DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

16 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

This just reminded me how much PPVs miss theme music, and nu-metal specifically. It even lends gravitas to Eric Bischoff and Bill Kidman. Doesn't matter how stupid it is, wrestling is usually stupid. As most of us will agree, even Limp Bizkit can sound profound if you play it over footage of Stone Cold and The Rock giving each other a punch. 

No PPV music, like no PPV specific sets, makes everything seem very budget and low rent, when the sense of spectacle is one of the main things WWE should have going for it. This seems like an easy win for HHH, just chuck Code Orange and Poppy in a studio together for a few weeks and you'll have people feeling hyped up and emotional for that Karrion Kross vs Madcap Moss iron man main event in no time.

Agreed 100%. My favorite era of PPV themes, watching that clip the whole card comes off epic... bring back the moving match graphics permanently too. 

32 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I was blessed enough to miss all of this. What was he up to?

From what I recall:
-Reached out to AEW for a job, said on his pod he had been "begging" Tony for a job.
-After seemingly not hearing back, started to rip on Dynamite online.
-Went back to saying he still wants a job with AEW, believed he could help with their TV and promos
-Went to Impact and sat in with the creative team for the last tapings
-Back in WWE

2 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

I miss the old sea of signs. Sure they we’re mostly some guy’s name with an arrow pointing down but with so many you always got at least a couple funny ones. 

Agreed!

sn7r1kjd3es11.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think a couple things are at play with the signs or lack thereof.

Back in those days, bringing a sign to Raw or Nitro was the only way to get your message across to a wide audience or worker themselves - now you can just go on Twitter and talk shit directly to Road Dogg, and the whole planet will see. You don't need the sign that says "Zakk ↓" because Facebook will tell anyone in a 200 mile radius exactly who you are.

Generally speaking, wrestling is also just not as popular of a thing to be seen at as it was back then - i'd bet nowadays there are an equal amount of people hiding the fact they've attended (not out of legitimate shame, but more like a 'guilty pleasure' thing) as there are people trying to make sure they're seen on TV. If you ever watch ESPN College GameDay you'll still see tons of Attitude Era -type signs because it's just a more popular thing

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Agreed 100%. My favorite era of PPV themes, watching that clip the whole card comes off epic... bring back the moving match graphics permanently too. 

From what I recall:
-Reached out to AEW for a job, said on his pod he had been "begging" Tony for a job.
-After seemingly not hearing back, started to rip on Dynamite online.
-Went back to saying he still wants a job with AEW, believed he could help with their TV and promos
-Went to Impact and sat in with the creative team for the last tapings
-Back in WWE

Agreed!

sn7r1kjd3es11.jpg

Something tells me Road Dogg's flirt game is "Yo gurl.  Hey.  Hey.  You look beautiful.  Why ain't you talking to me, are you some stuck up bitch?  Yo girl, hit me up."

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Road Dogg is now the Vice President of Live Events, not the exact job Jeff Jarettt had. Jeff was the Senior Vice President of Live Events.

WWE to bring back one of the former writers of NXT, one Ryan Katz.

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I assume Bruce is out shortly. Shawn and Brian is the new Pat and Bruce.

I get more and more concerned about the Triple H era, creatively. Like this dude either only knows one song, or he’s loyal to a degree of broadbased cronyism that even Vince has to be thinking “damn son, don’t you have any other friends?” 

Neither is good, and that one song started to really suck when Cole, Gargano and Ciampa sung it for an hour a week.

bring back Gabe Sapolski. See if he has any non gang warfare tricks left in his sleeve

On 8/22/2022 at 10:53 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It seems to just be the modern version of when people brought random drawings of Cartman and (TOTAL STRANGER'S NAME) 3:16/4:20/4:69 in the '90s. Doesn't necessarily bother me, but it's lazy as shit.

I still haven't figured out who Sushi X is

• Haha 1

Why were Attitude Era fans obsessed with making signs with his name? I guess video game signs are eternal in wrestling. Someone is going to dig up some Memphis footage with someone holding up a "Pong Rocks" sign during a Dream Machine match

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

There was also a wrestling website writer in the late-1990s that wrote as Sushi X. The EGM writer came first and the wrestling site writer took the name.

On 8/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

All signs are awful. People should be angrier. 

I thought that signs annoyed me. Then the hipsters started chants. Now I miss the signs.

At least signs require some preplanning and effort, and a lot of bad ones are funny to me (unless you are stuck behind one, but a pleasant request and/or surly snarl will take care of that). Chants are the crowd trying to be part of the show and not at all spontaneous these days, and are a more aggressive way to show one's "smartness" that gets in my face more. What is worse is that so many young workers are influenced by these chants and cultivate them. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Signs and the towels are fine in Japan where the fans are seated and hold them up below their own eye level. I'll never go to an AEW show because of all of the goofs standing in front of me with signs.

I actually came to this thread to ask if anyone else is loving The Great John Hawking My Man in IWA PR.

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I thought that signs annoyed me. Then the hipsters started chants. Now I miss the signs.

At least signs require some preplanning and effort, and a lot of bad ones are funny to me (unless you are stuck behind one, but a pleasant request and/or surly snarl will take care of that). Chants are the crowd trying to be part of the show and not at all spontaneous these days, and are a more aggressive way to show one's "smartness" that gets in my face more. What is worse is that so many young workers are influenced by these chants and cultivate them. 

Add throwing streamers to the list. Puro cosplay wannabes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

There was also a wrestling website writer in the late-1990s that wrote as Sushi X. The EGM writer came first and the wrestling site writer took the name.

Sushi X was from rspw. We all made fun of him... he made Al Isaacs look credible.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Add throwing streamers to the list. Puro cosplay wannabes. 

The only shows I've been at that had streamers, someone who worked for the promotion went around the ring handing them out before the main event.

10 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Sushi X was from rspw. We all made fun of him... he made Al Isaacs look credible.

I like to think that maybe Isaacs was some sort of medium, and that Yoko eventually joined his pre-deceased Hart Foundation brethren in the great beyond

• Like 1
  • Haha 2