DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

57 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

"I would appreciate it if the male demographic within tonight's audience who have less strenuous workout regimens than the one I myself hold to, would refrain from speaking whilst I remove my robe and allow the female segment of the audience to observe a more ideal example of the human form.  Additionally, I would like the arena's audio director to resume playback of my musical selection."

"I am a superior competitor to all other athletes who have competed in this sport in the past, are competing in this sport at present, and will proceed to compete in this sport in the future."

"I HAVE ENGAGED IN A SPIRITUAL RITUAL THAT ALLOWED ME TO COMMUNE WITH IMMORTAL SPIRITS OF THE DECEASED ANCESTORS OF OUR SPECIES, SPECIFICALLY THOSE WHO PRIORITIZED A MARTIAL CAREER, AND WHILE IN THE TRANCE STATE REQUISITE TO THE AFOREMENTIONED COMMUNIQUE I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THEIR PSYCHIC ENERGY, ALONG WITH THE PSYCHIC ENERGY OF THE JUVENILE MEMBERS OF OUR SPECIES WHO CHEER FOR ME DURING THIS COMPETITION AND ADVERTISE THEIR APPRECIATION FOR ME BY PURCHASING AND WEARING MERCHANDISE EMBLAZONED WITH MY LIKENESS AND TRADEMARKED LOGO, SAID PSYCHIC ENERGY SHALL FLOW THROUGH MY CIRCULATORY SYSTEM METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING, THUS EMPOWERING ME TO SUPERLATIVE PHYSICAL FEATS THAT SHALL MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO SUCCESSFULLY COMPETE AGAINST ME DURING OUR IMMINENT ATHLETIC COMPETITION.  [ADDITIONALLY MY NOSE IS CONGESTED, EXCUSE ME WHILE I ATTEMPT TO CLEAR THE NASAL PASSAGES MANUALLY.]"

"Huß".

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:29 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

They had more camera angles in that match than some Japanese promotions have in 2022. Not trying to be funny but are we sure that wasn't shot for one of Blue Demon's movies.

Could be! In which case, the footage is from no earlier than 1965. I did a bit of digging trying to figure it out but wasn't able to come up with anything concrete. Somebody somewhere must have compiled a list of what matches are in what Blue Demon and Santo movies, but I couldn't find it.

The (truly excellent) YouTube channel I found that on also had this match, a mid-card IWA singles from 1969. It might be the single most minimalist, least flashy pro wrestling match recorded in my lifetime. There are some dropkicks and a bodyslam and a bump to the outside... But you could sum this up as "They work head scissors and headlocks for the whole match" and not be too far off! I find it mesmerising. 

All young wrestlers could learn something from this match, in my opinion.

It's not just the "work" that is minimalist. The commentary, the crowd reactions, the ring gear, even the camera work and lighting... 

Enjoy!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
28 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Could be! In which case, the footage is from no earlier than 1965. I did a bit of digging trying to figure it out but wasn't able to come up with anything concrete. Somebody somewhere must have compiled a list of what matches are in what Blue Demon and Santo movies, but I couldn't find it.

The (truly excellent) YouTube channel I found that on also had this match, a mid-card IWA singles from 1969. It might be the single most minimalist, least flashy pro wrestling match recorded in my lifetime. There are some dropkicks and a bodyslam and a bump to the outside... But you could sum this up as "They work head scissors and headlocks for the whole match" and not be too far off! I find it mesmerising. 

All young wrestlers could learn something from this match, in my opinion.

It's not just the "work" that is minimalist. The commentary, the crowd reactions, the ring gear, even the camera work and lighting... 

Enjoy!

That match is also notable because it's some of the only surviving footage of Tokyo Joe Daigo (who was wrestling as Tetsunosuke Daigo there), who was a major part of Calgary's training programs for decades.

Edited by Stefanie Without Stefanie

29 minutes ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

That match is also notable because it's some of the only surviving footage of Tokyo Joe Daigo (who was wrestling as Tetsunosuke Daigo there), who was a major part of Calgary's training programs for decades.

That is awesome. I had no idea that was him.

I got to meet Bret's other Japanese teacher at an Osaka Pro show years ago, shortly before he passed away. Mr. Hito loved pro wrestling so much. It was an honour to be introduced to him.

XxlU3oz.jpg

• Like 9

I had a dream that I somehow bumped into Brock Lesnar in the supermarket, and it turned out he had absolutely no understanding of maths, so I felt obliged to try and explain it to him. It was a bit of a minefield, because what I didn't want to do was make him feel like an idiot and get F5'd through the organic foods cabinet. There was a lot of trying to explain things in terms of how many hours a day he spends watching American Football.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am a big fan of fancams of just about anything so a big thumbs up from me. Their first ever singles match, believe it or not. Saved that one quick in case WWE isn't amused and gets it removed.

I was lucky to see WALTER vs. Cesaro in a true dream match live last November on a Smackdown house show. I found the match on YouTube and looked today, it's still there:

WALTER rarely did house show matches at the time so it was a real treat. Also got to see Ciampa and Bron Breakker live. I was lucky to see the show as I was right ill the day before and day of. Those who had RAW tickets were understandably pissed off.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

I had a dream that I somehow bumped into Brock Lesnar in the supermarket, and it turned out he had absolutely no understanding of maths, so I felt obliged to try and explain it to him. It was a bit of a minefield, because what I didn't want to do was make him feel like an idiot and get F5'd through the organic foods cabinet. There was a lot of trying to explain things in terms of how many hours a day he spends watching American Football.

If we're starting a thread about dreams where wrestlers randomly show up, I could be here a while...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ever, I'd say. For, @Greggulator.

I was pretty out of the loop on wrestling around this time but I remember watching this match and when I got the newest WWE 2K game I used Neville to win all the belts. Why did he never get a main event push in WWE? I would have assumed it was due to his size but he's just as big as Rollins was stature-wise. Out of all the "new" guys around that time (new to me at least) I thought Neville, Rusev, and Cesaro were the absolute coolest, and Ambrose was the best out of Shield. Sad they never got their due in WWE but I'm glad I get to see them get a little more respect nowadays. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, tbarrie said:

If we're starting a thread about dreams where wrestlers randomly show up, I could be here a while...

I had a dream once that I was tagging with Hogan against the Road Warriors. I had to eat the pin and didn’t want to take the Doomsday Device.  I told Animal and he said Hawk would be pissed, I then spent the rest of the dream running down a corridor away from Hawk and Animal who were trying to kill me.

If only Hogan and politicked a victory. 

Stupid dreams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I had a dream once that I was tagging with Hogan against the Road Warriors. I had to eat the pin and didn’t want to take the Doomsday Device.  I told Animal and he said Hawk would be pissed, I then spent the rest of the dream running down a corridor away from Hawk and Animal who were trying to kill me.

If only Hogan and politicked a victory. 

Hogan was probably planning to beat them both in a handicap match after they'd killed you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1