DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

THANKS for the tip!  Where are this located in that hard to navigate mess?  As a kid in the 80s, Colisuem's releases (always in threes: A "Best of the WWF," a tape featuring one wrestler, and a gimmick/or PPV tape) were always something to look forward to.  I grew up in Baltimore city and all we had were mom & pop stores, no chains.  Man, what a time.  God dammit, now the Coliseum video WWF theme song is in my head.

You can search them by name in the search bar on the site if you're looking for a specific one, or go to the WWE page itself and scroll down the page. You know how they have those viewing groups for different things, like Top Rivalries, PLEs, etc.? There is usually a Coliseum Home Video section that you can scroll through, with an option to open up the full collection at the end of that section. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

You can search them by name in the search bar on the site if you're looking for a specific one, or go to the WWE page itself and scroll down the page. You know how they have those viewing groups for different things, like Top Rivalries, PLEs, etc.? There is usually a Coliseum Home Video section that you can scroll through, with an option to open up the full collection at the end of that section. 

AWESOME.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pedro said:

Holy shit thank you for posting this!! I never even heard of it.

Also Superbrawl IV had the thunder cage six man that was pretty good if I remember. 

I think the Superbrawl six man was what I was thinking of, cause it had austin in it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Those early DVD'S Flair, Foley, Benoit, Eddie, Jericho where so good. Some of the best work that company has ever done

The Pillman one was awesome. So was the first Bret one.

30 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I think the Superbrawl six man was what I was thinking of, cause it had austin in it

That one was actually tape trader gold back in the day. WCW never released it on VHS as far as I know so the only way anyone had it was if you actually bought the ppv and recorded it. Another fun fact from that ppv is Jimmy Garvin debuting a Stone Cold Stunner against Johnny B. Badd with him and Michael Hayes shouting about calling it the "911" into the camera after the match. Go to about 1:30 in this clip

https://streamable.com/jm3k8d

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

i still have my whole collection of WWE compilation dvds and will even pop them in on occasion. if i remember, i'll snap a pic when i get home (spoiler alert: i probably won't remember). 

re-spoiler alert: i DID remember! but now i'm drunk and you get a link instead of an imbedded pic. fix tomorrow? maybe but probably not.

tw9fSV8.jpg

Edited by twiztor
edit: drunk but still image instead of link!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I miss Lucha Underground.

I’d give anything for another season as good as seasons 1-3

I've been saying for a while the concept of building a set in a warehouse/soundstage and just running taping needs to utilized by one of these media companies looking for content for their streaming services 

14 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

The Pillman one was awesome. So was the first Bret one.

I remember being slightly let down by some of the matches on Pillman's. Felt like the Luger match could have been better if Luger new what to do, and lord did I get sick of Jr being all "CINNINATIA BENGALS!! NOSE TACKLE!!! WEDGE BUSTER!!!" over and over again.

10 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

That one was actually tape trader gold back in the day. WCW never released it on VHS as far as I know so the only way anyone had it was if you actually bought the ppv and recorded it. Another fun fact from that ppv is Jimmy Garvin debuting a Stone Cold Stunner against Johnny B. Badd with him and Michael Hayes shouting about calling it the "911" into the camera after the match. Go to about 1:30 in this clip

https://streamable.com/jm3k8d

I think WWE had it up on their video site back in the day

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

re-spoiler alert: i DID remember! but now i'm drunk and you get a link instead of an imbedded pic. fix tomorrow? maybe but probably not.

https://imgur.com/a/FV1QHFh

IIRC, The Rise & Fall of ECW dvd is the one where Vince actually admitted that putting HHH over Tazz while Tazz had the ECW title wasn't the best idea.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

I've been saying for a while the concept of building a set in a warehouse/soundstage and just running taping needs to utilized by one of these media companies looking for content for their streaming services 

I remember being slightly let down by some of the matches on Pillman's. Felt like the Luger match could have been better if Luger new what to do, and lord did I get sick of Jr being all "CINNINATIA BENGALS!! NOSE TACKLE!!! WEDGE BUSTER!!!" over and over again.

I think WWE had it up on their video site back in the day

I liked the Pillman one more for the documentary than the matches. Pillman is a guy like Eddie Gilbert to me where they had a relatively brief time in the business but they both fascinate the hell out of me. I thought the matches they included were pretty cool too b/c remember at the time, there was no WWE Network. I thought it was awesome to see the Bad Company match and to be able to rewatch some of the WCW matches like the cage match against Steamboat/Douglas and against Liger. 

• Like 2

See I think my problem was that it was my first time seeing those matches and this was well past Jericho/Mysterio/Eddie doing their revolutionary stuff with Cruiserweights in the mid to late 90's. So stuff like Flyin' Brian vs Brad Armstrong for the WCW Lightheavyweight title felt passe. Agreed that the Bret set was awesome as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zendragon said:

See I think my problem was that it was my first time seeing those matches and this was well past Jericho/Mysterio/Eddie doing their revolutionary stuff with Cruiserweights in the mid to late 90's. So stuff like Flyin' Brian vs Brad Armstrong for the WCW Lightheavyweight title felt passe. Agreed that the Bret set was awesome as well

Ah ok, fair point. See it was more nostalgia for me to see those matches.

• Like 1

I also have the hot take that Pillman wasn't a very good flyer. He was maybe too bulky for his size and was precarious when he hit stuff. You can get away with that if you're a bigger dude like Scorpio, but not if you're a light heavyweight. 

Pillman's best work was typically as a backstabbing heel rather than as a high-flying babyface. His gifts are stooging and selling. 

• Like 2

He really was posed to go on an all time run when died having to replace the top rope stuff with psychology and character work 

Imagine he doesn't die and gets to work WWE main event brawl style against Austin

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 3

It really was right place, right time for him if he wasn't injured and hooked on pain pills. Between the excellent mic work and the shift toward brawling, he would have cemented his legend. 

• Like 1

My first on WWF DVD was ECW Hardcore Revolution by Pioneer Entertainment. I was only exposed to ECW during the TNN Era so I finally got to earlier ECW , most of it was 95/96 , it was mostly like a before they were stars type DVD featuring Benoit, Malenko , Rey ,Juvi and showing Austin and Pillman promos too. For a non WWF DVD it was really well put together. To bad those other companies ECW had partnerships with wasn't as invested in ECW as Pioneer was because they did a good job.

• Like 2

Its funny in hindsight that with such an incredible leap in video quality from VHS to DVD, that for my friends to take the plunge on buying a DVD player it was initial releases like the Matrix and the Lord of the Rings movies, but for me, the "killer app" that got me to join the DVD generation was the 2002 release of the Hulk Still Rules DVD set. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I miss Lucha Underground.

I’d give anything for another season as good as seasons 1-3

After my "Dario Cuerto is Chairman Kaga" comparison the other day, I got to thinking about how you could structure a wrestling promotion around an Iron Chef style conceit. It couldn't work as an exact port since it would be hard to have ongoing angles if it was always a "on the roster vs. outsider" set-up, but it could be something along the lines of having a handful of wrestlers who represent the promotion against challengers from elsewhere, while the rest of the show consists of people on the roster competing to get that position.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Best Buy used to have tons of off-brand wrestling stuff. They had a Japanese Hardcore Wrestling DVD that was just Big Japan with some ATROCIOUS announcing over it (it had the balls-out Honma/Abby Jr. ladder match). They even had a PWG 3-disc set that I snagged. 

They also had those FMW DVDs with the weird English commentary with terrible Russo storylines, but the matches were great. 

• Like 3