DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

AEW once licensed Cinderella for a video package based on one of my posts here (I'm 99% sure) so I am once again making a respectful request of our venerated longest reigning CEO in Pro-Wrestling:

Wednesday Night. Rights belong to Roadrunner Records, now a subsidiary of Warner Music Group (!!!!) and notably, NOT owned by your competition. TK, you know what to do, hook it up:

https://youtu.be/DMdqsS0a9tY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Those dudes are good dudes, and some of them are fans so I'd be very happy to see them get a little AEW $$$

, I have tweeted KSE, Adam D, TK, Punk, Roadrunner Records, and Warner Records trying to make this happen for real

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm usually not in favor of carbon copying entire angles, especially when the angle is actively in progress in the opposing company, but the more I see photos of Wardlow and FTR with all the belts I really think the best direction is to just keep them all unbeaten for at least a year with Wardlow winning the world title at some point and the three of them  becoming AEW's version of the Bloodline. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2022 at 8:46 AM, SprintingFromAmerica said:

AEW is bloated af at this point. There's no getting around it. 

Here's the cold truth about Cool Hand and Daddy Magic. I love the fact they they got an opportunity, and I like them. And it was a nice f**k you to the competition. But if they'd never been fully signed I seriously doubt AEW Dynamite would have been a worse show. I'm only singling them out because Khan mentioned them.

I understand why you sign Andrade, why you sign Cole.....but they were not needed. Andrade/Rush vs Private Party is not a feud the world was crying out for. I'm not that convinced people want to see CFO feud with Young/Hung Bucks/Omega.

Why are the Factory involved in the Starks/Hobbs feud? Now I quite like Marshall, and I think Comoroto's new look is funny - but good grief.

I'm bored of Jungle Boy vs Christian before it even began. It will take more than a good match to save it as this point in my mind. It had better be something. Christian remains a questionable signing.

I hope Tony has the guts to make some tough decisions i.e. ship some people off to ROH, and have someone else run it so he can focus on AEW, and principally Dynamite. 

I still tend to think the Punk vs everyone stuff is a work. Punk's pretty content to be a jerk, but that's hardly an unknown quantity. The decision to take the title off Hangman was a mistake, pure and simple. In all honesty, I would reverse it as soon as possible. 

The biggest asset you can be in wrestling is a draw folks pay to see.  I'll admit 2.0 aren't draws.  Not everyone can be a draw.

However, 2.0 has value similar to that of the Acclaimed- they are folks who can lose and stay over.  That's the second most important asset you can have as a wrestler.  Now that AEW is seeing if the Acclaimed can be a draw, you need another team who can entertain enough that folks don't care if they get their ass kicked all the time.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

The biggest asset you can be in wrestling is a draw folks pay to see.  I'll admit 2.0 aren't draws.  Not everyone can be a draw.

However, 2.0 has value similar to that of the Acclaimed- they are folks who can lose and stay over.  That's the second most important asset you can have as a wrestler.  Now that AEW is seeing if the Acclaimed can be a draw, you need another team who can entertain enough that folks don't care if they get their ass kicked all the time.

All of this. My old rule of thumb is “who can be in the opening match on a house show to a lot of heat, lose to whatever up and coming babyface you have, then open the next house show in town 3 months later and still have heat?”.

It’s the New Age Outlaws Principle, or according to other scholars, the Tully Blanchard Corollary. Acclaimed have it, and I agree 2.0 are en route to having it. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jenalysis said:

However, 2.0 has value similar to that of the Acclaimed- they are folks who can lose and stay over.  

FKA 2.0 are not over like The Acclaimed were a year ago though and just don't have the same value. Cool Hand and Daddy Magic are over on DVDVR, which is not the same thing.

Just now, SprintingFromAmerica said:

FKA 2.0 are not over like The Acclaimed were a year ago though and just don't have the same value. Cool Hand and Daddy Magic are over on DVDVR, which is not the same thing.

Like 72 times better. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Speaking of the New Age Outlaws, is "Oh you didn't know" etc copyrighted by Vince? Having Road Dogg and Caster share mic duties during the Acclaimed's entrance with Assman would be the kind of cheap nostalgic crap u could 1000% get behind.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

To go into more detail, beyond "JLowe truly hated the damned New Age Outlaws and especially that entrance".

First, there's no reason for AEW to pay tribute to the WWE Attitude Era beyond the Bret Hart in-ring stuff. It goes against the house style.

Second, The Acclaimed were already getting way over without Billy Gunn, it might be argued that it was the Acclaimed who got Gunn Club over. Yes, "scissor me Daddy Ass" is funny but in the long run they don't really need Billy Gunn, especially if they are going to be a face team.

Third, The Acclaimed already have their signature entrance. If Max wanted to work the line "Oh you didn't know" into one of his raps, sure, that would fit his mischievous diss rap style. But adding one of the corniest dudes from the corny ass Attitude era would be a huge anchor.

That said, if you really want to do a one-off (and I personally really really don't), you have Road Dogg come out with the Ass Boys at the PPV and do the entrance with them.

• Like 6

Road Dogg has been all over social media begging AEW to sign him. He was slagging them off for ages while he still worked for WWE, and then turned into a shameful TK sycophant as soon as he was looking for work.

Also, isn't he a Qanon MAGA guy now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Question: Why do so many people center MJF's grievances with ex-WWE guys when talking about his return or spculating on any potential faction he may or may not be forming? I just watched his rant again to refresh my memory and make sure I wasn't mistaken, and his bone to pick is with the fans preferring anyone and the boss paying anyone more than himself. He has grievances against the "all friends" group who had the red carpet rolled out at the start of the company, the fans' "untrained faves" who "chase star ratings," and people who are "reckless" and "dump people on their heads" in addition to the "ex-WWE guys" who Tony's hoarding his money for. He's not targeting ex-WWE guys so much as he's targeting everyone, from Matt and Nick Jackson on down on to Miro. I find it odd that while everyone's been radio silent, people have focused so much on one line in a seven minute promo. 

Because he said, "Make sure he hoards all that money so he can give it to all the new ex-WWE guys he keeps bringing in that can't lace my goddamn boots!"

Edited by TheVileOne

On 8/18/2022 at 10:03 AM, Zimbra said:

I finally subscribed to the Fite AEW thing, what are some bangers from the first two-ish years of Dynamite that I should go back and check out?  I started watching regularly around the time of Blood and Guts 1, but watched a couple of times before that, like for the Pac/Omega ironman match.

Have you seen the Brody Tribute show?

There was also a really nice Orange Cassidy vs Matt Hardy match

On 8/17/2022 at 9:53 AM, Leonidas said:

Returning to the women's talk, I think you've all covered most of the matches there are to see and hopefully we'll get in the next calendar year.

However, when rummaging through a toyshop and buying her figure recently, I was reminded of how much I miss Shida. She got done dirty. Carried the women's division on her back during the pandemic, and aside from the awesome Deeb feud has barely been seen since. 

Is she full time to AEW and wrestling in general? If anyone could work a "I deserve the applauds and accolades Rosa is currently getting" heel turn it would be her. Imagine she does a deal with the devil and starts a vicious tag team with Deeb? *Vince meme template insert here*

I thought she was going to do a slow heel turn when she lost the title with out being able to defend it with fans in attendance and losing to Deeb in what would have been her 50th win

On 8/20/2022 at 8:16 AM, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

If we're going to go by what gets a million viewers, I for one anticipate AEW becoming more like the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

lord theres probably a ton over lap content wise with those semi-scripted housewives shows

Not sure when it's going to happen, or if it's every day of Gamescom, but AEW are doing exhibition matches in Germany at the event (that starts today in about 30 minutes).

The video game is playable on the convention floor, too. So I'm sure we'll see footage of it in action pretty soon.

vs29bbgjghj91.png?width=432&auto=webp&s=

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Not sure when it's going to happen, or if it's every day of Gamescom, but AEW are doing exhibition matches in Germany at the event (that starts today in about 30 minutes).

The video game is playable on the convention floor, too. So I'm sure we'll see footage of it in action pretty soon.

vs29bbgjghj91.png?width=432&auto=webp&s=

That's a neat little set at least. I like those entrance tunnels.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1