DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

From what I gather even the people that really like Sammy thinks he is kind of a goof and/or scatterbrain.  See Konnan

Speaking of Konnan, Eddie Kingston should have his suspension removed just for what he did to Konnan clout chasing friend on Twitter  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, just drew said:

All good. I don’t think I’ve gotten which Ass Boy was which a single time…

I don't know which Uso, which Young Buck,  or which Ass Boy is which and I don't think I ever will. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

But according to JR on Dynamite this week, Colton is "The Other Guy." 

I thought he was referencing the shenanigans outside with Stokely and "The Other Guy" being Austin in this situation 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It pains me that Dante Martin does everything Sammy can do, but smoother, better and more cohesively, yet isn't an overacting, full of himself clown.....so I don't get to see him on my TV as often as Sammy.

Sammy is PERFECT heel.  He is a total heat machine.  He is the best heel.  Dante Martin is totally different animal all together.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I respectfully disagree.  Sammy is X-Pac heat for me, but with more convoluted flips.

X-Pac was awesome.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Right up until X-Factor anyway. But he was awesome after that like his lil TNA run and WSX.

Meltzer saying WBD is asking AEW to tone down the language. JUST AS WE ARE GETTING SPICY?! Fuck that! 

Thunder Rosa was on busted open in the last day or so. Among other things she said she’s been in extreme pain a long time and currently can’t feel her legs. Sounds pretty serious. I hope she’s able to fully recover…

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah. I was watching the cage match against Jericho from 2000 a couple of years back and thought to myself: "Why on earth were people shitting on X-Pac at one point again?"

He takes multiple brutal bumps in that, gets injured, but still makes sure to take the lion tamer on top of the cage. Guy was a champ. 

• Like 3

Waltman was always great. X-Pac the character was like a mall cinnamon roll; fun for a bit, but stale super quick. 

I always thought Waltman was like a really great leadoff hitter in baseball. A traditional leadoff hitter. You don’t necessarily have to have one to win a World Series, but it certainly makes winning one easier. It’s sad that he lost so much of his prime time substance abuse, because he was a fantastic tv worker who got reactions consistently during the hottest period in the businesses history…

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, just drew said:

Waltman was always great. X-Pac the character was like a mall cinnamon roll; fun for a bit, but stale super quick.

Edited by Dog
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Right up until X-Factor anyway. But he was awesome after that like his lil TNA run and WSX.

Meltzer saying WBD is asking AEW to tone down the language. JUST AS WE ARE GETTING SPICY?! Fuck that! 

Fitting that folks are talking about X-Pac because my immediate reaction to the language thing was "You think you can tell me what to do? You know who you're talkin' to?" followed by multiple crotch chops.

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

I don't understand the whole, "trained MMA fighter," thing.  She's not Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, or Jon Jones, she's someone who had one MMA fight and got her ass kicked.  I've trained with some people who had MMA fights, am I a trained MMA fighter?  They didn't tear me limb from limb, nor could they.  I don't know if this story is true or false, but we shouldn't give anyone credit for their MMA skills unless they've shown that they have some MMA skills.  

Do you give CM Punk credit for his MMA skills?

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

Let me tell you, if you wanted to, you could probably get an MMA fight this weekend.  I know a dude who "trained" for about 3 weeks, signed up for a fight, and got his ass kicked.  There is no reason to believe that someone who has one MMA fight is better at fighting than someone on the street who really wants to kick their ass.  

Since I think the hiding in the bathroom aspect of the story is complete BS (cause unless someone was hiding the bathroom with Thunder Rosa or sitting in a stall, how would you know), I don't really care about the whole someone is going to beat someone up stuff. However, I will say I give Rosa a modicum of credit for actually fighting in a reputable MMA organization. She could have done what A LOT of folks have done, gone down to Mexico and fought window washers, secretaries, and desk clerks, and built up a record with no one being wise to it. She also could have done what Ilima Lei-Macfarlane did and start her career in an absolutely reprehensible organization like XFS that makes their bones on criminal mismatches between people who have some training and folks that clearly have none at all. Hell, IMO at least, her career is probably still marred or overshadowed by her KO'ing that "soccer mom" who had no business being anywhere near a cage, a ring, a jiu-jitsu mat, or whatever fighting surface you can think of. There are millions of people who have seen that video who have no idea that Macfarlane went on to have a halfway decent career in MMA. Unfortunately or ironically, that video went viral again just weeks ago right around the time of Macfarlane's last fight (which would have been her retirement fight had she lost). So now there are people that think that fight just happened when it happened several years ago (January 2015 to be exact). Weirdly enough, when Macfarlane started her run in Bellator, there were actual MMA fans who thought she was a knockout artist when in actuality that video is akin to someone getting assaulted in a World Star Hip Hop video. That one knockout was in no way representative or indicative of what she actually could do or did in MMA.

Rosa could have done that or won like 15 consecutive amateur MMA fights over like some sixteen year old blue belts and people that watch MMA instructionals online. The sky is the limit when it comes to papering your record.

In this era of the sport, I don't think anyone can be a wrestler AND an MMA fighter at the same time. You either do one or the other.  And the sooner you make that choice, the better. Which leads me to the Punk thing...

I do give Punk credit for one thing: He could have easily wiggled his way out of fighting, period. His whole signing only happened because the UFC had no stars really at the time, was transitioning between eras (GSP retired, Anderson Silva's reign came to an end, Brock was pretty much gone, Ronda wasn't a big, big star just yet), and was desperate. In that time between announcing he had signed with the UFC and when he actually fought, the UFC's fortune had turned around immensely. He could have said "fuck it" and just told Dana "I'm good." That's likely what he should've done because he would gotten more credit just doing some lower level NAGA competition and winning a bronze medal or doing what Tom Hardy just did, competing in some charity BJJ event, and have videos of you submitting just some random people. Even if he had some aptitude for MMA, there is less upside as you go up the ranks. I think Jake Paul is gonna be proof of that, eventually. Jake Paul is 60x better than Punk was at any type of fighting, BUT because he has some skills and a name, he's going to have to fight someone halfway decent. And he's going to become a bigger meme than Punk could have ever imagined because said halfway decent person is going to put him on a spectacular highlight reel. It's going to trend on Twitter for at least 24 hours. At least Logan knew better and decided WWE was more his thing so he isn't pressured into fighting anyone relevant. Jake really wants to be taken seriously. To me, Jake taking this seriously is as laughable as Punk if not more just because there is virtually zero upside in fighting if you didn't take this up at an early enough age. Even with Brock, the fact he just entered the sport as a freak athlete with legit credentials (granted he won a national wrestling title against a weak field) wasn't enough to overcome he had not taken enough time to learn the other aspects of MMA. Hell, same with Lashley. 

If this isn't what you do all the time, wrestler or not, your ceiling is much lower than everyone else. That's the reality of combat sports. That's why I find the notion of "well, Rosa wasn't good in her one fight so theoretically, she cannot actually fight" silly because unless we're bringing back Brawl for All so the business can get more exposed than thigh slapping, it doesn't really matter. Pie facing people seems to be about the limit for actual physical confrontation backstage. If that's the threshold, then Rosa has nothing to worry about. Moreover, if you are confronting people backstage with the threat of a physical altercation or just the idea you might be a real issue backstage, your time in the company will not be long. Ask Ivelisse about that. Long gone are the days of the Harris twins hemming up Shawn Michaels at MSG and Jacques Rougeau fucking up Dynamite Kid at a TV taping. People will have disagreements all the time, but folks enjoy also having their (well paying) jobs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I'm fine with it.  They seemingly went from being allowed to say "shit" once per hour to saying it multiple times in every promo.  I vaguely remember during Christian's heel run, there was a multi-person promo battle where Christian said "carny piece of shit" at least twice and whoever else was in the promo let loose with it a few times, too. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm fine with it.  They seemingly went from being allowed to say "shit" once per hour to saying it multiple times in every promo.  I vaguely remember during Christian's heel run, there was a multi-person promo battle where Christian said "carny piece of shit" at least twice and whoever else was in the promo let loose with it a few times, too. 

It was kind of getting to the point of sounding like a kid that was suddenly allowed to cuss.  Like, my five-year-old said "shit" once, I made the mistake of chuckling, and it was on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3