DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

Meltzer is so frustrating to listen to when he talks about the Trios tournament. He doesn't talk about the Best Friends at all and purely talks about the finals being the Elite vs the Dark Order. He's even talked about in terms of Page not being in the match and it still being Reynolds/Silver/10.

I still think the smart move is to go with the Elite vs the Best Friends. The Best Friends are always the ultimate underdogs and it would be great to see a story where Kenny is just too banged up to hang in there during the match, the Best Friends are able to capitalize, and then we get Chuck, Trent, and Orange all with titles around their waists, doing the hug, the big camera zoom out, and Excalibur yelling, "YOU GOT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!"

To me, it's just not a foregone conclusion that the finals will be the Dark Order vs the Elite. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

A pretty good summation of how bat-shit the last couple months of Cody Rhodes and Brandi's runs in AEW were before they left. 

I could've excused Cody's garbage had he actually turned heel. 

The Brandi and Dan Lambert stuff is still, I dunno WTF was going on there. I'm guessing the end goal was to have Brandi wrestle Paige VanZant?

The ladder promo is one of the greatest moments in this sport's history. Wildest. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/29/2022 at 2:17 AM, A_K said:

Darby was a demonstrable draw for them. They've dropped the ball there big time but he's recoverable: he's magnetic. Jack Perry can't speak: they are going to kill him putting the spotlight on him like they are currently ("I hit him with my fist .. I hit him with a chair..?). Perry tops out at novelty but over tag team level (think Too Cool) or low/mid card loveable non speaking cruiserweight. Guevara they've killed with WCW 2000 level booking - I mean they've really fucked his booking up. Of the 3 Darby is probably most salvageable with most upside, Guevara is variable .. Perry is just not going to work whatsoever with what they're attempting for him. 

I was thinking about this Jungle Jack Perry is kinda like Lionheart Chris Jericho or ROH DB, over but keep him away from the stick. What I'd like to see them do with him is eventually do what they are doing with PAC. Have him defend the AA title on various US indys and see if he develops

• Like 1

Fightful reporting they're hearing Full Gear will be in Newark, NJ and when they've run there in the past, both times were at the Prudential Center so it would make sense to do it up there again. This isn't official or confirmed btw.

Why does AEW hate the west coast so much, particularly the PNW? They have Danielson, you could run Key Arena np with him in a featured match. 

Edited by Jiji

That's incredible.

Also, Fightful on the Kingston/Sammy drama:

Sammy Guevara-Eddie Kingston update
The Sammy Guevara-Eddie Kingston saga appears to have ended, at least behind the scenes.

Fightful has learned that Eddie Kingston and Sammy Guevara squashed their issues backstage at today's All Elite Wrestling Dynamite show. We haven't learned of the context of what was said, but we're told they had a conversation, shook hands and decided to move on from the issues that led to Eddie Kingston getting suspended for two weeks.

Kingston and Sammy were slated to compete at AEW All Out against one another, but it was scrapped after Kingston was suspended. During a promo to build to the match, Guevara called Kingston a "fat piece of shit," which Kingston felt undermined the All Out match, that he was set to win. We're told Guevara had voiced his displeasure backstage, and things didn't look like they'd really be rectified until the story emerged, and things actually cooled down after that. 

One source stated to Fightful that Eddie Kingston accepted full responsibility for his actions backstage. Another said that they believe both Kingston and Guevara are smart enough to make money off of the situation and work with one another, and didn't feel as if things ever got so bad that they wouldn't. 

We were told Guevara was planned for the PPV weekend in some capacity, but haven't learned what that entails. Kingston will face Tomohiro Ishii in a rematch from NJPW on the AEW All Out Zero Hour pre-show. 

We've reached out to Sammy Guevara and Eddie Kingston about the story.

Edited by Jiji

Kingston: "Sammy, be smarter about your work, you shouldn't have to ask me what's OK to say, learn how to do your job because I'd hate to make Tay a widow when we should all be making money"

Sammy: "Whatever, fine."

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

Meltzer is so frustrating to listen to when he talks about the Trios tournament. He doesn't talk about the Best Friends at all and purely talks about the finals being the Elite vs the Dark Order. He's even talked about in terms of Page not being in the match and it still being Reynolds/Silver/10.

I still think the smart move is to go with the Elite vs the Best Friends. The Best Friends are always the ultimate underdogs and it would be great to see a story where Kenny is just too banged up to hang in there during the match, the Best Friends are able to capitalize, and then we get Chuck, Trent, and Orange all with titles around their waists, doing the hug, the big camera zoom out, and Excalibur yelling, "YOU GOT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!"

To me, it's just not a foregone conclusion that the finals will be the Dark Order vs the Elite. 

Agreed 100% on all counts, with the most aggravating part being that you know if the Best Friends DO win he's never going to shut up about how it's such horribly conceived booking and makes no sense in the grand baroque superstructure of AEW storylines. 

While I'm complaining about Dave, at this point I think my desk job does less to batter and deaden my soul than listening to Meltzer aimlessly ramble on for ten or twenty minutes about ratings does. Hearing Alvarez's nasally little "take us through these ratings!" alone is enough to put me into a tailspin.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1