DVDVR Message Board

Hollywood Actors and Their Place on the Card

RonL21

Undertaker is Clint Eastwood... I mean come on. You don't get more legendary than that. Plus the longevity.

So much so that we were all having a good time booking an Undertaker Wrestlemania match against Kane where Kane is in the Little Bill role.

Undertaker is Clint Eastwood... I mean come on. You don't get more legendary than that. Plus the longevity.

So much so that we were all having a good time booking an Undertaker Wrestlemania match against Kane where Kane is in the Little Bill role.

This would be amazing.

I didn't know Kane was a really bad carpenter.

Ron Perlman and character actors of his ilk are more like a Benoit/Malenko type, I think.

I think character actors are more like the luchadores in WCW. There were some like Juvi and Psycosis who eventually separated themselves from the pack.  There were others like Silver King and La Parka who eventually got cult followings.  Then there were guys like Ciclope and the Villanos who were guys who you recognized, and were in some really fun matches, but ultimately weren't ever contenders.  Ron Perlman who is great in just about everything he is in, is an intercontinental or U.S. champion at best(not an insult, some of the best wrestlers in history peaked with those titles).

I think Benoit/Malenko were solid mid to upper midcard guys, who were closer to Jake Gyllenhaal or Idris Elba.  They are guys with solid fan bases, can carry a movie, but ultimately are a step below the biggest stars. 

Are we going to include TV actors in this discussion? 

Comparing them- wouldn't Ron Perlman be slightly higher than the character actors [or indeed, closer to midcard]- but if that's the case, wouldn't the previously mentioned Chris Evans be in the same boat right now [Evans, like Perlman, hasn't been a big star- and the only huge, peak stardom moment for each one happened in a superhero movie- so it is possible they weren't the draw as much as the character was], and if Evans is presumably at his peak now, it leads to the same comparison.

EDIT: And if that's the case - wouldn't that put most of the ilk of people who are big box office draws due to being major players in superhero movies inherently in the role of the gimmicked-up midcarders [guys like Fandango/Los Matadores/3MB/etc.]- they are higher on the card then they'd likely deserve if not for their gimmick?

One guy that hasn't been mentioned yet is idris elba. He's not a top main event star-yet, but with Mandela coming out(and with the namesake passing away just as its premiering) it should strap another small rocket to his ass. Not that he needs it really, as any guy who has the wire, luther, thor, and now mandela on his resume is looking damn good. Not to mention roles in prometheus and pacfic rim. I'm not so good at the wrestling analogies(i havent watched wwe in ten years so any references would be way out of date), but he seems to be a solid uppercarder, with potential to main event. Not saying he's in leo's league, but he's getting close, acting wise anyway.

One guy that hasn't been mentioned yet is idris elba. He's not a top main event star-yet, but with Mandela coming out(and with the namesake passing away just as its premiering) it should strap another small rocket to his ass. Not that he needs it really, as any guy who has the wire, luther, thor, and now mandela on his resume is looking damn good. Not to mention roles in prometheus and pacfic rim. I'm not so good at the wrestling analogies(i havent watched wwe in ten years so any references would be way out of date), but he seems to be a solid uppercarder, with potential to main event. Not saying he's in leo's league, but he's getting close, acting wise anyway.

You left out the best role he's had

tumblr_lsd9q5zr6z1qzcrvj.gif