DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

Just came up with a silly little fantasy booking idea to get reps in for the women: Have them feud with the Knockouts on both Impact and the AEW shows. A little interpromotional feuding never hurt anybody and you are gonna get way better matches with the honestly better talent on the other side. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just came up with a silly little fantasy booking idea to get reps in for the women: Have them feud with the Knockouts on both Impact and the AEW shows. A little interpromotional feuding never hurt anybody and you are gonna get way better matches with the honestly better talent on the other side. 

It isn't like they didn't collab with Impact before, and with the NWA for the women as well. Great idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Well... it's not complaining per se, but I am a bit nonplussed that I miss the YouTube shows for a couple of weeks and suddenly there's not only a new faction, but they've apparently already worked their way into the putative Top Eight factions.

I'm also a little confused why the Trustbusters are even trying to win the trios title and not, I don't know, trying to break up Microsoft or something.

1. It’s ok, you’re around .6 in my one and a half. 
2. They broke your trust in the AEW rankings. Slim J does it again.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Craig H said:

I never got the love for Emi. She annoyed me more than anything. But definitely give me more of Willow, Ford, Bunny, along with the rest of everyone currently getting TV time. Actually, get Nyla back on TV too.

I'll be honest, I did not have the appreciation for Emi when she first started with AEW due to the whole Freddie gimmick - once I realized how great she was (and caught up on some of her previous work via .gif) and she ditched the mustache, I became a big fan. In my head canon, she's the Champ of Dark. I wish her stable was a more formal/consistent thing on TNT/TBS.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, porksweats said:

It isn't like they didn't collab with Impact before, and with the NWA for the women as well. Great idea.

As an AEW guy, I think it's a great idea for all the reasons you and @Curt McGirtmentioned, but to play devil's advocate for a moment:

This is the problem with the Forbidden Door (or at least it was in 2020 at the height of the pandemic): Serena and Rosa are the top NWA stars. They have excellent title matches all over AEW TV. Now, as soon as they were available, they were snatched up. The AEW fans rejoice, while NWA loses arguably the cornerstones of their division (all due respect to Mickie James, Kamille, and uh, the other ones).

But to put it bluntly: why the hell would Billy Corgan agree to this again? Or Callis/D'Amore either for that matter, because if I'm TK, I've got Deonna Purazzo and Taya Valkyrie's numbers entered in the contacts already, I'm just waiting to press send.

• Like 1

Taya ain't going anywhere. Jordynne Grace signed a long contract. Rosemary is probably a lifer. That's three, at least, that I don't think would jump. Also I don't think TK wants to absolutely poach his competition Vince-style. They could probably work out something beneficial for both groups. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t Rosa signed officially after her NWA contract expired?

And you’ve got it backwards about Serena Deeb: she first appeared in AEW after being let go from WWE, was signed the month she debuted, and only appeared on 2 NWA shows - the first of which was almost a year after she won their title (and didn’t even win the NWA World Women’s title on an NWA show, either).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As an AEW guy, I think it's a great idea for all the reasons you and @Curt McGirtmentioned, but to play devil's advocate for a moment:

This is the problem with the Forbidden Door (or at least it was in 2020 at the height of the pandemic): Serena and Rosa are the top NWA stars. They have excellent title matches all over AEW TV. Now, as soon as they were available, they were snatched up. The AEW fans rejoice, while NWA loses arguably the cornerstones of their division (all due respect to Mickie James, Kamille, and uh, the other ones).

But to put it bluntly: why the hell would Billy Corgan agree to this again? Or Callis/D'Amore either for that matter, because if I'm TK, I've got Deonna Purazzo and Taya Valkyrie's numbers entered in the contacts already, I'm just waiting to press send.

I was just thinking the Madison Rayne connection being a good gateway for just general crossover.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Killer new theme for Julia Hart debuted on Dark Elevation 

This is a lot of effort for a song that will probably be on tv less than 5 times this year, but I appreciate it. Kind of a Lacuna Coil vibe.

AEW definitely has a great in-house music team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Tony actually bought out her contract. 

And it happened during COVID when NWA wasn't taping much, and the contract was that of an aggressively A-type Berkley grad who could have pivoted to MMA or got a real-ass job. The pandemic was the right time to collaborate with other US companies, I think now AEW would be better served continuing to work with actual indy-indies. If you've got TV (or are trying to) your talent is just gonna get poached.

• Like 2

Regarding some of the women's division needing reps, I'm really surprised that you don't see some of them working indies. Jade in particular should be working a couple of indie shows a month, and I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to get her booked. Abadon and Anna Jay would probably benefit too. Unless maybe they just don't want to do indie shows.

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's actually a brilliant idea.

It would open up a whole new avenue for Jade to continue the streak as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I would guess that NWA/IMPACT get exposure. If you can get eyeballs on your product thats the goal right? 

• Like 2