DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

And btw I fucking love AEW. I just wish it did some things better, the women's division is a serious one for me and many others. 

You and I both know you’re a secret agent sent by Nick Khan to kill AEW’s internet buzz. Just admit it. You’ve been on a vendetta ever since Jack Evans got released.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Why did you have to remind me of my darkest time? They at least brought in Slim J to keep the train moving. 

I regret bringing up the J-E word and the trauma that occurred.

That reminds me of when me and a gal I was dating broke up. I was derping at a bar and her kid (one of four lovely little ones that I was helping with) FaceTimed me on her phone. I pick up thinking it’s her and it was the oldest little one with tears in his eyes asking if I would please come over for dinner. I had to hold back tears and ask if his mom was there. She grabs the phone and we have another sad and awkward goodbye. I feel that painful memory was similar to you and the release of you-know-who.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

When the JAS first formed, Meltzer did a segment about how hard it is to get audiences to boo aging vets near the end of their careers (Flair, for example).  I’m not a huge fan of the Inner Circle or the JAS, but Jericho’s working pretty hard to be hateable and get people to boo him.  I give him a lot of credit for that.

I do wish he’d stop coming out to whatever Fozzy song he uses for an entrance theme.  The singalong stuff is annoying for a heel act.  It’d be more effective if he’d come out and tell crowds they don’t deserve Fozzy then enter without a theme.  Also, not playing Fozzy would probably be be doing most of us a favor. 

Him and fucking Adam Cole. One of the worst remnants of almost 2 decades from WWE exclusivity is the super long entrance sing-along song, especially for a heel.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

And btw I fucking love AEW. I just wish it did some things better, the women's division is a serious one for me and many others. 

I actually think that if they swapped the TBS and World titles the women's division would be pretty damn good.

Rosa has either been hurt, mailed it in, or actively stiffed/injured people in her matches and shouldn't be held up as the top of the division any more. Having her, Storm, Hayter and Britt fighting over the TBS title would be fine though.

Then you have Jade as the Women's champion, telling Tony to go and sign all the new talent he can. She's already steamrolled most of the current AEW women's roster so now, as the champ, she wants to test herself against the best in the world and also send them immediately to the back of the line when they arrive.

Meanwhile, you have Kris Statlander hanging in the background rebuilding herself to finally get a shot at Jade. Maybe for the match that would send Jade to 50-0? Or have Jade go 50-0 and then look to make Kris her "Imma go 1 better than Money Mayweather" match?

Ruby needs to find a partner to help fight TayJay as well.

There's 3 decent women's angles all going on at once. All the pieces and stories are there. I just think the focus is on the wrong title holder in terms of importance.

Jade > Rosa

• Like 4

Jade's killing it for sure. She has wildly exceeded expectations for someone with such little experience. Ive mentioned this before, but the potential for crossover appeal is tremendous with her. I say keep letting her steamroll people and improve while Hayter runs with the world title for a bit and gets her big match with Britt. Then once Jade hits 50 or 75 or 100-0 you have her go over Hayter and do the Goldberg/Ultimate Warrior thing of vacating the secondary title. From there, I have a pretty good idea of how I'd end her streak, but I won't bore everyone with fantasy booking.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, porksweats said:

For what it's worth, Jericho and Fozzy have got tours coming up September-Dec so hopefully post All Out, we'll be free of Jericho for at least a quarter.

Just as a reminder, with the exception of overseas dates, Fozzy doesn't do shows on Wednesdays while on tour so that Jericho can still be available for Dynamites.  So he'll only be out on 11/9 and 11/30 while in Ireland and Australia. 

Here's the thing, though: 

F2wFpty.png

The eye roll gif was pretty clearly in response to the idea that Tony "Khan should be ashamed" rather than to the idea that the AEW women's division could be booked better.

I think it's not unreasonable to assume  that a fair number of female professional wrestlers are better off thanks to AEW than they would be otherwise. So, I found the idea that Tony Khan * should be ashamed *to be a massive overstatement, and thus eye roll worthy. Still do.

That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.

But, the situation is well well well above "shameful" right now, in my opinion. 

Also: I can't speak for anyone else, but my take that

"... if anyone is unhappy in AEW and thinks they could do better elsewhere, I genuinely hope Tony Khan just cuts them free.

I popped hard for Miro's debut and enjoyed his run and want to see more of him in AEW and hope there is nothing to the rumours...

...but if he really wants out, let's not be petty about it. Wish him well. Let him go. Burn zero bridges"

does NOT come from a place like " If Miro (or anyone else) is unhappy, then screw them! " It genuinely comes from a place of wanting Miro and all the other wrestlers who entertain me to be free to work where they want and to be happy in their circumstances.

Not from a place of wanting to defend AEW from anyone who might dare to complain, but from hoping that AEW will do the right thing by their employees rather than treating them like chattel. 

Edited by Gordlow
Too long
  • Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Here's the thing, though: 

The eye roll gif was pretty clearly in response to the idea that Tony "Khan should be ashamed" rather than to the idea that the AEW women's division could be booked better.

I think it's not unreasonable to assume  that a fair number of female professional wrestlers are better off thanks to AEW than they would be otherwise. So, I found the idea that Tony Khan * should be ashamed *to be a massive overstatement, and thus eye roll worthy. Still do.

That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.

But, the situation is well well well above "shameful" right now, in my opinion. 

Also: I can't speak for anyone else, but my take that

"... if anyone is unhappy in AEW and thinks they could do better elsewhere, I genuinely hope Tony Khan just cuts them free.

I popped hard for Miro's debut and enjoyed his run and want to see more of him in AEW and hope there is nothing to the rumours...

...but if he really wants out, let's not be petty about it. Wish him well. Let him go. Burn zero bridges"

does NOT come from a place like " If Miro (or anyone else) is unhappy, then screw them! " It genuinely comes from a place of wanting Miro and all the other wrestlers who entertain me to be free to work where they want and to be happy in their circumstances.

Not from a place of wanting to defend AEW from anyone who might dare to complain, but from hoping that AEW will do the right thing by their employees rather than treating them like chattel. 

At least there can be a discussion now that you've explained your position, posting just a gif in response kills any hope of a discussion dead at best or could turn things into a nasty argument.

My stance on the women's division has been long-stated that AEW can do better - one match per TV show, and it's very often either the shortest or second-shortest each week, is not conducive to an effective division. Now with other divisions and titles being added, like the All-Atlantic and Trios titles, as someone who watches primarily for the women, I am left to wonder exactly where the time for these other divisions is coming from, and why it cannot be given to give the women... I dunno... a second match on Dynamite? All-Atlantic seems to have been relegated to Dark already.

The counterargument I've seen is that the women get plenty of matches on Dark and Elevation, but 1) they're by and large squashes with no storyline advancement so they're wrestling for the sake of wrestling, which is fine if you like that sort of thing, and 2) even for wrestling for the sake of wrestling the matches are quite short. I'm not sure how much benefit the women are going to get having three minute squashes with little story advancement on YouTube each week, or one eight minute match on Dynamite, or a 30 second promo amongst a sea of 30 second promos.

The other counterargument is that there are currently three women's angles ongoing right now (Thunderstorm vs. Baker/Hayter, Statlander/Athena vs. Jade/Keira, Ruby vs. TayJay), and I suppose there's something on Dark with Nyla Rose, Marina Shafir, and Emi Sakura against Hikaru Shida and whoever can face her to make four. But if the women get two matches each week on your main broadcast TV... three angles seems like you're not getting much opportunity to advance anything, or cycle in talent that's also on your roster. It's the same issue folks had with how WWE treated women, where there would be two or three angles and the rest of the roster would be left off the show, forgotten, or only used on shows like Main Event (which, let's be real, that's what Dark/Elevation is to AEW).

Should Tony Khan be ashamed of that? Tough to say. Women have more places to work thanks to AEW, sure, but if it's just to go out and have a match to fill time, is there much fulfillment to that? Track down Hikaru Shida's recent work in Japan for TJPW and Ice Ribbon and compare it to her AEW matches over the last year. It's like night and day. If your response to that is "well fire Hikaru Shida" or "put her on the bench" or "let her ride out her contract with matches that have no direction" instead of "figure out how to help motivate talent", I'm not seeing how that's useful or beneficial to AEW because eventually the talent is going to run out if you fire or bench them the moment they're not motivated.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

What I never really understood (and this goes for WWE too) is if you have access to a low-cost facility to film programming you can produce all sorts of shows for next to nothing. Why not produce a womens only show with unique storylines, etc. instead of trying to squeeze a sizeable women's roster into a small programming block. 

• Like 4

Blackpool Combat Club is my favorite thing in wrestling right now. The concept of being proud wrestlers, the wrestling itself, the use of Regal on commentary, the elbows, most of them being good guys while Danielson is still pretty much a prick. Good stuff.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

What I never really understood (and this goes for WWE too) is if you have access to a low-cost facility to film programming you can produce all sorts of shows for next to nothing. Why not produce a womens only show with unique storylines, etc. instead of trying to squeeze a sizeable women's roster into a small programming block. 

i think the belief/fear is always there that if you produce a women only show, it will seem like some combination of "lesser than" or "segregated". Not that it would necessarily be presented that way (i would sure hope not!) but it wouldn't be hard to see that being the way people take it. I see similar arguments made in certain MMA circles ("they should shuffle the women off to their own show so i don't have to watch it") so the mindset certainly exists.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i think the belief/fear is always there that if you produce a women only show, it will seem like some combination of "lesser than" or "segregated". Not that it would necessarily be presented that way (i would sure hope not!) but it wouldn't be hard to see that being the way people take it. I see similar arguments made in certain MMA circles ("they should shuffle the women off to their own show so i don't have to watch it") so the mindset certainly exists.

And the crowd can be pretty...listless...for women's matches at the Orlando tapings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

I feel like it would do a lot to just have more than one women's match on a given Dynamite. Like, seriously, two matches plus maybe an interview segment/talking angle would make a difference.

• Thanks 1

Octo-Thoughts:

I think the concept of shame is something I am familiar with and is a part of me on a daily basis. As a midwestern-Scandinavian/Irish American, neo-Christian existentialist with poor dietary control and regularly flirting self-deprecating humor to at times hide self esteem issues and on-again-off-again anxiety issues that I can occasionally fail to address in a healthy manner, I am comfortable with how uncomfortable I am. Life, to me is both the joys of a stylish new shirt and the feeling of it’s oddly placed thick tag that takes its boney decrepit grim-finger to slowly ride up against your neck, reminding you that death is either near or inevitable. The color looks great but as your weight and figure changes, you will not look as nice to yourself tomorrow. As is life, life is good. 

Tony Kahn and the Elite establishment should feel some level of shame for poor booking of women (Deeb vs Shida feud was a mess and I feel the same disappointment towards the botched WWE Naomi vs Mandy Rose feud that was oddly enough a camel’s back breaking straw moment that I think if regularly) but really to me (and maybe JiJi but respectfully I can’t speak for anyone but myself) shame is an inevitable part of life. 

The theoretical power of shame is action we take. Among the self-hatred, do we better ourselves and make strives towards improvements even with the understood acknowledgment that we will inevitably fall again? And for the improvements or lack of in booking is a discussion point that could be neat. I remember when my wife was pregnant and not feeling well we were having a bit of alone relaxation time. Well, I went to a bar and drank heavily, people kept buying me shots and I had little to no food. Well, I came home very drunk and spent a good amount of time vomiting. I uncontrollably wept at my poor decision to make myself unfit to care for of pregnant wife who was also feeling sick. Fast forward to just a week ago. My wife took my baby over to her moms and I had some free time. I walked to a bar and they kept forgetting to put in my food order (never took a lunch at work because I was stressed and very busy) I believe this saga was mostly posted about already. I’m shamefully going to praise myself and say that I’m likable to some people and if I’m derping, people tend to buy me drinks . No food and free liquor is a bad thing. Long story short that night went smoothly where my wife knew I was derped because I was texting her about the food thing and I was embarrassed. What she didn’t know was when everyone was asleep I got dizzy and needed to shower and then vomit. This was a mess and I spent a good chunk of the night quietly cleaning up and hating myself. Thinking back to other times I was a failure to my son and my beautiful and loving wife. I’m a good father, but we are all humanoid-octopi and at times even less than that. So what I’m getting at is that Tony Kahn should be vomiting in a shower because he is responsible for me not seeing Jamie Hayter and kris Statlander regularly suplexing each other.

As for employee happiness issues, I feel that we maybe agree with each other but the terminology is getting mixed up? Or I’m misreading everything. I’m typing this while quietly crying in a parked car while my baby is asleep in the back. I will get a smoothie when I’m done typing this. It will be delicious. It will be a large instead of a medium and I will possibly feel bad about that if I get a stomachache. I fucking suck. Yes, if an employee asks for their release, then the company should release them. If an employee is unhappy, then the company should have a good enough HR team to reach out and try and make things work out. I tend to side with the workforce. Yes, there can be unreasonable people that think they should be hire up the card or will likely never be happy. But case by case, I generally tend to side with the worker. I’m unhappy with my work. I was unhappy with my last work. My last work had a poor system in place and it didn’t fit with me, so I left. The place I’m at now I have recently found issues with but they have a good enough HR person who made me feel heard and wanted as an employee. So I’m happy to ride things out as things get better. 

Talent relations is pretty much HR. AEW either has/had a systematic issue in dealing with employee/management communication or not the proper personnel to successfully run what would be a good system efficiently OR just bad PR and it appears to be a problem that it isn’t (which would be a different problem but a problem still). But systematic vs efficiency? I don’t know what the issue is (or if there is one) but it should be dealt with before an employee feels disgruntled enough to rather be elsewhere then there. Worst thing is a Brodie in WWE situation. 

As for crabby patties: I generally don’t vibe with curmudgeons. People who choose to ignore good and only focus on negativity (I’m referring to my non-internet people, this isn’t a dig) I’m just not happy being around. I can’t watch basketball with my dad because he slowly gets angry about ball movement. My hatred is inward, not outward. I’m Octopus, not Squidward. But I understand that people’s soul’s resting position is a part of them. I’ll debate points but if I’m not feeling a vibe then for me it isn’t worth partaking in discussion. There’s only a few people here I blocked who I felt were actively harsh towards others when it didn’t seem called for. Saying everything I said, I will be playfully snarky for fun and teasing.

All in all, disregard everything I said and I was never here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

If they do a four-way, I think Hayter will have Thunder beat with Britt stealing the pin. Hayter turns face and chases.

Jade's destined for the World title, and I think a Britt - Jade feud is inevitable, I don't know who's face, or if either even needs to turn.

Who wins the TBS title? Should be Strat. I could see them doing a Strat/Jade/Athena three-way to take the belt off Jade without pinning her, but I hope not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Jade's killing it for sure. She has wildly exceeded expectations for someone with such little experience. Ive mentioned this before, but the potential for crossover appeal is tremendous with her. I say keep letting her steamroll people and improve while Hayter runs with the world title for a bit and gets her big match with Britt. Then once Jade hits 50 or 75 or 100-0 you have her go over Hayter and do the Goldberg/Ultimate Warrior thing of vacating the secondary title. From there, I have a pretty good idea of how I'd end her streak, but I won't bore everyone with fantasy booking.

I’d like to hear it. I know I have one in mind, too…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Can we be certain that your fantasy booking plan to end the streak doesn't include an interference with a taser followed by a Jack-knife power bomb? I'm pretty sure it will not include a fingerpoke of doom a week later to put the title back around Britt's waist, however!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2