DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

How come when we talk about who should beat Roman, no one ever says "Bron Breakker"?

That should be the answer, but I don't know if the odds of that are better or worse now that Vince is out for the time being?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Rock was a giving, selfless top star unlike Triple H. Man, Trips World Heavyweight Championship reign of terror was exactly that.

I didn't like NWA-style Champion HHH back then, but a World Champion should beat The Hurricane in a few minutes. Beating Booker T with what felt like three Wrestlemanias passing after a borderline racist programme which only redeeming potential did not get fulfilled is a bigger issue than beating a comedy mid carder in under 5 minutes to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, ReiseReise said:

I didn't like NWA-style Champion HHH back then, but a World Champion should beat The Hurricane in a few minutes. Beating Booker T with what felt like three Wrestlemanias passing after a borderline racist programme which only redeeming potential did not get fulfilled is a bigger issue than beating a comedy mid carder in under 5 minutes to me. 

Still pissed me off to this day, the Triple H/Booker T feud in 2003 and what went down at WrestleMania XIX.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Still pissed me off to this day, the Triple H/Booker T feud in 2003 and what went down at WrestleMania XIX.

Totally with you. If my memory serves me correctly, they went out of their way to downplay the racist stuff after initially "going there", but even if my reaction might have been overly sensitive, it was just badly booked. 

It felt like I graduated University between the Pedigree and the three count aswell. Something that happened about 13 years later. One of the worst non-fuck-finishes I saw, maybe the worst. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Totally with you. If my memory serves me correctly, they went out of their way to downplay the racist stuff after initially "going there", but even if my reaction might have been overly sensitive, it was just badly booked. 

It felt like I graduated University between the Pedigree and the three count aswell. Something that happened about 13 years later. One of the worst non-fuck-finishes I saw, maybe the worst. 

It still blows my mind that after all of that, what a fucking absolute shill Booker T is for WWE now.  It's embarassing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

I'm with you.

11 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

It still blows my mind that after all of that, what a fucking absolute shill Booker T is for WWE now.  It's embarassing.

If he can get a good to great payday from them, I won't blame him. Deep down I also would hope the company has changed a bit, but yeah, he seemed appeased with whatever they had to offer. 

39 minutes ago, Dog said:

How come when we talk about who should beat Roman, no one ever says "Bron Breakker"?

Because if it happened Wrestlemania would be the most sensible place, and some seem to want Roman's reign to end before then. Even now there are some who at least want the titles to be broken up again.

Ending Roman's, uh, reign before WM seems stupid on so many levels.

As someone cautiously dipping their toe back into WWE again, I want him to hold onto both titles until WM and only lose them to Cody or Bron, preferably Cody. WM is the best stage to put someone over huge and make a huge star. While you could argue that Cody already is a huge star, I think it would still mean a ton to put him over at WM. For someone like Bron though, there's a lot of ifs. I think he needs to be hot out of the gate on Raw or SmackDown, do something huge like winning the Royal Rumble, and continue being hot until WM. That's a lot to ask for someone who is currently an NXT guy, but I also think it's doable.

The last thing I want is Roman vs the Rock.

• Like 3

People are getting way ahead of themselves with Bron. He’s still super green. And can’t talk or act to save his life, at this point. Would get exposed badly working the WWE champion grind right now. A huge disservice to a promising talent.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

The issue isn’t that Triple H beat Hurricane in 4 minutes.

The issue is WHY was it the Hurricane, when you could have done something with him after beating the goddamn Rock a few weeks prior. Instead, he beat the Rock, went right back to where he was (DQ win over… Rodney Mack, then a loss to Trips). 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As someone cautiously dipping their toe back into WWE again, I want him to hold onto both titles until WM and only lose them to Cody or Bron, preferably Cody. WM is the best stage to put someone over huge and make a huge star. While you could argue that Cody already is a huge star, I think it would still mean a ton to put him over at WM. For someone like Bron though, there's a lot of ifs. I think he needs to be hot out of the gate on Raw or SmackDown, do something huge like winning the Royal Rumble, and continue being hot until WM. That's a lot to ask for someone who is currently an NXT guy, but I also think it's doable.

I have little interest in Cody and feel like him winning would be at best a lateral move though still a sensible one. Still I'd rather see them pull the trigger on someone like Montez Ford.

Bron, I still think needs another year though I think some overstate the level of his greenness. I just don't see him coming out hot enough from the very getgo to work. His path probably should be US/IC champ then World champ.

Roman/Rock gets less appealing as time goes on. At this point if the Rock ever showed up I kind of want him just blatantly supporting the Bloodline.

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

The issue is WHY was it the Hurricane, when you could have done something with him after beating the goddamn Rock a few weeks prior. Instead, he beat the Rock, went right back to where he was (DQ win over… Rodney Mack, then a loss to Trips). 

Hunter told Gewirtz and McMahon he wanted to go over Helms? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

People are getting way ahead of themselves with Bron. He’s still super green. And can’t talk or act to save his life, at this point. Would get exposed badly working the WWE champion grind right now. A huge disservice to a promising talent.

I don't see Reigns losing anytime soon. If they want Rock/Roman to be for the title, and they're actually able to make it happen, Reigns probably doesn't drop it until ... Summerslam? Surely Bron could be ready A YEAR from now? 

EDIT: And there's no reason he can't lose the title(s) shortly after winning. Explosive young talent takes the company by storm, then calculating heel takes advantage of his inexperience. 

Edited by Dog

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The issue isn’t that Triple H beat Hurricane in 4 minutes.

You know what though, that 3 week stretch for Hurricane probably made more fans for him than almost any other time during his run. Some guys I think are just what they are. Shane Helms is a good wrestler, but you gotta have openers/lower midcarders and as a comedy/character act he worked perfectly. Nothing wrong with having a little place as fodder. Similar to Dolph Ziggler. Not everyone can be Roman Reigns or The Rock and sometimes it's okay to be Scotty 2 Hotty or Gangrel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I prefer Triple H and his in-ring work to some of the new talent arriving on the scene these days. 

Sammy Guevara as an example.. I don't hate Sammy but the more I see him I'm not seeing a "pillar" of a company type of talent. He pulls off some really crazy moves for sure but his selling is weak and his strikes are abysmal, he's got issues in between the big spots and that holds true for a lot of guys. He also can't talk. 

Triple H could bump, sell, tell a story.. what have you, what he's doing in there is logical and on the microphone he's super comfortable and believable in what he's telling the audience. 

Point is.. Triple H might be "overrated" but I would rather watch his stuff than quite a few people out there old and new.

• Like 4

I've got this YouTube playlist that I've ignored for way too long.  It has giant wads of wrestling I NEED to watch but have been putting off.  THUS it will be on my TV screen until I get it down to zero.  Which will be never, because I add like 30 hours a day to it.  If you would like to join me, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgVT395nyFhGDxtgtrtx7K_azi-eh-l1p

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Are they splitting the titles or is the unification permanent?

I could see them splitting the titles off to Drew (Universal) and Seth (WWE), with Seth defending against Royal Rumble winner Cody Rhodes.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I've got this YouTube playlist that I've ignored for way too long.  It has giant wads of wrestling I NEED to watch but have been putting off.  THUS it will be on my TV screen until I get it down to zero.  Which will be never, because I add like 30 hours a day to it.  If you would like to join me, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgVT395nyFhGDxtgtrtx7K_azi-eh-l1p

I have enough trouble keeping up with the daily Armstrong Alley updates. 

• Like 3