DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

Nope. Not until Paul asks. No one read that link. Respect the process.

—-

So I’m just derpin here and haven’t coffeed yet. Last ppv had verified reports on MJF being disgruntled and even buying plan tickets for a raise. What if this is working the newsletters? We have an angle of Stokley handing out business cards to disgruntled workers and a soon to return MJF that had an anti-WWE guys promo. What if this leads to an uneasy alliance between Page and Maxwell of all things? Or all out war? 

I don’t believe this but it is interesting to note how the timing is similar to the last behind the scenes drama. Maybe it’ll be Punk getting a train ticket.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm not sure an ROH invasion angle would've worked or made sense. The amount of spotlight ROH continues to get in AEW makes no sense to me. ROH really had little value as a current brand and was largely irrelevant when Tony Khan bought it.

ROH angle leveraging the older superstars who didn’t get enough mainstream credit in their day for innovating & were forced to take over the world under a different sports entertainment umbrella vs the young AEW stars (pillars) who have had it easy with beautiful production off the bat and Khan’s $$$ guiding the way for them. Writes itself, gives angles to get the young AEW stars over with meaningful stakes, creates an overall narrative arc to the show that has been completely missing. AEW young stars go over because they haven’t succeeded where ROH couldn’t just because of the $$$, But because they’re that damn good. 

You buy the ROH product, you contract the biggest names ROH ever had .. then the only real throw back you have is Punk coming out to Miseria Cantare. Bizarrely underwhelming use of the mythology & context 

21 minutes ago, A_K said:

ROH angle leveraging the older superstars who didn’t get enough mainstream credit in their day for innovating & were forced to take over the world under a different sports entertainment umbrella vs the young AEW stars (pillars) who have had it easy with beautiful production off the bat and Khan’s $$$ guiding the way for them. Writes itself, gives angles to get the young AEW stars over with meaningful stakes, creates an overall narrative arc to the show that has been completely missing. AEW young stars go over because they haven’t succeeded where ROH couldn’t just because of the $$$, But because they’re that damn good. 

You buy the ROH product, you contract the biggest names ROH ever had .. then the only real throw back you have is Punk coming out to Miseria Cantare. Bizarrely underwhelming use of the mythology & context 

I think I'd prefer to wait patiently as the current ownership make their way thru all the insane workload and steps necessary to get weekly TV. Only judging by the two PPVS and the AEW product, but I think it'll be well worth this seemingly lengthy wait. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I think I'd prefer to wait patiently as the current ownership make their way thru all the insane workload and steps necessary to get weekly TV. Only judging by the two PPVS and the AEW product, but I think it'll be well worth this seemingly lengthy wait. 

Have you seen Rampage’s ratings? They can’t juggle 2 shows, never mind 3. ROH will be an absolute bomb if it ever gets near network TV (which it won’t, by the way — quote me)

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

If we're going to go by what gets a million viewers, I for one anticipate AEW becoming more like the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Be careful of what you wish for, since it would just mean more Dubstep, give or take a fad or two!

...or Emocore! You may want to retact that wish.

Fair point, although Emocore is more tolerable than Nu Metal. And a lot of wrestling looks are still stuck in the early 2000s so it matches.

AEW has some good stuff with some variety out there. Keith Lee’s theme has a contemporary trap beat (even though I hate trap), Ricky Starks, Jade Cargill, Toni’s mash-up of Heart and a 70s mecha anime theme song. They had a number of good themes for black history month and then everyone ditched them,

47 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I meant to complain about this when they showed the footage a few weeks ago, but thank god north american fans don't sing during PAC's matches like they apparently do in rev pro.. 

I liked the first time they sang the “he’s a bastard” song, but it does/would get old. Then again, so does dueling chants and Fozzy.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Fair point, although Emocore is more tolerable than Nu Metal. And a lot of wrestling looks are still stuck in the early 2000s so it matches.

AEW has some good stuff with some variety out there. Keith Lee’s theme has a contemporary trap beat (even though I hate trap), Ricky Starks, Jade Cargill, Toni’s mash-up of Heart and a 70s mecha anime theme song. They had a number of good themes for black history month and then everyone ditched them,

For workout music, I can do both Nu-Metal and Emocore, outside of gym, no way!

AEW's in-house theme crew is amazing! Jay Lethal's new theme, Omega's Battle Cry, Daddy Magic&Cool Hand's amazing synth-wave theme, Statlander's theme, Jamie Hayter's electro dance theme is similar to the stuff I have dozens of CD's of at home. The themes seem to have great variety, too.

...and of course Darby Allin's theme of which I have hundreds of CD's that sound similar.

Edited by Shartnado
Darby has a great theme, too
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, JLowe said:

And a lot of wrestling looks are still stuck in the early 2000s so it matches.

I've been noticing this more and more too and I find it vaguely irritating, if harmless. Funny how Jericho is 50+ and has basically the same long hair and scruff look as Cole, Page, Omega, Juice, Finlay, White, etc. The rate at which I see wrestlers with this look corresponds to how little I see it as a general look amongst dudes on the street so maybe it's an industry solidarity thing like when everyone in metal in the 90s adopted the short hair and soulpatch even though you didn't work with anyone with that look. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I've been noticing this more and more too and I find it vaguely irritating, if harmless. Funny how Jericho is 50+ and has basically the same long hair and scruff look as Cole, Page, Omega, Juice, Finlay, White, etc. The rate at which I see wrestlers with this look corresponds to how little I see it as a general look amongst dudes on the street so maybe it's an industry solidarity thing like when everyone in metal in the 90s adopted the short hair and soulpatch even though you didn't work with anyone with that look. 

Well, I have like Jungle Boy's hair and Omega's goatee (or whatever that was a Van Dyke, I don't know) from his heel champ run last year. You wouldn't guess the hair part though, since I keep it wrapped up pretty tight when in public (or at work, obviously where I always wear a bandana, too).

...I guess Omega is kind of stretching it. My facial hair is exactly what Keith Lee wears on his face these days

Edited by Shartnado
No, wait...
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Well, I have like Jungle Boy's hair and Omega's goatee (or whatever that was a Van Dyke, I don't know) from his heel champ run last year. You wouldn't guess the hair part though, since I keep it wrapped up pretty tight when in public (or at work, obviously where I always wear a bandana, too).

This is a good point. Hangman backstage with the bun and bandana looks much less "conspicuously 2022 wrestler" to me than he does when, say, he's trading springboards with Finlay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Have you seen Rampage’s ratings? They can’t juggle 2 shows, never mind 3. ROH will be an absolute bomb if it ever gets near network TV (which it won’t, by the way — quote me)

What makes you think AEW could juggle an ROH invasion in that case?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

AEW needs to be more focused on their own product and TV than worrying about ROH. Warner Bros. Discovery is making cuts and offloading shows left and right, that's including content they own and produce. 

ROH should be on a backburner and not even a thing right now until AEW is well and fully established and gets its next TV deal sorted out through this ridiculous scam of a merger and a garbage scam of a streaming service.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

AEW needs to be more focused on their own product and TV than worrying about ROH. Warner Bros. Discovery is making cuts and offloading shows left and right, that's including content they own and produce. 

I've been wondering lately if AEW might be better off anchoring a smaller network, like Paramount or something (whose streaming service I've heard very good things about) but I have no idea what their capability or experience in live programming is currently, or past when TNA and Belator were live often.

To me, it seems like the really important part of the Turner deal was being able to push the show during NBA, MLB, March Madness etc. and to do stuff like Jericho on Impractical Jokers, Cody on Go Big, the Shaq tag match, etc. Obviously, that sort of thing is still hugely important, but it might be a little less so three years on than it was during year one; that's something only those in charge can weigh.

• Like 2

I think Punk will stay a babyface and will regain the belt and hold it until at least Spring.  Supposedly, the original plan was for Punk to go on a long undefeated streak.  TK also supposedly wants Punk as the top guy through the tv negotiations in the hope that he will pull in some causal fans who recognize his name from WWE.  He is also supposedly one of the few names on the roster tv execs recognize.  

TK didn’t insist on the convoluted “interim champion” angle to put the belt on Page or Moxley.  I think Punk will win the belt and hold it until spring or summer 2023.  Whether that’s best for business or not, I dunno.  I don’t think it will quell the locker room tension though.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Sad 1

Coincidentally I was just revisiting the 5 day Luger title reign from August 1998 and it got me wondering if Moxley will win on Wednesday then drop it back to Punk at All Out. Not sure what the logic would be other than to give both guys a win but maybe that's logic enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

ROH should be on a backburner and not even a thing right now until AEW is well and fully established and gets its next TV deal sorted out through this ridiculous scam of a merger and a garbage scam of a streaming service.

On 4/19/2022 at 5:27 PM, A_K said:

I think going forward streaming companies are going to be much more selective & restrained on what content is purchased and when. Netflix share value is down 50% in 6 months; upstart stream companies like Fubo are down as much as 85%+ in a year. It’s going to be a harder sell in future, and dependent on eyes on the content / subscription levels. But that’s a different conversation for a different time.

The above was back in April. Trust me, I'm aware of the TV financial squeeze + plus white elephant that was the "streaming content value" .. I called it way before it was even on the radar of anyone else here. 

When you have narrative content like ROH you utilise it narratively. There was value to drain from it in the context / mythology it granted to some sizeable talent they signed. Instead, they squandered the momentum of Punk / Danielson etc.; they have not used the IP at their finger tips in an intelligent or elegant way. ROH only has value as legacy-mythos: it has 0 value as 'start up' intellectual capital, it never ever did and never ever will. They had all those legacy story points to explore in a modern context .. and instead created convoluted (and inelegantly named) needless story points like "Blackpool Combat Club". 

They needed to strip back all the added bullshit shows / Youtube nonsense etc. they had going on and create a smooth, single arc to get behind that could amplify the qualities of the young talent they already had. Instead, they are in a narrative-mire. Talent like Jericho (who have precisely 0 upside for the long term future) are still being devoted priceless minutes while others like Jungle Boy are being put in situations that amplify their weaknesses. Again, this isn't hindsight talking or 50/50 vision .. called this all out literally 6-9 months ago ..its going exactly as expected.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

Teams like Private Party really have it tough. The tag division is so deep that they could go for another year or two and still never get the belts. Obviously the solution is to create US Tag Titles and make them web show exclusive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Teams like Private Party really have it tough. The tag division is so deep that they could go for another year or two and still never get the belts. Obviously the solution is to create US Tag Titles and make them web show exclusive.

I'd be all for US Tag Titles, but if we wait long enough and nothing changes, the ROH tag titles may take exactly that place.

• Like 3

If MJF is coming back soon, he should double-turn with Punk.

I was half-joking when I started typing that out, but it actually ties into his "ex-WWE guy" shtick perfectly. "I hate to say I told you so ..."

• Like 1