miz are all guys I like.  I will SUFFER through... The Miz IS a warrior. Ali hits a fucking BEAUTIFUL Tornado DDT out of the ring onto the floor onto AJ.   I saw a tweet about the Styles Clash and I thought someone photoshopped AJ Styles setting up his own finisher but I now know that Ali looks just like Styles from behind.  I laughed.  AJ Styles pins AJ Styles!  They should do the old WCW thing of opponents never wearing the same color pants.  That was fine for a triple threat match.  It's Montez Ford versus Seth Rollins.  Is this is the beginning of the Ford singles run?  Rollins is bumping big enough for it to start.  Ford is also bumping big for Rollins.   Very large flying crossbody by Ford.  Ford hits a SWEEET Standing Buff Blockbuster!  He's got good punches too.  Montez Ford is a very athletic Chavo Junior with the very nice Rolling DDT.  Buckle Bomb and Falcon Arrow FOR TWO!  Rollins misses a Frog Splash!  Rollins gets his knees up to counter Ford's Frog Splash!  A stomp later and Montez Ford starts off his singles run a bit shakily.  That was good.  It's Alexa Bliss versus Asuka!  Bliss has really crappy looking knees to the head.  CONTROL hits the ring!  Bayley has crappy knees to the head too.  Iyo versus Bianca Belair should be good.  And it's another fucking three way.  Chad Gable versus Ciampa versus Dolph Ziggler will be perfectly fine.  Great dropkick by Ziggler.  Gable takes a DDT like RVD!  Gable hits a great toprope lariat on Ciampa.  I like the thing where Gable and Ciampa both have a submission on Ziggler and there would be the conundrum of who would win if he taps.  There are a lot of nearfalls.  Oh man,  Ziggler leans waay in on a knee through the ropes.  Ciampa wins with a Butterfly Faceplant thingy on Gable.  That was good.  Iyo Skye!  She's moved on up!  She looks all spectacular Asai Moonsaulting onto Bianca Belair.   Bianca Belair is really fucking awesome- what with the power and the agility.  Iyo with the toprope Frankensteiner!  Great fucking EVEREST Vertical Suplex!  Oh MAN!  Belair flings Iyo into the railing.  That had to suck.  Asuka and Bliss come out to counter the rest of CONTROL and all our babyfaces do the Chicken Dance in picture in picture!  Iyo looks fuckin GREAT in this match.  Fucking GNARLY Spider Suplex by Bianca.  This match is fucking GREAT.  Everybody hits the ring!  It is an AWESOME pull apart!  That was fucking great. It was a very rare match where the finish was what it had to be.  I don't think Iyo could take a loss this early into the invasion and Bianca Belair can't take a loss to the junior member of CONTROL.  That was a perfectly fine finish to a really fucking great match.  It's AJ Styles versus Ciampa!  The Miz is awesome being a certified heel at ringside.  One can forget how fucking great AJ Styles is.  He is so intense on offense.  Great nearfall on Ciampa counter a Phenomenal Forearm with a knee to the face.  The Miz CHEATS!  The MIZ CHEATS AGAIN!  Styles makes it in the ring before the ten count!  Ciampa crushes Styles and goes on to get slaughtered by Bobby Lashley.  That was really good.  Los Mysterios take on the Usos!  Rey is totally awesome to start flying to the floor and tumbling to pop back up.  Dominick hits a Plancha from the top to the floor!  While we are in picture in picture, Rey becomes our face in peril.  Rey Misterio Jr has been a sympathetic babyface sine he was 14 years old.  He was born to take an ass beating.  Jay crushes Rey in the corner with his butt.  Jimmy takes a beautiful Psicosis Bump to the ringpost through the turnbuckles.  Dominick makes the hot tag and he is exactly like Robert Gibson hitting the ring.  He gets beaten down pretty early in his house a-fire  and he assumes the Ricky Morton role.  Rey is better on the apron than Dominick.  Dominick is fun getting his ass beat, having little pathetic hope spots that the Uso Brothers slap down and crush his spirit.  Dominick is better at the Ricky Morton role in the Southern tag dynamic. Rey as Avenging Father makes him more fun seething on the apron and exploding when Dominick finally makes the hot tag.  GREAT fucking nearfall when Dominick hits a Love Machine Splash and JAy makes the save at 2.999.  This match is fucking great.  The Usos pull out the win with a D-1.  That was fucking great.  What a great episode of RAW.  POSTMATCH, Judgement Day assault the Mysterios. Edge makes the save.  That was some quality professional wrestling.

• Like 7

It was a good show tonight. It wasn't the statement show some prophesized it would be as the first under Triple H, but it was a good start.

It will be hard to boo Bayley, Kota, and Sky but I will try to do so. Oh who am I kidding. I can't ever hate Bayley. But the feud against Bianca, Asuka, and Alexa should be a good one.

I liked the stuff surrounding the US Title tonight. Ciampa getting the win was a nice change of pace for things and him vs. Lashley should be a good one.

Mysterios vs. Uso's was a good enough tag match. Much like with Roman, I can't think of any team that can take the titles off the Uso's.

The ending was good. I guess we'll eventually get Beth Phoenix to be the one to put Rhea in her place.

• Like 4

David Flair is actually the youngest US champ. Theory is only the youngest WWE guy to hold it.

I notice lot less Vince-ism in the booking as times pass by. Lot less comedy too on Raw.

Matches were shorter when Bruce was the head creative, now some of the matches are longer again.  

It's Smackdown that needs to be checked out this week, it's the main show that gets most effort thrown in it, plus 2 hours is always better than 3.

What I caught of the triple threats were solid. Same with Ford/Seth. Wouldn't mind this being the start of a Ford singles push.

Everything surrounding the women was Bayley's new group was nice. Io/Bianca was solid though I was hoping Io would get slightly more of a showcase. I was good withthe finish beign inconclusive. Felt like the right move here.

Ciampa/AJ was good. Its good seeing Ciampa finally getting something resembling a push. He feels like the first Miz henchmen Miz is really supporting.

Usos vs. Mysterios was so so good. Not sure if Dom fucked that 619 attempt up or legit caught himself but it worked well for the moment regardless. Dug the post match attack by Judgement Day. I'm kind of amused by Rhea constantly going after om from choking him out in the scissors to pushing him into a spear.

This was the first show in forever where watching with as background made me feel like I really missed things. I want to call it good, but 3 hours will always be too much for any show that is focused purely on in ring action. This is a nice step in the right direction from HHH. Curious to see how in continues in the coming months.

• Like 1

I know I only mentioned two matches (and those were really all I watched, aside from the replay of the Brock/Roman insanity from Saturday) but FACK the Dunn camerawork is so goddamn annoying to this day. I feel like I totally forgot about it and seeing it again, it's like watching zooms from some shitty Something Weird Video movie with go-go dancers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't want to quote @DEAN's whole excellent write up, but the thought I had was...  It would be absolutely hilarious to me to call Bayley's group CONTROL (Your Narrative) because EC3 or Braun or whoever forgot to file the correct trademark paperwork.

• Like 1