DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I thought the reason signs went away was because cell phones became popular and people can't hold a sign and a cell phone at the same time (I mean you could, but it may be a little difficult). Probably also coupled with the fact that wrestling isn't "pop culture cool" anymore so people don't think their buddy and their buddies buddy are all watching to see the sign.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I thought the reason signs went away was because cell phones became popular and people can't hold a sign and a cell phone at the same time (I mean you could, but it may be a little difficult). Probably also coupled with the fact that wrestling isn't "pop culture cool" anymore so people don't think their buddy and their buddies buddy are all watching to see the sign.

No that’s why lighters went away(along with less people smoking ofc).

Signs stopped because average WWE fans just aren’t as passionate as they were back then. 

3 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Just imagine Goldberg vs Kazuyuki Fujita. Less comedy opener & more unintentional comedy main event

I just want to see Lesnar holding up a newspaper so Goldberg can’t spit on him.

Edited by Technico Support

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well... I guess the plan actually is Roman/Cody in LA.

I saw the clip on Loomis and Hartwell from NXT and that was a big piece of evidence of a new Regime. Actual closer to an angle from months and months ago. 

I hope Hunter is in favor of not bringing in Part timers. I'm sure they'll be exceptions like if Rock wanted to do another match. It would be hard to believe that if Hunter never had his heart incident that he wouldn't try to book himself in a match or 2 again with him being seemingly the head booker. 

They needed to move away from these Attitude Era guys getting paydays on these Mania shows and these Saudi show a long time ago.

I don't know that they'll be able to get away from that for the Saudi shows. The Saudis want the stars of yester-year, especially since WWE hasn't made a new star in decades years (it hasn't been that long).

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

Chikara staff (which may have just been Joanne) handed out streamers before their first show. But then, that was maybe 100 or 200 people in the back of that wrestling store in Allentown. 

i can believe the early era ROH crowds brought their own to cosplay as Puro fans. But also wouldn’t be shocked if Gabe/RF handed them out too. 

I hate the Saudi shows for obvious reasons but if you are going to take their money to book 60yo guys from the 90s/early 00s then just treat that show like it's non-canon and move on.

With NXT UK evolving into NXT Europe, I wonder if the Steph/HHH era of WWE might be looking to invest in that global expansion we read about years ago?

We might see NXT APAC, NXT South America, NXT Middle East, NXT Africa etc

18 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Chikara staff (which may have just been Joanne) handed out streamers before their first show. But then, that was maybe 100 or 200 people in the back of that wrestling store in Allentown. 

i can believe the early era ROH crowds brought their own to cosplay as Puro fans. But also wouldn’t be shocked if Gabe/RF handed them out too. 

When I went to ROH events in the 2010s that one superfan that always traveled would hand them out to people at ringside pre-show and get everyone fired up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I hope Hunter is in favor of not bringing in Part timers. I'm sure they'll be exceptions like if Rock wanted to do another match. It would be hard to believe that if Hunter never had his heart incident that he wouldn't try to book himself in a match or 2 again with him being seemingly the head booker. 

Not sure about that. I remember around ten years ago HHH was already wanting to wind down a good deal, if not straight up retire just so he could focus completely on the behind scenes work. I always got the feeling he mostly didn't retire because of Vince.