DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

1 minute ago, Log said:

It was kind of getting to the point of sounding like a kid that was suddenly allowed to cuss.  Like, my five-year-old said "shit" once, I made the mistake of chuckling, and it was on.

YES, exactly.

My seven year old is the opposite.  She's somehow deathly afraid of cursing even though my wife and I, not the best examples, curse like...well....like workers on Dynamite, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My youngest is 17 and he just started saying the F WORD in front of me.  I was aghast.  I actually don't cuss much in real life though I use the word FUCK a thousand times a day here.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

There's something I want to mention about the whole Thunder Rosa thing even if the "hiding in the bathroom" thing is (almost assuredly) nonsense. 

There are a whole lot of physical problems that can render one's skill level in legitimate fighting irrelevant. High-level combat sports fighters drop out of fights due to injury all the time. Why? Because they run the risk of getting injured more seriously, and more to the point, the injury renders them incapable of defending themselves to their fullest ability.

You can have all of the knowledge in unarmed combat in the world, but if you so happen to have something like (just for example, I have no idea if this is Rosa's issue) recurring problems with bad back spasms, the last thing you want to do is try to fight somebody. Skill level doesn't matter if you can barely walk or rotate your midsection. There are a whole bunch of reasons, physical and otherwise, why Rosa could've come to the conclusion that fighting a very strong person in the prime of their life was not in her best interest that day. 

Yeah,  i was probably dismissive about Rosa's skill set,  but I think @Elsalvajelocoactually made the point I was trying to illustrate much better than i did. Training for MMA isn't binary. You aren't either trained or not trained. I was watching a lot of old UFC fights during the pandemic and I'd say Royce Gracie's jiu-jitsu is pretty terrible compared to modern fighters. It's not that Royce was bad, he was great, but everyone watched those fights and he spent 20+ years improving on what he did. So Thunder Rosa had an MMA fight,  which is courageous, but doesn't say all that much about her skill level in a fight. You can train for years and never become a great fighter. There are some people who can walk in a gym and 6 months later be ready to fight legitimate competition. You can have all the skill in the world and have a glass jaw. You can have very little skill,  but crazy knockout power. What I'm saying is,  assuming someone who has fought a single fight is a trained MMA fighter is like assumng someone who knows CPR is a doctor. They may be a doctor,  but you shouldn't assume they are unless they've graduated from medical school.

• Like 1

I wonder if Rosa was just heated afterwards and went to the bathroom to cool off in private rather than back to the locker room or catering where the rest of the wrestlers were? The rumor that she was scared or hiding got around when in actuality she was just trying to avoid the possibility of something unprofessional being said or done.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I wonder if Rosa was just heated afterwards and went to the bathroom to cool off in private rather than back to the locker room or catering where the rest of the wrestlers were? The rumor that she was scared or hiding got around when in actuality she was just trying to avoid the possibility of something unprofessional being said or done.

It could be all of this or that someone just made the shit up. This is wrestling,  being a flat out lie is always the most likely option. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Yeah,  i was probably dismissive about Rosa's skill set,  but I think @Elsalvajelocoactually made the point I was trying to illustrate much better than i did. Training for MMA isn't binary. You aren't either trained or not trained. I was watching a lot of old UFC fights during the pandemic and I'd say Royce Gracie's jiu-jitsu is pretty terrible compared to modern fighters. It's not that Royce was bad, he was great, but everyone watched those fights and he spent 20+ years improving on what he did. So Thunder Rosa had an MMA fight,  which is courageous, but doesn't say all that much about her skill level in a fight. You can train for years and never become a great fighter. There are some people who can walk in a gym and 6 months later be ready to fight legitimate competition. You can have all the skill in the world and have a glass jaw. You can have very little skill,  but crazy knockout power. What I'm saying is,  assuming someone who has fought a single fight is a trained MMA fighter is like assumng someone who knows CPR is a doctor. They may be a doctor,  but you shouldn't assume they are unless they've graduated from medical school.

Dude, there is like a ten minute video I saw a couple weeks ago about the son of infamous Hollywood producer Jon Peters short foray into MMA promoting in the mid-90s, the World Combat Championships or something to that effect. Renzo won a one night MMA tournament with techniques that wouldn't get you on Dana White's Contender series. So yeah, MMA changed a lot.

You can have very little skill,  but crazy knockout power.

See Deontay Wilder. And I love Deontay. BUT because he got into boxing super late (seems like we have more Michael Grant type HWs than Tysons and Holyfields who started at like 12 or 13, but I chalk that up to football and basketball), his form and everything is horrendous. Calling it amateurish would be insulting to actual amateurs because many of them have 200 fights and as many as 400 or 500 amateur fights if we're talking Cuba and the old Soviet nations against other skilled competitors. However, due to the fact he can knock people into an alternate dimension, he can have a long reign as champion. If he isn't too shellshocked and shopworned from the Fury fights, I wouldn't be surprised if he won another title.

What I'm saying is,  assuming someone who has fought a single fight is a trained MMA fighter is like assumng someone who knows CPR is a doctor. They may be a doctor,  but you shouldn't assume they are unless they've graduated from medical school.

I would also add (and my larger point earlier) that I think people shouldn't insinuate people are actually looking to fight people in the first place to even get to that point. It's just too gossip-y to me. Now I can see someone wanting to avoid a VERBAL confrontation and just chilling in the bathroom/restroom to take a mental break. That's a real fight or flight response. I can also see Jamie Hayter or someone else who felt like someone was being sloppy in the ring being like, "Bro/bitch, what the fuck are you doing?" as soon as they hit the backstage. I can see that happening. I don't see anyone being like "You accidently kneed me in the face and broke my nose...time to knuckle up". I don't see the automatic jump to physical confrontation especially in a business built around making shit look good and never making actual contact or hard contact. That's kinda crazy to me.

• Like 2

Update (read in the Gene Okerlund voice from WWF "UPDATE" segments of the late '80s/early '90s) on WBD and AEW:

AEW-Warner Bros. Discovery News: One Hour? Language? RELATIONSHIPS!?
Fightful/Grapsody's Will Washington has learned some significant details around the relationship between Warner Bros. Discovery and All Elite Wrestling.

A source inside Warner Bros. Discovery talked to us briefly about their current relationship with AEW and noted that while they still have a significant amount of time left on their contract, AEW programming in its current form "makes no negative waves" and overall holds up their end of the deal quite well, particularly when it comes to ratings performance.

Both sides talked about how pleased they were with the House of the Dragon and Shark Week integrations during AEW's summer programming, noting how those are two of the most important properties in the Warner Bros. Discovery wheelhouse and there was a high level of trust in having AEW handle them.

Regarding some of the rumors on social media about upcoming changes to AEW programming, including one about Dynamite being cut to an hour, WBD was completely unaware of the rumors while AEW officials knew of their circulation, but both assured us that they were false. It was stressed to us that the notion of the two sides having an adversarial relationship at all is not accurate, as the two sides meet frequently to discuss AEW programming.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter today noted that word had come from Warner Bros Discovery that they'd like the language toned down. AEW tells us that they believe this was a quote taken out of context from the all talent meeting on Wednesday regarding promos and talent going into business for themselves. The point was to stress that they could get network heat if they "fly too close to the sun" but we're told this was not an edict from the network.

"Makes no negative waves" seems like a gross underselling of AEW delivering good ratings especially relative to other sports/wrestling tv contracts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah. I was watching the cage match against Jericho from 2000 a couple of years back and thought to myself: "Why on earth were people shitting on X-Pac at one point again?"

Because when he jumped to WCW 96 he started doing that "sleeze bag" character and never updated it at all. So by 2002 he was really tired. He just kept doing the one thing that worked for him until it was well past its sell date. See also Billy Gunn and Dolph Ziggler

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't know where Rosa trained but Punk trained with Duke Ruffus so while he wasn't able to compete at the UFC level he could probably handle him against the average guy on the street. So yhea there's levels

Now I can tell The Ass boys apart and The Jackson 2 but those Paul boys trip me up

Well, now I feel bad for saying Rosa is difficult to work with if she can't feel her fucking legs. Jesus. That reminds of Paige in an interview with Renee a couple weeks before she returned to the ring saying that she wasn't able to turn her head at all in one direction and it cracks and pops to turn it in the other direction. Then a few weeks later at a house show she takes one dropkick and is fucking done. Like, no shit. You're just physically broken. I hope Rosa isn't in the same shape and isn't trying to rush back in a couple months when she should take more time off.

Then again, my wife just this week couldn't get up out of bed and could barely walk because her lower back pain was so bad (probably from the new motion of constantly lifting up a newborn in awkward ways for a whole year). She got an x-ray and two of her discs are compressed. So maybe it's something like that and PT will help Rosa out a ton.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm fine with it.  They seemingly went from being allowed to say "shit" once per hour to saying it multiple times in every promo.  I vaguely remember during Christian's heel run, there was a multi-person promo battle where Christian said "carny piece of shit" at least twice and whoever else was in the promo let loose with it a few times, too. 

Jade Cargill has made it her whole promo.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Octopus said:

The Ass Boys will now be the Butt Boys

The authority on cursing (Danhausen) has ruled that it is NOT a curse because Ass is their actual last name.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

From what I gather even the people that really like Sammy thinks he is kind of a goof and/or scatterbrain.  See Konnan

Speaking of Konnan, Eddie Kingston should have his suspension removed just for what he did to Konnan clout chasing friend on Twitter  

"Hello police, I'd like to report a murder..."

https://twitter.com/MadKing1981/status/1563147679399440385?t=PE367IafeXK5aANhhNiNxA&s=19

• Like 1

Lmao that's awesome. Disco's anti-woke stuff is moronic even by the zero level of intelligence that kind of discourse (disco-urse??) typically operates at. I remember his enraged response to the Flair plane ride from hell fallout was essentially "we've all done horrible things so when someone finds out about someone else's horrible thing they shouldn't be allowed to hold them accountable for it". 

• Like 4