DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure I’d buy that Rosa is cowering in the bathroom stall like Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls. She’s a trained mma fighter. She’s not particularly good at it, but unless Jamie is also trained I’m not sure why Rosa would be afraid of her, and I am certain Rosa isn’t hiding from Britt…

Maybe it's one of those ones where because she's a trained MMA fighter, she wants to avoid confrontation with someone she can't stand, but could easily tear limb from limb if she lost her self control? Seems like it'd be easier to just apologise for the nose breakage, but now we're just speculating about speculation.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

There's text going around alleging to be Sammy's statement to Fightful about the incident with Eddie, and if it's real then I'm going to go out on the limb and say there's no way Tony or his people approved that...

Oh goodness it's real.

Per Fightful:

Sammmy Guevara issued the following to Fightful after our report of the Eddie Kingston suspension. The full context can be seen in the previous article.

"As a professional you communicate things that you don’t want to be said (like other people I’ve been in programs with and have worked with Matt Hardy, Jericho and others) 

and I did communicate of what I didn’t want to be said in this angle and Eddie didn’t. But Eddie did not do the same and Eddie did not mention to me or the coaches or TK or anyone in AEW what he didn’t  want said.

So after Tay’s and my match with Sky Blue and Dante I cut a promo on Eddie insulting Eddie and the fans as a heel. Which I know the thing everyone loves to do is hate Me & Tay so I’m the perfect person to play this ass hole character for Eddie to ultimately beat at All Out. I see what people say online about Eddie and his appearance. (Which anyone who legitimately shames Eddie for how he looks can go to hell, it’s the same people who shame me for being too small) so Sammy Guevara the character I could be the physical person playing that person that Eddie can shut up at All Out.

But Eddie did not do the professional thing and communicate to me, which if he did I never would have said it cause the last thing I want to do is hurt someone for real. 

So after the promo I get to the back and Eddie is flipping out yelling “YOU CANT CALL ME FAT” over and over as I’m trying to walk down the stairs in gorilla making a big scene. People get in between us, Eddie tries to pie face me and he more like touches my face, it was weird. And everyone backs everyone up. It was unfortunate cause this promo was on a taped show and easily could have been edited (which they ended up doing anyways) i know this isn’t Eddie’s first time being aggressive and getting out of control backstage. I know he had to do some kind of anger management after this whole thing. This whole thing was very unnecessary but it Is what it is, Live & learn I guess, onto the next we go."

Guevara requested to be quoted directly on the matter.

Even if Sammy's got a case, this could be... unhelpful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

To Eddie Kingston's credit, when asked for comment about what happened, he kept the high road and took responsibility. He knows his personal fight is a lifelong one, and he's not giving up. 

Sammy Guevara sounds like a spoiled teen who's coasted through life with little or no consequence for his actions. With AEW talking about having "coaches and advisors" in the back as middlemen for Tony Khan, it may be wise for them, as well as some of AEW's veteran talent (Jericho, Billy Gunn, etc.) to really sit down with Guevara, basically an intervention, and talk with him about his words and actions, how they may cost him his seat as one of the "Pillars." 

With Thunder Rosa, after all I've read, I have to wonder if she's having a mental health crisis in addition to her physical injuries. With all that she's doing in AEW -- wrestler, blogger, heavily involved in the company's community outreach, being a face for the Spanish-language audience -- and when you add promoting her personal brand, getting her indie group running, being a wife and mom, etc., I'm somewhat concerned that all of this is taking a toll on her. She's taken her role as a Mexican-American role model seriously, and she has a great reputation with her fans, particularly children. But perhaps being put on this pedestal was too much for her to handle.

I was talking with a neighbor earlier this week who happens to be a Lutheran minister. I hadn't seen him in a couple of weeks and asked if he was OK. He said he was diagnosed with double pneumonia and was on strict bed rest for over two weeks. He admitted that he had symptoms 4-6 weeks before that, but refused to stop working. He didn't want to let his congregation down, didn't want them to think he was failing them. It took his wife essentially dragging him to an urgent care to get him back on track.

I thought about that chat when reading about Rosa. Deep down, I think she is a good person who, like the minister, doesn't want to let anyone down, even if it means hurting herself and others in the process as she only gets worse. Perhaps the physical and mental rests can help her reset for the better, improve relationships with those in the locker room she may have hurt, and come back stronger.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

All the shoots are actually works, and all the works are actually shoots.

You haven’t met Sammy before. Loves a work. Even worked Pam into thinking he was marrying her. He’s a pro.

I am all in favor of this new Chaotic Era. I both love the Mox/ Punk squash and dislike how close we are to All Out. I’m buzzing about possibilities but also questioning buying the PPV. I was in the same boat with the last two ppvs, ended up buying the MJF plane one and not the Fobidden one. Forbidding Door was a heralded event with wonky build, so maybe All Out will be that? Is Penta still gonna work his spirit meter? I’m likely in, but possibly can’t do to money. We’ll see.

The only part of the chaos I really don’t like is when it leads to killing of stories without resolutions (Sammy having a punchable face and us not being able to see said punching).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, just drew said:

I’m not sure I’d buy that Rosa is cowering in the bathroom stall like Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls. She’s a trained mma fighter. She’s not particularly good at it, but unless Jamie is also trained I’m not sure why Rosa would be afraid of her, and I am certain Rosa isn’t hiding from Britt…

Unless Rosa is deathly afraid of seeing the dentist?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Maybe it's one of those ones where because she's a trained MMA fighter, she wants to avoid confrontation with someone she can't stand, but could easily tear limb from limb if she lost her self control? Seems like it'd be easier to just apologise for the nose breakage, but now we're just speculating about speculation.

I don't understand the whole, "trained MMA fighter," thing.  She's not Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, or Jon Jones, she's someone who had one MMA fight and got her ass kicked.  I've trained with some people who had MMA fights, am I a trained MMA fighter?  They didn't tear me limb from limb, nor could they.  I don't know if this story is true or false, but we shouldn't give anyone credit for their MMA skills unless they've shown that they have some MMA skills.  

Do you give CM Punk credit for his MMA skills?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't understand the whole, "trained MMA fighter," thing.  She's not Georges St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, or Jon Jones, she's someone who had one MMA fight and got her ass kicked.  I've trained with some people who had MMA fights, am I a trained MMA fighter?  They didn't tear me limb from limb, nor could they.  I don't know if this story is true or false, but we shouldn't give anyone credit for their MMA skills unless they've shown that they have some MMA skills.  

Do you give CM Punk credit for his MMA skills?

I thought she'd had a couple of fights, but you're right, it's just one. Obviously she's no Valentina Shevchenko, but if she was confident enough in her skills to have a cage fight with someone (and she did at least make it to a decision), she'd probably believe she could do some damage to someone who spends most of her days rennovating teeth.

I give CM Punk some credit for his MMA skills, just not a fraction of the credit I'd give someone who'd ever actually won an MMA fight. I do respect him for giving it a go and presumably training hard for it, even if he did get his face pushed in, twice.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

I thought she'd had a couple of fights, but you're right, it's just one. Obviously she's no Valentina Shevchenko, but if she was confident enough in her skills to have a cage fight with someone (and she did at least make it to a decision), she'd probably believe she could do some damage to someone who spends most of her days rennovating teeth.

I give CM Punk some credit for his MMA skills, just not a fraction of the credit I'd give someone who'd ever actually won an MMA fight. I do respect him for giving it a go and presumably training hard for it, even if he did get his face pushed in, twice.

Let me tell you, if you wanted to, you could probably get an MMA fight this weekend.  I know a dude who "trained" for about 3 weeks, signed up for a fight, and got his ass kicked.  There is no reason to believe that someone who has one MMA fight is better at fighting than someone on the street who really wants to kick their ass.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, (BP) said:

“Tony, I’m trying to eat in peace and Santana and Ruby are standing by catering  seething again.” 

Ortiz. Sadly, I doubt Santana is doing much standing at all atm, since his knee turned to confetti at Blood & Guts…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Ortiz. Sadly, I doubt Santana is doing much standing at all atm, since his knee turned to confetti at Blood & Guts…

Oof, I googled them to figure out which one was which and I still got it wrong. 

5 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Oof, I googled them to figure out which one was which and I still got it wrong. 

All good. I don’t think I’ve gotten which Ass Boy was which a single time…