DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

4 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

8 people so far. Emilia McKenzie is done.

I never regularly watched NXT UK, same with 205. Can't say I will miss the NXT UK brand.

205 smoked NXT UK in every conceivable way, especially the original crew. I still can't believe what a wild overreaction it was to start a whole territory over that doomed World of Sport reboot.

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Impact Wrestling should really be thriving off the kind of guys getting released here. Mandrews and Mastiff are very good pro wrestlers. Damo isn't recent but another good wrestler. 

Damo looked pretty good on Rampage some months back, I'd be surprised if Impact didn't give him a look (or if TK keeps him on ice for ROH or something). I can't say I've seen a ton of him outside NXT, but he was pure f'ing awesome in whichever WarGames it was that he was involved in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

If no one else is fired then I can see why they kept Dempsey, Dragunov, Dar, and Seven out of the guys. A few of the others (Dennis, T-Bone, & Huxley) leave me a bit confused though as someone who is out of the loop maybe they have improved over the years. Makes sense to keep Jinny & Brookside. Feels like they should have kept Samuels if just for a good enhancement talent.

Trent Seven and Xia Brookside are weirdly in the WWE Alumni section on their website. Neither are on the NXTUK section.

• Sad 2

Why do we think Wikipedia editors have the inside info? WWE's official UK roster page still lists Wolfgang and the Coffeys. And Joseph Connors!

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dog said:

Why do we think Wikipedia editors have the inside info? WWE's official UK roster page still lists Wolfgang and the Coffeys.

Because other websites and their own twitters gave away their releases and Wiki users just copy and steal info.

Nobody said those guys were released and they have been moved internally to NXT 2.0.

Edited by Blue Dragon

21 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

The Stone Cold commercial is fantastic.

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I skipped around the file trying to find the Austin commercial but hearing Hogan in Hank Hill voice made me watch the whole thing. That is insane. AI be obsessed with human food...

Gotta say my favorite was Tazz with WWE Rice Pudding, with Booker's Tungsten Rubber Ducks a close second. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.

• Like 2

At some point recently, we were talking about Vince-isms and who came up with what terms. In listening to an old JC pod, Ross is “credited” with the person who came up “industry” instead of “the business.” 

also funny that on the banned list they were discussing, “faction” was a banned word back then. That might be the word that irks me the most. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

At some point recently, we were talking about Vince-isms and who came up with what terms. In listening to an old JC pod, Ross is “credited” with the person who came up “industry” instead of “the business.” 

also funny that on the banned list they were discussing, “faction” was a banned word back then. That might be the word that irks me the most. 

I always wondered why I always read the term online as a kid, but never heard it on TV - to the point where I falsely assumed it was yet another insider term I just hadn't learned yet. That explains, for example, why in 2000 or 2001 (the first time I heard it referenced on WWF TV) the "McMahon-Helmsley Faction" was quickly renamed the "McMahon-Helmsley Regime" after a pretty short time.

Personally, both "the business" and "our industry" annoy me in the context of the show. I'm perfectly fine with it on a podcast or a shoot interview etc. (or any conversational or written reference to either, really) but on TV, the WCW fan in me always preferred the references to "our sport" or "in wrestling." Unrelated to my above mention of him, I think HHH completely burned me out on "In this business..." during the reign of terror.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I'll also throw some of the blame Kevin Nash's way for his usage of "the business" in WCW
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, caley said:

Who is it who hated the term "suplex"?! Because I noticed on Smackdown tonight, Michael Cole yelling "German Throw!" so maybe it wasn't a Vince-ism.

German throw sounds like a vulgar term you have to look up on Urban Dictionary.

• Haha 4

WWE Smackdown Women's Championship: Charlotte Flair defeated Carmella (c) and Becky Lynch in a Triple Threat pinning Lynch at SummerSlam 2018. Iconic moment after the match with Becky attacking Charlotte. I still remember cheering in the early hours of the morning. What a pop. The "Yes!" chants and "You deserve it!" to Charlotte Flair was hilarious.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Took a big swing with this, trying to get some acknowledgement from Meltzer, but he doesn't seem to be on Twitter today. Maybe he's not on there during weekends? I don't know.

Anyway, here's a new wrestling crossword!

• Like 8