DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

GIve him a 1950's baseball play gimmick with that name

Pine-tar/rosin bag-enhanced “splitfinger” clawhold finisher. He talks only in Stengelese/Berraisms. Entrance where he hits a homer and jogs around the ring like it’s the diamond. And his manager communicates with him during matches solely using coaching hand-signals/signs.

Then he’s interviewed on Smackdown during Sweeps Week, mentions something about Merkle’s Boner and Snodgrass’ Muff, and they get thrown off the air.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Somehow they are going to try to improve on the name Tiller Bucktrot, which is not humanly possible. 

Being that he’s Indigenous, I’m very glad that Vince is no longer in charge of creative.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

My gut feeling is it's either Miro or Cole. 

Holy crap, talk about the opposite of a Sophie's Choice. Cole! Take Cole! What? No, I don't care that you were joking about the whole thing. Take Cole back! Please?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

Cole is still buddies with HBK, he isn't going to run to tell AEW if WWE reaches out.  Could be Miro, Andrade, or Black though

Andrade is married to Charlotte, I'm pretty sure there are fairly easy ways to find out how much longer he has left on his deal and if he'd want to come back to WWE. Technically the same is true of Black and Zelina, although it is much more likely that Zelina isn't completely happy with WWE enough to work as an effective go-between.

Really it is a stupid situation all around, I assume most people who work in WWE and AEW at least have a few friends who work in the other place so back-channel communications aren't exactly difficult to work out.

• Like 3

On 8/15/2022 at 12:32 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Caught most of the DX Biography. Didn't know about the NAO separately going '90s Wrestling Pillhead, nor did I know Waltman fucking hung himself in Mexico.

Really the only thing I came away with from this one was, once again: poor Joanie. 

Just watched it.

My theory about them overdoing the Curtain Call incident the way they do is that it also coincides with them moving away from the house show business model taking priority over TV/PPV. It's an easier/broader talking point to say that the Curtain Call "changed everything" than it is to say "yeah this was the last time we really cared about house show business".

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Being that he’s Indigenous, I’m very glad that Vince is no longer in charge of creative.

I had a terrible thought of Vince trying to give Trans wrestler Meats old gimmick. Lord him being stuck in Florida (or where ever) is for the best isn't it

• Like 1

Went down a YouTube rabbit hole of 90s/00s era WWE stuff and ended up at the segment where The Hurricane and The Rock meet each other. Pretty wild to think that the last person the Rock ever lost to (on TV) was Shane Helms, and it was his second to last match he'd ever have on television.

Then like 2 weeks later, Triple H beat the Hurricane in under 4 minutes. Now I know Hunter was coming off a successful title defense the night before at 'Mania XIX, and it's not like the Hurricane was some upper midcard guy, but... I mean, damn. Maybe there was a storyline reason for the match happening, or something, but from just looking at Cagematch results it sure seems kinda low. You couldn't go do a 4 minute squash of Maven or something?

Edited by Casey
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Went down a YouTube rabbit hole of 90s/00s era WWE stuff and ended up at the segment where The Hurricane and The Rock meet each other. Pretty wild to think that the last person the Rock ever lost to (on TV) was Shane Helms, and it was his second to last match he'd ever have on television.

Then like 2 weeks later, Triple H beat the Hurricane in under 4 minutes. Now I know Hunter was coming off a successful title defense the night before at 'Mania XIX, and it's not like the Hurricane was some upper midcard guy, but... I mean, damn. Maybe there was a storyline reason for the match happening, or something, but from just looking at Cagematch results it sure seems kinda low. You couldn't go do a 4 minute squash of Maven or something?

The Rock was a giving, selfless top star unlike Triple H. Man, Trips World Heavyweight Championship reign of terror was exactly that.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

If you asked me back then if I would have any respect for HHH today, i'd have laughed at you.

That being said, I like HHH the booker/corporate entity far more than I ever liked him in-ring.  

Same here.

Only Triple H matches I like:

• Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. RAW, 22nd September 1997.
  • Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. Royal Rumble 2000.
  • Triple H vs. The Rock. Judgment Day 2000.
  • Triple H vs. Chris Jericho. Fully Loaded 2000.
  • Triple H vs. Steve Austin. No Way Out 2001.
  • Triple H/Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho. Post Judgment Day 2001 RAW.
  • Triple H vs. Batista. Vengeance 2005.
  • Triple H vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXVII.
  • Triple H vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXVIII.
  • Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan. WrestleMania XXX.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Only Triple H matches I like:

• Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. RAW, 22nd September 1997.
  • Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. Royal Rumble 2000.
  • Triple H vs. The Rock. Judgment Day 2000.
  • Triple H vs. Chris Jericho. Fully Loaded 2000.
  • Triple H vs. Steve Austin. No Way Out 2001.
  • Triple H/Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho. Post Judgment Day 2001 RAW.
  • Triple H vs. Batista. Vengeance 2005.
  • Triple H vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXVII.
  • Triple H vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXVIII.
  • Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan. WrestleMania XXX.

HHH/Cactus Jack is one of my favorite WWE feuds....but it would've been nice to see Foley win.  I know he won that initial one-off street fight(Cactus' first WWE appearance I think), but he really should've gotten a win for the title, IMO.  

Plus, it led to one of my all time favorite Foley moments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, StuntmanCrowley said:

HHH/Cactus Jack is one of my favorite WWE feuds....but it would've been nice to see Foley win.  I know he won that initial one-off street fight(Cactus' first WWE appearance I think), but he really should've gotten a win for the title, IMO.  

Plus, it led to one of my all time favorite Foley moments.

That moment and the Royal Rumble 2000 match are terrific. I'd probably give the match itself *****. Y'all will have spotted there were two 2x4 wrapped in barbed wire: real and fake. Foley took the real and Trips the fake. Trips backstage regretted not getting hit with the real thing.

The WWE Rivals show after the DX Biography was about Hunter/Foley. It was pretty fun reliving that feud, especially since it'd been forever since I saw the WWE debut of Cactus Jack which I saw live on TV when it happened and completely lost my shit for. It's wild that Foley had just turned 30 for the last of those matches. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

If you asked me back then if I would have any respect for HHH today, i'd have laughed at you.

That being said, I like HHH the booker/corporate entity far more than I ever liked him in-ring.  

His NXT booking run from like 2014 to 2016 was great. But so was his in-ring run (IMO) from about 98-01. Gun to my head, I'd probably pick his 99-02 stuff over NXT. I really, really liked Triple H's work from 2000 to when he went down with an injury in 2001. Everything after the year he came back was kind of dreadful and rightfully panned. He did people like RVD and Booker T no favors, whereas you have The Rock putting over the fuckin' Hurricane weeks before his big match with Steve Austin.

45 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The WWE Rivals show after the DX Biography was about Hunter/Foley. It was pretty fun reliving that feud, especially since it'd been forever since I saw the WWE debut of Cactus Jack which I saw live on TV when it happened and completely lost my shit for. It's wild that Foley had just turned 30 for the last of those matches. 

Pretty sure he was like 32/33 in 1997.

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Pretty sure he was like 32/33 in 1997.

Without looking it up, for some reason I seem to remember him being 34 by the time he retired (again) after WM 2000 4-way, no more than 35, anyway. So that would line up, more or less.

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

How come when we talk about who should beat Roman, no one ever says "Bron Breakker"?

That should be the answer, but I don't know if the odds of that are better or worse now that Vince is out for the time being?

• Like 1