DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

The issue isn't the impromptu matches,  the issue is a lack of storytelling that holds the show together. I feel like the stories being told are too few and too unfocused. JAS vs Kingston and BCC has been the most focused story,  and that's been going on forever. There hadn't been a world title feud since Punk was injured. Wardlow vs. Lethal has been OK.  Swerve in our Glory have been wrestling all the JTTS teams with no real feud. The TBS title feud needs more TV time to be affective. Pac never seems to defend his title on TV,  and is caught up in the trios tournament. The same thing is holding up Miro vs The House of Black. Adam Page is way over,  he has no direction at all. I don't care how great the matches are,  you can't make up for poor storytelling with great matches. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

To add to the above, Ethan Page has been criminally under utilised in AEW. He had that one promo about 3 weeks ago then disappeared again? 

The trios tournament has really sucked a lot of the fun out of AEW.  TK really needs to stop with the tournaments. The TV shows also suffered during that Owen Cup.  

Im not saying we are at 1999 WCW levels yet, but I’m almost certain Lanny Poffo has been receiving pay checks from AEW for the last few years.

• Like 2

Lack of consistency with talent/storylines from week to week have definitely been an issue on AEW TV from.

And some of this blame is squarely on buying ROH without a plan in place for it.

Edited by TheVileOne

How has the trios tournament sucked the fun out of tv lately? We just had a worldy of a spotfest last week and this week we're getting Omega vs. Ospreay in a tag. There haven't been a tonne of angles for it, so it's not overstaying its welcome that way either.

• Like 9

I think that's fair. I love a tournament, particularly round robin/league formats, but yeah it's a bit much especially when there should be heavy focus on big picture character development and long-term programs. Nice thing with this tournament is that they're building up multiple programs that will go beyond the tournament, including Omega vs. Ospreay and Hangman vs. Elite.

A pretty good summation of how bat-shit the last couple months of Cody Rhodes and Brandi's runs in AEW were before they left. 

I could've excused Cody's garbage had he actually turned heel. 

The Brandi and Dan Lambert stuff is still, I dunno WTF was going on there. I'm guessing the end goal was to have Brandi wrestle Paige VanZant?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Lack of consistency with talent/storylines from week to week have definitely been an issue on AEW TV from.

And some of this blame is squarely on buying ROH without a plan in place for it.

I’d say it’s buying without a plan period.  Tony’s been fairly reckless on signing WWE castoffs.  Signing Punk and Bryan are no-brainers.  Signing Claudio and the Undisputed Era was probably a good move, depending on cost and health and such.  Signing all those guys, plus the Andrades, Swerves and Keith Lees of the world in such a short time seems like a case of too much.  AEW has a bloated roster and a limited amount of tv.  I’m still not sure how Tony Khan expected to find time for them, plus the “homegrown” guys like Darby and Hangman that he was already pushing.

I’m not really surprised there are unhappy people in the locker room.  Guys like Darby and Page seem to be getting lost in the shuffle since the WWE invasion got going.

Edited by madl
  • Like 4

I don't mean to sound over-dramatic (he says before saying something overly dramatic), but I think purchasing ROH was the worst decision TK has made since launching AEW. First of all, it wasn't necessary. ROH has no value of note (hence why he can't get a TV deal), he could have signed their top couple wrestlers and kept it moving. I think that move was purely made by "the fan" Tony Khan and not the "businessman." Trying to shoehorn a couple more titles and randomly showcasing their wrestlers has made Dynamite and Rampage really unfocused, and the timing was bad as that was right when they had their own PPV to promote, and then the New Japan PPV, while random ROH angles were happening also. Everything was just a cluster.

AEW is 'saved' by the fact they do have great wrestlers, and they are good at letting great wrestlers do their thing with minimal interference. So I'm still going to watch, but the show structures are just a mess and really need someone to come in and give them more focus.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, madl said:

I’d say it’s buying without a plan period.  Tony’s been fairly reckless on signing WWE castoffs.  Signing Punk and Bryan are no-brainerz.  Signing Claudio and the Undisputed Era was probably a good move, depending on cost and health and such.  Signing all those guys, plus the Andrades, Swerves and Keith Lees of the world in such a short time seems like a case of too much.  AEW has a bloated roster and a limited amount of tv.  I’m still not sure how Tony Khan expected to find time for them, plus the “homegrown” guys like Darby and Hangman that he was already pushing.

I’m not really surprised there are unhappy people in the locker room.  Guys like Darby and Page seem to be getting lost in the shuffle since the WWE invasion got going.

Throw into that Big Show, Mark Henry, Malakai Black and Christian Cage.

For the record, I'd have 100% hired Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, Claudio Castagnoli and Christian Cage. I'd have put the TNT Championship on Cage and put the younger talent to learn from.

I'd pass on the Undisputed Era. Adam Cole has never done anything for me. Off the three, Kyle O'Reilly's the best but the best one from that faction is unavailable, Roderick Strong.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

A pretty good summation of how bat-shit the last couple months of Cody Rhodes and Brandi's runs in AEW were before they left. 

The Brandi and Dan Lambert stuff is still, I dunno WTF was going on there. I'm guessing the end goal was to have Brandi wrestle Paige VanZant?

LOOOOL @ The zoom in on James during that promo.

And holy fuck, that ladder promo summed up the Cody's whole run in AEW.  Self indulgent, all over the place, no coherent point, not designed to make any money.  If you think AEW is crazy now, we had an EVP of the company out there wearing lipstick, practicing his acting class emoting,  rambling about an unrelated wrestler's finisher, taking credit for building the company, burying new guys, talking about his contract, and shitting on Brody King when he had only been in the company for a few days because the guy, I guess, didn't change his name or something.  Fuck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't mean to sound over-dramatic (he says before saying something overly dramatic), but I think purchasing ROH was the worst decision TK has made since launching AEW. First of all, it wasn't necessary. ROH has no value of note (hence why he can't get a TV deal), he could have signed their top couple wrestlers and kept it moving. I think that move was purely made by "the fan" Tony Khan and not the "businessman." Trying to shoehorn a couple more titles and randomly showcasing their wrestlers has made Dynamite and Rampage really unfocused, and the timing was bad as that was right when they had their own PPV to promote, and then the New Japan PPV, while random ROH angles were happening also. Everything was just a cluster.

AEW is 'saved' by the fact they do have great wrestlers, and they are good at letting great wrestlers do their thing with minimal interference. So I'm still going to watch, but the show structures are just a mess and really need someone to come in and give them more focus.

I don’t know. Does anyone here really think TK buying ROH was a mistake?

Edited by Log

One of the things AEW is really good at is elevating talents to the upper-midcard. The difficulty they have (which is the same issue WWE has) is getting these talents to the next level. Last year it felt like many of the younger talents were on an upward trajectory and slammed hard into the glass ceiling around the time that Brian and the Undisputed Era jointed the promotion. Part of the problem is Tony wants to play with his new toys. He likes young talents on the way up and his recent signees. If you're at the main event level you're in good shape, but if you're stuck in the middle you're probably neglected.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Log said:

I don’t know. Does anyone here really think TK buying ROH was a mistake?

That depends 100% how soon I get start to watch the early ROH tape library from FITE or HBO max (or whatever tf it is now)?! I don't know if I would pay for a service for new ROH shows, even if I could buy a "ROH+" from FITE? So, I don't feel it was a mistake, but it is time to shit or get off the pot, one way or the other, or it will definitely become a mistake at some point!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

That depends 100% how soon I get start to watch the early ROH tape library from FITE or HBO max (or whatever tf it is now)?! I don't know if I would pay for a service for new ROH shows, even if I could buy a "ROH+" from FITE? So, I don't feel it was a mistake, but it is time to shit or get off the pot, one way or the other, or it will definitely become a mistake at some point!

My post was in jest. There are a handful of people here who will tell you that TK buying ROH was a mistake every chance they get. 

Not saying it won’t end up being one, it’s just that we get it. 

Meltzer is so frustrating to listen to when he talks about the Trios tournament. He doesn't talk about the Best Friends at all and purely talks about the finals being the Elite vs the Dark Order. He's even talked about in terms of Page not being in the match and it still being Reynolds/Silver/10.

I still think the smart move is to go with the Elite vs the Best Friends. The Best Friends are always the ultimate underdogs and it would be great to see a story where Kenny is just too banged up to hang in there during the match, the Best Friends are able to capitalize, and then we get Chuck, Trent, and Orange all with titles around their waists, doing the hug, the big camera zoom out, and Excalibur yelling, "YOU GOT TO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!"

To me, it's just not a foregone conclusion that the finals will be the Dark Order vs the Elite. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

The ladder promo is one of the greatest moments in this sport's history. Wildest. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5