DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Jeff Jarrett departed WWE. 

He did what he came to do.

"I came to eat sushi and ruin Vince ... And I'm all out of sushi."

Edited by nate
  • Haha 4

One of the many reasons I hate thee COVIDs is that all the Ikinari steak houses in NYC closed down. It was a real bonding experience for my kid and I to eat there whenever we visited; she's a Japanophile and carnivore like me. Don't get me started on Gray's Papaya.

Wrestling content*: One time (25 years ago?) I worked a show in Indiana, around the holidays. All the indy promoters knew you could book Jimmy Valiant cheaply (no trans) at that time of the year because he was around to visit his family. It was in a high school and we were using the classrooms as the lockerroom area. The Boogie Woogie Man and RAF were assigned one together, much to my giddy secret mark delight. I made the requisite handshakings and obsequities, but kept quiet merely observed his match and merch work 'cause that is how I was trained. Several young workers came up to him throughout the evening and he gave them the office & skillfully directed them to his gimmick table. Towards the end of the card, as we were putting our stuff together, I noticed that all of his clothing, including his street (people) clothes, had his name on it in some form. Boogie Man, Boogie Woogie, Handsome, Jimmy Valiant, Boogie's Wrestling Camp and so on --- I was stunned at this major stylistic gambit, genuinely agog at the deserved arrogance of it as well as the practical thrift and mercantile aspects. I said, "Mr. Valiant, I am very impressed that all of your clothing** has your name on it. I have to ask: what happened to all your old ring wear? It was so great. Do you still have the "CHEWBACCA" tights?"

"Well, you know brother, things happen, and time passes. I ain't got none of that stuff any more."

"None of it?!?! The Big Mama's Flowers shirt? The radio station trunks?"

"No, brother, all gone. You know I moved and some ladies took some..."

[an element of despair cracks my voice] "What about the jacket that said I AM A and the trunks that had a star on the ass?"

"All gone, man, but it don't matter, that's the way of the world, daddy."

I like to think that he gave me some color photos to console my wounded soul. An Earth without the Iconic Vestments was a lesser one for me, I thought. In turn I gave him some stickers for my zine CLAW HOLD!. I later mailed him a bunch of issues and merch, and we wrote back and forth a couple times. He invited me to come up to the Camp and we chatted before he had to grab his ride. The Handsome One taught me the Buddha lesson on the impermanence of all material things and the danger of our attachment to such things. That interaction I had was better than any memorabilia I could own.

*Senility warning - I have told this story here before. It is proudly one of my faves...

**Including his socks, by the way.

• Like 18

I didn't mind some of the video game signs, at least at first when there was a bit of wit (or at least displays of actual good taste in videogames) to some of them. All of the Youtuber or podcast in joke signs should be burnt, however, and those responsible executed by the state, or at least firmly told to stop it. 'Simon give me an up'? How about you and Simon both fuck off into a large bin and stop trying to publicise obnoxious influencer nonsense on my TV?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Maffew puts the videogame signs in Botchamania because he knows a lot of the people are bringing the signs to shows, so they'll be in Botchamania. Which does mean that once he stops putting them in, people will probably stop the signs. BUT at the moment, it's a thing where more people find them charming than annoying, and he doesn't want to annoy his fans.

• Like 2

Evanescene's "Bring Me To Life" is the #1 song on iTunes right now for some reason, 19 years after its release.  (I'm just assuming it was on a TV show I don't watch.)

To give you an idea of how long ago that was, here is the lineup for No Way Out '03:

• Like 1

WWE lost Jeff Jarrett yesterday. Hired Road Dogg back today. 

The Triple H dickriding era is over. WWE in the mud et cetera.

• Like 1

I assume Bruce is out shortly. Shawn and Brian is the new Pat and Bruce.

I get more and more concerned about the Triple H era, creatively. Like this dude either only knows one song, or he’s loyal to a degree of broadbased cronyism that even Vince has to be thinking “damn son, don’t you have any other friends?” 

Neither is good, and that one song started to really suck when Cole, Gargano and Ciampa sung it for an hour a week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Evanescene's "Bring Me To Life" is the #1 song on iTunes right now for some reason, 19 years after its release.  (I'm just assuming it was on a TV show I don't watch.)

To give you an idea of how long ago that was, here is the lineup for No Way Out '03:

This just reminded me how much PPVs miss theme music, and nu-metal specifically. It even lends gravitas to Eric Bischoff and Bill Kidman. Doesn't matter how stupid it is, wrestling is usually stupid. As most of us will agree, even Limp Bizkit can sound profound if you play it over footage of Stone Cold and The Rock giving each other a punch. 

No PPV music, like no PPV specific sets, makes everything seem very budget and low rent, when the sense of spectacle is one of the main things WWE should have going for it. This seems like an easy win for HHH, just chuck Code Orange and Poppy in a studio together for a few weeks and you'll have people feeling hyped up and emotional for that Karrion Kross vs Madcap Moss iron man main event in no time.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Dog said:

Does it seem like wrestling fans are ... a lot angrier than usual lately? Is that weird, considering that most things seem to be heading in the right direction? 

Everyone’s a lot angrier. Cancel social media before my kids are old enough to use it please. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, SturmCRF said:

This just reminded me how much PPVs miss theme music, and nu-metal specifically. It even lends gravitas to Eric Bischoff and Bill Kidman. Doesn't matter how stupid it is, wrestling is usually stupid. As most of us will agree, even Limp Bizkit can sound profound if you play it over footage of Stone Cold and The Rock giving each other a punch. 

No PPV music, like no PPV specific sets, makes everything seem very budget and low rent, when the sense of spectacle is one of the main things WWE should have going for it. This seems like an easy win for HHH, just chuck Code Orange and Poppy in a studio together for a few weeks and you'll have people feeling hyped up and emotional for that Karrion Kross vs Madcap Moss iron man main event in no time.

Agreed 100%. My favorite era of PPV themes, watching that clip the whole card comes off epic... bring back the moving match graphics permanently too. 

32 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I was blessed enough to miss all of this. What was he up to?

From what I recall:
-Reached out to AEW for a job, said on his pod he had been "begging" Tony for a job.
-After seemingly not hearing back, started to rip on Dynamite online.
-Went back to saying he still wants a job with AEW, believed he could help with their TV and promos
-Went to Impact and sat in with the creative team for the last tapings
-Back in WWE

2 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

I miss the old sea of signs. Sure they we’re mostly some guy’s name with an arrow pointing down but with so many you always got at least a couple funny ones. 

Agreed!

sn7r1kjd3es11.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think a couple things are at play with the signs or lack thereof.

Back in those days, bringing a sign to Raw or Nitro was the only way to get your message across to a wide audience or worker themselves - now you can just go on Twitter and talk shit directly to Road Dogg, and the whole planet will see. You don't need the sign that says "Zakk ↓" because Facebook will tell anyone in a 200 mile radius exactly who you are.

Generally speaking, wrestling is also just not as popular of a thing to be seen at as it was back then - i'd bet nowadays there are an equal amount of people hiding the fact they've attended (not out of legitimate shame, but more like a 'guilty pleasure' thing) as there are people trying to make sure they're seen on TV. If you ever watch ESPN College GameDay you'll still see tons of Attitude Era -type signs because it's just a more popular thing

• Like 1