DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

A weekly live Friday Night show starting at 9pm on the east coast has a lot of potential to widen the scope in that more adult in tone delivery AEW seems to favor.  Additionally, another live hour mean more slotting in bigger longer matches.  

Eventually those pillars are going to need to be a roof.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Eventually those pillars are going to need to be a roof.

Darby Allin walks up to Sting backstage at a Dynamite taping. "Sting!", he says with a twinkle in his eye, "You won't believe it!" The veteran shoots his protege a quizzical glance. "Darb, you don't usually get excited like this. What's gotten into you?"

"Check it out... I just bought a talking dog!". A classic American mutt, slightly mangy but with a confident gait, emerges from between Darby's slender legs. "He's incredible!"

"You gotta be..." Sting kneels over to greet his young charge's new pet, offering his hand to the animal he assumes will be subjected to Darby's latest circus act. Something he picked up at Steve O's Clown Academy, no doubt.

Darby snaps his fingers to grab the dog's attention. "Hey boy, who's the main character on GLOW?" Pointed ears perk up immediately and the answer is given. "RUTH!"

"Alright, very funny," Sting half-chuckles out of the corner of his painted mouth. "I've gotta go talk to the prop guy about a crash pad, keep that mutt out of catering would ya?". But Darby is completely serious about his amazing new discovery and begs Sting to stay.

"No, no, I mean it! Lemme try again... Sting Junior, good boy, if I'm one of the Four Pillars of AEW, what do I hold up?". The newly-named canine's tail wags something fierce. "rrrROOF!" At this point, Sting Sr. can't for the life of him figure out what Darby is getting at. "Listen, if this is a new gimmick or something, try it out on YouTube first."

Darby bites his lip and, with complete sincerity, musters up his sternest voice. "I'm not working you here, Stinger. This dog is a walking miracle. We'll be the biggest draws in the biz with this little guy at our side. One more!". As Sting furrows his brow and checks the clock on the backstage wall, Darby lowers himself to his knees and speaks to the dog eye-to-eye. "Little Stinger, this one's for all the marbles. Who's the roof of AEW?"

"RUSH! RUSH!"

Sting crosses his arms, shakes his head once and, in his signature silent style, walks away from the scene without a word. Sting Jr., like any good dog before or after, offers his master a consoling lick, but Darby is nothing if not crestfallen.

The dog looks at Darby and says, "You think I shoulda said Andrade?".

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Darby Allin walks up to Sting backstage at a Dynamite taping. "Sting!", he says with a twinkle in his eye, "You won't believe it!" The veteran shoots his protege a quizzical glance. "Darb, you don't usually get excited like this. What's gotten into you?"

"You won't believe it... I just bought a talking dog!". A classic American mutt, slightly mangy but with a confident gait, emerges from between Darby's slender legs. "He's incredible!"

"You gotta be..." Sting kneels over to greet his young charge's new pet, offering his hand to the animal he assumes will be subjected to Darby's latest circus act. Something he picked up at Steve O's Clown Academy, no doubt.

Darby snaps his fingers to grab the dog's attention. "Hey boy, who's the main character on GLOW?" Pointed ears perk up immediately and the answer is given. "RUTH!"

"Alright, very funny," Sting half-chuckles out of the corner of his painted mouth. "I've gotta go talk to the prop guy about a crash pad, keep that mutt out of catering would ya?". But Darby is completely serious about his amazing new discovery and begs Sting to stay.

"No, no, I mean it! Lemme try again... Sting Junior, good boy, if I'm one of the Four Pillars of AEW, what do I hold up?". The newly-named canine's tail wags something fierce. "ROOF!" At this point, Sting Sr. can't for the life of him figure out what Darby is getting at. "Listen, if this is a new gimmick or something, try it out on YouTube first."

Darby bites his lip and, with complete sincerity, musters up his sternest voice. "I'm not working you here, Stinger. This dog is a walking miracle. We'll be the biggest draws in the biz with this little guy at our side. One more!". As Sting furrows his brow and checks the clock on the backstage wall, Darby lowers himself to his knees and speaks to the dog eye-to-eye. "Little Stinger, this one's for all the marbles. Who's the roof of AEW?"

"RUSH! RUSH!"

Sting throws his hands in the air and, in his classic silent style, walks away from the scene without a word. Darby is nothing if not crestfallen. Sting Jr., like any good dog before or after, offers a consoling lick.

The dog turns to Darby and says, "You think I shoulda said Andrade?".

Is there a DVDVR post Hall of Fame?

• Like 4

I second a lot of what has all ready been said about the women's division. AEW is at it's best with these Road To videos that only a small percentage of people watch on youtube. Do some more of those and actually put them on tv for the women. Show Thunder Rosa working through the injury. I like the pure sports stuff and I think if they did more of it, it would get people to connect.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

Step one: condition fans to realize enhancement matches are awesome.

Step two: treat the webshows as more important on your other programming.

People are watching the Youtube shows. I think one episode that had Darby w/ Sting in the main event had something like 1.5 million views, the audience is there

15 hours ago, Octopus said:

Devils advocate: The issue with two matches, is what do we cut? I’m sure we can find the room but what would you all take away?

This is probably a network directive but not every match needs to go through PIP sometimes twice. there's your time. and some of these matches could be improved by tightening up on time

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

An underrated match, Kenny Omega vs. Christian Cage on the first AEW Rampage. Much better than the All Out rematch.

Which is saying something, because the All Out match that I just saw for the first time the other day was still a damn good match.

• Like 3

To all looking for more Women's Division action, outside of Toni Storm vs Anyone and Jamie Hayter vs Anyone, and only including the current active roster (no injured stars) what r the Bouts you'd like to see?

Not so much a specific match, but I'd like to see more Trios bouts from the Division. They've mostly worked entertainingly well on the Darks.

• Like 1

Jamie vs Athena

Jamie vs Britt (this is going to happen sooner than later) 

Toni and Athena, Skye, or Ruby vs The Renegade Twins 

Toni vs Jamie with the Women's World Championship on the line

Toni vs Abadon

Athena vs Diamante 

Athena vs Jade

Jade vs Toni, once Jade doesn't have the TBS belt

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I'd like to see either the Renegade Twins or Max the Impaler and her friend work in completive tags

I was just thinking that the Renegade Twins should become for Julia Hart what the Boys are for Dalton Castle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I'd like to see either the Renegade Twins or Max the Impaler and her friend work in completive tags

Heidi Howitzer?

Also known as

• Thanks 1

AEW Women's Match Wishlist:

Shida vs. Toni

Serena vs. Toni

Cargill vs. Hayter

Britt vs. Hayter (I'm getting inpatient!)

Penelope vs. Nyla (Penelope had a good one with Jade I saw live, I think she'd bump well for her)

Nyla vs. Jade!! Make it a tie-in with that new Game of Thrones spinoff and have the guy who played Tormund ask for "the big women!"

Hayter vs. Serena

Layla vs Toni (when she returns)

Also, Im not sure if anyone else would be into this idea: how about putting Willow in a team with Maki Itoh whenever she's stateside, where Willow's always unhappy with her foul language but they have a winning record so she just smiles and makes her put money in a swear jar?

• Like 3

I would like to see what Riho and Cargill could do together. Riho has faults but she's still easily top 5 on the roster imo, probably top 3 behind Jamie and Storm. How many people on the roster have had their best match with Riho? Deeb, Baker, Nyla are the ones that come to mind. Division's first champ and she's basically an afterthought.  

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I would like to see what Riho and Cargill could do together. Riho has faults but she's still easily top 5 on the roster imo, probably top 3 behind Jamie and Storm. How many people on the roster have had their best match with Riho? Deeb, Baker, Nyla are the ones that come to mind. Division's first champ and she's basically an afterthought.  

Yeah, I just assumed she was utilized as often due to COVID stuff with getting in and out of the country, but that's been over for a while now. On that note, I want to see more Yuka too, she popped back up semi-recently and then I never saw her again.

Also, @HarryArchieGus hard seconded on those ladies trios matches - tonight's Elevation main event would have been fucking tremendous on TV. Let's go back to Omega's original mission statement with it - treat them like the WCW Cruisers, right? I know he meant moreso in the sense of using the Joshis, but I look back super fondly on the trios matches from that division and time, I think this would have gotten over with the live crowd enough to come across as a big deal on TV. Might not pay dividends in terms of ratings for a few weeks but id be curious to see

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Re: women's wishlists to add more matches to shows while not using injured wrestlers, you could put any of Willow Nightingale, Jamie Hayter, Toni Storm, Hikaru Shida, Riho, Serena Deeb, and Emi Sakura, whether it's as a single, tag, or trios match in literally any combination, and I'd be happy. I have soft spots for Nyla Rose, Penelope Ford, and Bunny, so they could be added to those seven and I'd be in the same boat.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:10 PM, Matt D said:

This is DVDVR. We’ve got like one and a half people complaining here.

Well... it's not complaining per se, but I am a bit nonplussed that I miss the YouTube shows for a couple of weeks and suddenly there's not only a new faction, but they've apparently already worked their way into the putative Top Eight factions.

I'm also a little confused why the Trustbusters are even trying to win the trios title and not, I don't know, trying to break up Microsoft or something.

• Like 1

I never got the love for Emi. She annoyed me more than anything. But definitely give me more of Willow, Ford, Bunny, along with the rest of everyone currently getting TV time. Actually, get Nyla back on TV too.