DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

29 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:
  On 8/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, odessasteps said:

In case this hasn’t been posted before 

Expand  

"BOOOORRR-RIIINNNGGG"

Just kidding, I find the "booring" jeer as annoying and insulting as most folks do, and it exposes the caller a a big ass mark, as does the "FIGHT FOREVER" chant in my opinion.

Are you trying to steal my gimmick, DEAN?

I did travel to UFC 6 at the Cobo Arena in downtown Detroit to see Severn vs. Shamrock. I thought it was brilliant, a 30:00 broadway. The crowd was irate, and I was laughing. What a value. We had Coney dogs afterwards and many shots of booze in Hamtramck.

That guy in the second match who got ate up by the guy in the white pants looks just like Cezar Bononi.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Random question:

Does anybody have a link to or know where I could find that classic Japanese wrestling music video set to Aerosmith's "Dream On" from back in the early 2000s? Thanks!

All those videos were on ClickWrestle for a hot second. I haven't found many of then since.

However, I did find the G1 Climax 2001 one set to Beautiful Day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Random thing I thought of trying to fall asleep last night: what's the oldest extant lucha libre footage?  Do we have anything from the 50s like we do with US and Japan?

That's a really good question, I bet @RoyLucierwould know. Total shot in the dark guess, but I'd bet that if anything does exist, it's probably EMLL stuff from the late '60s at the earliest. I don't know a ton about that time period of lucha outside of the big names, but I do know that sometimes complete results don't even exist for shows earlier than that (so I'm just logically assuming there's not much tape)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Random thing I thought of trying to fall asleep last night: what's the oldest extant lucha libre footage?  Do we have anything from the 50s like we do with US and Japan?

Far as I can tell, this is from '51

Edit: most likely 10/3/1950 according to Cagematch

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=294335

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

They had more camera angles in that match than some Japanese promotions have in 2022. Not trying to be funny but are we sure that wasn't shot for one of Blue Demon's movies.

It's kind of hard to tell if it's edited for something like that, or just for highlights. In any case, that wide shot at the beginning was awesome, I love the perfectly circular building.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2022 at 9:47 PM, tbarrie said:

I don't think frankfurters were generally available in America in 1887. So arguably not a bad payout.

Feltman's were. Feltman's vs. Nathans for the oldest hot dog conflict is like McSorley's vs. Fraunces Tavern for the oldest bar in NY.

https://www.6sqft.com/before-nathans-there-was-feltmans-the-history-of-the-coney-island-hot-dog/

Edited by ka-to
link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A friend and I were joking about Keith Lee and his intelligent vocabulary. It got me thinking they should start a thing with him where he says famous catch phrases from the past, but you know, Keith Lee style:

"If your olfactory senses can pick up the aroma of the dish that Dwayne Johnson is currently preparing in his kitchen!"

"That is the final word on the matter because Stephen Austin did decree it as such!"

Etc

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

A friend and I were joking about Keith Lee and his intelligent vocabulary. It got me thinking they should start a thing with him where he says famous catch phrases from the past, but you know, Keith Lee style:

"If your olfactory senses can pick up the aroma of the dish that Dwayne Johnson is currently preparing in his kitchen!"

"That is the final word on the matter because Stephen Austin did decree it as such!"

Etc

"The sound that a firearm makes when it is being discharged, the sound that a firearm makes when it is being discharged."

• Haha 4

First Indy show for me in over two years. Kinda strange to think about all the people who I used to see who are now in AEW/IMPACT/NXT

Got to see Toa Liona pretty much eat Ray Rosa for lunch. 

Best match was Wolf Zaddies (Latino Meat and Bad Guy Tito) v Lucas Riley  and Dom Kubrick. Dom is no longer working his gay Joey Ryan which is probably for the best and Lucas Riley has really filled out (TM Good Ole) Last time I saw him he was about 130lbs, He's gonna show up on one of the bigger shows now. He's always has the skill and he's getting the physique. Would love to see Wolf Zaddies v FTR 

• Like 2

Well, my weekend plans have changed.

"I must inquire about the actions you shall endeavor to take whilst the the most significantly proportioned upper extremities within the entirety of the celestial body upon which we inhabit are proceeding upon your person in an uncontrolled fashion. (Despite the fact that we share identical parentage.)"

• Like 1

“And if you take issue with the arguments that we have presented during this discourse, allow me to offer you this short suggestion, and that is to apply suction to a certain portion of my nether regions.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"I would appreciate it if the male demographic within tonight's audience who have less strenuous workout regimens than the one I myself hold to, would refrain from speaking whilst I remove my robe and allow the female segment of the audience to observe a more ideal example of the human form.  Additionally, I would like the arena's audio director to resume playback of my musical selection."

"I am a superior competitor to all other athletes who have competed in this sport in the past, are competing in this sport at present, and will proceed to compete in this sport in the future."

"I HAVE ENGAGED IN A SPIRITUAL RITUAL THAT ALLOWED ME TO COMMUNE WITH IMMORTAL SPIRITS OF THE DECEASED ANCESTORS OF OUR SPECIES, SPECIFICALLY THOSE WHO PRIORITIZED A MARTIAL CAREER, AND WHILE IN THE TRANCE STATE REQUISITE TO THE AFOREMENTIONED COMMUNIQUE I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THEIR PSYCHIC ENERGY, ALONG WITH THE PSYCHIC ENERGY OF THE JUVENILE MEMBERS OF OUR SPECIES WHO CHEER FOR ME DURING THIS COMPETITION AND ADVERTISE THEIR APPRECIATION FOR ME BY PURCHASING AND WEARING MERCHANDISE EMBLAZONED WITH MY LIKENESS AND TRADEMARKED LOGO, SAID PSYCHIC ENERGY SHALL FLOW THROUGH MY CIRCULATORY SYSTEM METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING, THUS EMPOWERING ME TO SUPERLATIVE PHYSICAL FEATS THAT SHALL MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR YOU TO SUCCESSFULLY COMPETE AGAINST ME DURING OUR IMMINENT ATHLETIC COMPETITION.  [ADDITIONALLY MY NOSE IS CONGESTED, EXCUSE ME WHILE I ATTEMPT TO CLEAR THE NASAL PASSAGES MANUALLY.]"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2