DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

45 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I know these "open the floodgates" type of speculative fantasy booking questions are lame (but FUN) and so I ask: 

With WWE once again being the "hot promotion" and Cody's defection inspiring some faith in the company's new direction;

1) Are there any major WWE names you could still see heading to AEW in the foreseeable future?

2) Regardless of likelihood, who from WWE do you think would be the best fit/have the most to offer? Any you would like to see jump to AEW just for the hell of it and a get fresh coat of paint? 

I was really hoping Mustafa Ali would make the switch back when he was asking for his release. I could see him having a huge amount of growth in a short amount of time working with dudes like Danielson and Moxley, and he's got that "nice guy" likeableness that seems wasted in the more cynical WWE milieu. 

My dream list to make the jump, in order of most likely to least likely. I'd love to see anyone of these guys reinvent themselves or just hook up on the other side of the fence.

Xavier Woods, Shelton Benjamin, Angel Garza, Humberto, Shinsuke Nakamura, Jinder Mahal, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, Robert Roode, Baron Corbin, The Miz

Women's Side

Sasha (it feels like a given if possible but only time will tell), Nikki Cross, Zelina, Shayna Baszler, Asuka, Natalya

Edited by porksweats
added miz

This has nothing to do with logic, it's just a "gimme" list, and not very likely at that:

Pete Dunne

Mustafa Ali

Donovan Dijak

Ricochet

Tyler Bate

WALTER

No idea how to put them into the roster and do them justice, but I'd imagine some people will also jump (back) to WWE, so maybe that's how!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I finally subscribed to the Fite AEW thing, what are some bangers from the first two-ish years of Dynamite that I should go back and check out?  I started watching regularly around the time of Blood and Guts 1, but watched a couple of times before that, like for the Pac/Omega ironman match.

Here you go:

Hope that helps. Need to post an updated version.

• Like 2

The Miz would be so against the grain that he would probably thrive in AEW.

The Creed Brothers would be an awesome fit for AEW's tag division.

Some of the guys listed here I think are going to get better shakes in WWE now that HHH is in charge (Ricochet, Dijakovic, Dunne, etc), but Roddy and the Creeds as a new Trio would be awesome to see (I don't need even more of an UE reunion)

11 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I know these "open the floodgates" type of speculative fantasy booking questions are lame (but FUN) and so I ask: 

With WWE once again being the "hot promotion" and Cody's defection inspiring some faith in the company's new direction;

1) Are there any major WWE names you could still see heading to AEW in the foreseeable future?

2) Regardless of likelihood, who from WWE do you think would be the best fit/have the most to offer? Any you would like to see jump to AEW just for the hell of it and a get fresh coat of paint? 

I was really hoping Mustafa Ali would make the switch back when he was asking for his release. I could see him having a huge amount of growth in a short amount of time working with dudes like Danielson and Moxley, and he's got that "nice guy" likeableness that seems wasted in the more cynical WWE milieu. 

Is WWE the hot promotion? Has there been a substantial shift in direction so far? I find it unwatchable so I can't say, but I don't know that it really has more than people wishcasting so far.

1: I think there won't be the kind of misused talent that has been making the jump since HHH is said to favor different styles/people and will fight harder to keep his people during the next (not the NXT) round of budget cuts. So the question becomes will Tony K continue to sign WWE castoffs just to try and show up HHH? The wild card is Sasha Banks, what bridges she burned, what bridges they burned with her, and how much Tony K will pay. She seems like someone who would like the reduced schedule and the ability to keep more of her related revenue.

2: Being that I don't really watch because I don't like the house style, it's hard to say. Do we need more people who are "over" due to a catchphrase and a singalong theme song?

Most likely fits are people who were indy stars before signing with WWE, so they don't have that performance center clone factor. My dream, mentioned on the main board, is bringing in Meiko Satomura to add to the new, stiffer Women's division and also help train. I'd love to have Regal's kid just so they can work together. Walter/Gunther would work, but I think he's going to get a huge push in the E. Nakumura would likely do a lot better in AEW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Lmao in a weird, unironic way he's my top choice, although also maybe the least likely to ever leave. The heat he would get by just being there standing around would be something else.

Oh yeah I’m not being ironic or cute at all. I’m dead serious - it would be tremendous. 

It’s Cardona in GCW but Miz is so much more talented than Cardona that it’s the apex version of that storyline. Imagine the dude winning the tittle off Danielson.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Have you seen Best Friends versus Santana/Ortiz in the Parking Lot Fight?

Honestly, the pandemic era stuff was sad because of the lack of live crowds, but AEW still had some really fun matches. Brodie/Cody in the dog collar match was brutal. Omega/Moxley from Winter Is Coming, there was an eight man tag where FTR & the Young Bucks teamed up that I remember liking. Arcade Anarchy was a lot of fun too, and then the Nightmare Factory shows at the start of the pandemic when everything shut down had a few good matches (Baker/Shida being one of them).

I watched the parking lot fight last night.  Great crazy brawl smartly built around big crazy bumps onto cars.  Loved it.

I also watched Kingston/Cody and it is a goddamned Greek tragedy that the match had to happen without a crowd.

• Like 5

I love Sasha, and agree she would be arguably the most important AEW free agent signing since Punk, if not Danielson or Sting, but for me, my dream signing is Asuka. I always said that when I quit watching WWE it was her, Danielson, and Claudio I missed the most, and I never dreamed we'd be 3/4 the way there.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
2/3 not 3/4, I can't math
  • Like 4

Fantasy booking: WWE releases Charlie Dempsey. Daniel Garcia leaves the Jericho Appreciation Society, and Jericho is raging and screaming. Next week, he comes out looking all smug and happy, and announces that he's replaced Garcia with a far more exciting prospect. And it's William Regal junior. Who feuds with everyone in the BCC.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Fantasy booking: WWE releases Charlie Dempsey. Daniel Garcia leaves the Jericho Appreciation Society, and Jericho is raging and screaming. Next week, he comes out looking all smug and happy, and announces that he's replaced Garcia with a far more exciting prospect. And it's William Regal junior. Who feuds with everyone in the BCC.

Love this. Maybe a dumb question, but I know next to nothing about Dempsey: has he ever wrestled Dave Finlay? The backstory for that one kinda writes itself.

• Like 1

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Love this. Maybe a dumb question, but I know next to nothing about Dempsey: has he ever wrestled Dave Finlay? The backstory for that one kinda writes itself.

I don't think their paths have crossed just yet. Hijo Del Regal went straight to NXTUK barring a brief WXW run and an EVOLVE appearance at the end

• Thanks 1

I’ve decided after the events of this week that I want the payoff to the MJF storyline to be that he comes back relaxed and in a great mood but everyone else in the locker room has become an insane petty asshole without him around as the conduit for all of the negative energy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 10

Dempsey is the obvious one, so many different stories to tell with him. Regal as a proud father and dissension between Dempsey and Wheeler. Regal as the Great Santini, abusing and tormenting Charlie until he stands up to him. That JAS story AxB suggested. Demspey is also amazingly good for having so few matches, his A-Kid rounds match from NXT UK was one of my favorite matches of the year, I wrote a bunch about it for the Ringer

https://www.theringer.com/wwe/2022/5/31/23148499/double-or-nothing-anarchy-in-the-arena-cm-punk-adam-page-becky-lynch-asuka-best-matches

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I not only learned that this morning myself, but that he'd been released from NXT UK as part of mass cuts, per the Omnibus thread

As far as I can see, Dempsey is still employed. They'd be insane to cut him at this point, for obvious reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dog said:

As far as I can see, Dempsey is still employed. They'd be insane to cut him at this point, for obvious reasons. 

I was wondering if I had missed his release and got super excited for a second.