DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

ROH World Champion Claudio Castagnoli defends against Konosuke Takeshita at AEW Battle of the Belts III this week with the build to AEW All Out 2022.

A match I can't believe I'm going to see live (it's taping with Rampage this week here in GR)

• Like 10

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

ROH World Champion Claudio Castagnoli defends against Konosuke Takeshita at AEW Battle of the Belts III this week with the build to AEW All Out 2022.

I think this might be the last chance we'll get to see our beloved Lard Lad before he heads back home.

• Sad 2

Rampage thread is locked but I finally saw it last night and it really was a great episode top to bottom, although using valuable backstage promo time to set up Youtube angles is a choice I wouldn't have made. Ruby and AJAS gelled pretty well and had a great story throughout.

Satnam moves pretty well for a giant wrestler and has a lot of personality.

• Like 3

Forgot about them but that's all besides developmental wrestlers.  1 Tag team and some people that may be sent to AEW some day.

They took down the roster link for ROH. 

Edited by Blue Dragon

I touched on this around the time of TK's announcement and Supercard of Honor show and felt like a bit of a naysayer, but the longer ROH goes without TV, the more it becomes my feeling:  it wouldn't surprise me to see a move to an ROH model where it's essentially just a quarterly version of ECW One Night Stand, that has its own set of titles.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

The changes are for AEW and AEW Talent working for ROH, but not for ROH the promotion. ROH uses AEW contracted people and has no contracted talent of their own.

What's the difference between an AEW and ROH contract? Are the monies not coming from the same Tony? Love to hear further explaination of the contracts of Caprice, Riccaboni, Dalton Castle, etc. Not claiming I know, but curious if you do?

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I touched on this around the time of TK's announcement and Supercard of Honor show and felt like a bit of a naysayer, but the longer ROH goes without TV, the more it becomes my feeling:  it wouldn't surprise me to see a move to an ROH model where it's essentially just a quarterly version of ECW One Night Stand, that has its own set of titles.

On the post-DBD scrum, Tony made it sound like the show being on Bleacher Report PPV was a test for how wise it would be for Warner/Discovery to "invest" in ROH. He basically said this was a step in the process of getting a regular show, and everyone was seemingly happy with how it went.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

'That doesn't work for me brother!' That'd be an interesting concept, but it would also mean continuation of this insane glut of title belts on AEW TV each week. I'm probably way off, but I like to think even if they don't get a TV deal that they'd run a weekly youtube show. And if they had to settle for youtube, maybe they could rely less on top stars (no disrespect to Claudio; he's a great choice) and just let all the young guns emerge. Set your expectations lower TK! Run it in tiny venues with unestablished indy dudes. Keep costs low. Build to the future!

Or get a great deal with Warner/Discovery and keep putting out great ROH shows. Either/or.

• Like 3

If you have AEW contract then you are with AEW even working for ROH shows, with ROH contract you have contract with the promotion ROH. Tony Khan may own both promotions, but they're separately owned promotions with different staff.

It's also not like CyberFight brands under CyberFight. Not at all.

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

The changes are for AEW and AEW Talent working for ROH, but not for ROH the promotion. ROH uses AEW contracted people and has no contracted talent of their own.

What even is ROH right now? They are putting all the ROH matches and storylines on the AEW programming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What even is ROH right now? They are putting all the ROH matches and storylines on the AEW programming.

A brand, promotion, company Tony bought which isnt a sub brand of AEW. 

You gonna have to wait for the ROH weekly show, then at least it's more AEW contracted guys on the future ROH roster. May even have to send some to ROH for good.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dog said:

AEW is owned jointly by Tony and his dad (or maybe, technically, by some corporation they created). Tony is the sole owner of ROH.

I wrote similar info like that long ago in the ROH section. 

11 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Looking at what WBD is doing to Max, people might want to pump the breaks on thinking the new bosses are giving AEW any more time than they have. 

Ive been watching that story closely with an eye toward what AEW's situation might be. It seems as though the majority of what was cut from Max was deemed too expensive to pay licensing for in relation to how many actually watched. AEW (or any other live sports they grab, like the rumored MLS deal) might be a different animal if the core audience is there. Though AEW won't come cheaply either, a guaranteed quarterly audience of 50,000-100,000 for an AEW PPV might be more advantageous to throw money at than some Seth Rogan movie that you'll watch once or twice at most.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I said monthly by mistake
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Ive been watching that story closely with an eye toward what AEW's situation might be. It seems as though the majority of what was cut from Max was deemed too expensive to pay licensing for in relation to how many actually watched. AEW (or any other live sports they grab, like the rumored MLS deal) might be a different animal if the core audience is there. Though AEW won't come cheaply either, a guaranteed quarterly audience of 50,000-100,000 for an AEW PPV might be more advantageous to throw money at than some Seth Rogan movie that you'll watch once or twice at most.

They're also writing off $150M of their own completed movies and it's entirely possible they're nuking the entire platform, so...

• Like 1