DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

18 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

It's on the first Bret Hart set WWE put out, which is probably where most of us caught it, maybe? Yeah, it's excellent. Bret talked this match up in his book, too.

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I had the Bret set and saw it on there.

Ditto.

• Like 1

Not sure if Triple H can make a deal with Bray Wyatt, but that would be a good feather in his cap to right.

Vince McMahon constantly punishing Bray Wyatt was absolute dog shit. It just seems whenever Bray Wyatt was on the cusp of something big, WWE Creative or Vince were always there to pull the rug out from under him. Wyatt simply made the mistake of knowing his value and telling McMahon to his face that his booking was dog shit, which it was.

It's like the idea hates the idea of certain Superstars becoming too big or making too much money because then they'd be bigger than WWE.

Everyone knows cutting Bray Wyatt over "budget cuts" was nonsense as well. Bray Wyatt is not a budget cut.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

on the first Bret Hart set WWE put out, which is probably where most of us caught it, maybe? Yeah, it's excellent. Bret talked this match up in his book, too.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yeah, I had the Bret set and saw it on there.

Man, I have zero memory of having seen this but just checked, and sure enough it's on there. I don't remember the DiBiase match from Odessa that's listed right after it on the rundown either, so I'm really looking forward to revisiting that one too. Thanks dudes.

• Like 2

I fucking love (no surprise!) that first Bret Hart DVD, The Best There Is, Was and Will Ever Be as a lifelong fan of Bret and wanting his career to be done justice. Two ***** matches in Bret vs. Owen at WrestleMania X and Bret vs. Austin at WrestleMania 13 which is my pick for the best wrestling match ever. Still remember the shock when the DVD was announced and the picture of Bret/Vince shaking hands. So glad it turned out that way and not as originally intended, a hit piece on Bret's character like The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior. You couldn't get two different people in Bret and Warrior.

• Like 3

I forgot about that Warrior DVD. Sure, Warrior was a weirdo, homophobic, animal abusing juice head, but surely there has to be some medium between "Warrior Award is for true heroes ? " and "total fucking burial on tape from every single employee."

You know WWE's pettiness is on another level when they can get me to feel empathy for that guy.

• Like 5

That early run of WWE DVDs was what brought me back into wrestling after no paying attention for a couple years. The first Flair one, that Bret one and yes, the Benoit one were such an amazing thing at the time. It was so exciting to finally have so many matches that I'd watched on third generation VHS in great (for the time) quality.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, twiztor said:

truth be told, i love that Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior dvd. i even bought the 2-disc FYE exclusive edition.

I did as well ripping on a POS in Ultimate Warrior.

Best thing about the DVD by far is Christian's impression of the Ultimate Warrior.

• Like 2

Just now, Log said:

That early run of WWE DVDs was what brought me back into wrestling after no paying attention for a couple years. The first Flair one, that Bret one and yes, the Benoit one were such an amazing thing at the time. It was so exciting to finally have so many matches that I'd watched on third generation VHS in great (for the time) quality.

I still own the first Bret Hart and Ric Flair DVDs.

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

I still own the first Bret Hart and Ric Flair DVDs.

I sold mine off when I got the Network. Now, I don't have it or the dvds. Wish I hadn't done that, although, they don't seem to be that hard to find used at like Half Price Books and stuff.  Hell, my local Half Price Books may still have my dvds!

They'll have to pry my Schneider Comp dvds out of my cold, dead hands.

• Like 2

i still have my whole collection of WWE compilation dvds and will even pop them in on occasion. if i remember, i'll snap a pic when i get home (spoiler alert: i probably won't remember). 

now, i tend to prefer to watch full runs of tv as opposed to just the highlights or best matches or what have you. the internet has been tremendous for that. only signed up for the Network one year to watch Mania (via free trial, of course, and cancelled immediately). 

• Like 1

I own the following WWE DVDs:

• Daniel Bryan: Just Say Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • Bret Hart's first.
  • Ric Flair's first.
  • Ricky Steamboat.
  • Mick Foley.
  • Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker.
  • The Streak: 20-0.
  • Kevin Owens.
  • The True Story of WrestleMania.
  • Greatest NXT Matches.
  • The Destruction of the Shield.
  • WrestleMania X-Seven.
  • WrestleMania XIX.
  • WrestleMania XXIV.
  • WrestleMania XXX.
  • Money in the Bank 2011.
  • SummerSlam 2013.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I own the following WWE DVDs:

• Daniel Bryan: Just Say Yes! Yes! Yes!
  • Bret Hart's first.
  • Ric Flair's first.
  • Ricky Steamboat.
  • Mick Foley.
  • Tombstone: The History of the Undertaker.
  • The Streak: 20-0.
  • Kevin Owens.
  • The True Story of WrestleMania.
  • Greatest NXT Matches.
  • The Destruction of the Shield.
  • WrestleMania X-Seven.
  • WrestleMania XIX.
  • WrestleMania XXIV.
  • WrestleMania XXX.
  • Money in the Bank 2011.
  • SummerSlam 2013.

Greatest NXT Matches! Then you have the full version of Cesaro vs Neville they showed in partial form on some end of the year episode! Always wanted to see the full version!

2 hours ago, Log said:

yes, the Benoit one

It was the same here, these got me back into things but especially this one with the Liger and Sasuke matches, which led me to checking into all those pesky Japanese matches I read about but never got tapes of. I've still got my copy (and the Eddie one). Wonder what they're worth now...

• Like 1

I have a bunch of those listed. I think my favorite of the bunch might have been the Foley set because it was really cool for me to finally see some of the matches I had previously only imagined in my mind's eye reading his first book (my local Blockbuster did not have a ton of WCW from his era, it was more or less '95 and on). So for example, the Nasty Boys tag was one he went really in depth on that I never got to see til then.

I actually did some work for WWE ~15 years ago at my old job, and the guy tipped me with the Hogan 3 disc set which was and is the funniest thing ever, I couldn't even be mad about it

• Like 3

I bought a bunch of those early collections. The Shawn Michaels DVD collection was the first modern WWE compilation, as I recall. Then came the Foley comp, etc. I jumped on a lot of those early ones, especially the Bret and Savage comps.

Most of them are on Peacock now, I think. Are any big ones missing?

I will say that I love the Peacock collection of old Coliseum Video tapes, many of which I rented from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video as a kid. I plan on going through those at some point in the near future. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I bought a bunch of those early collections. The Shawn Michaels DVD collection was the first modern WWE compilation, as I recall. Then came the Foley comp, etc. I jumped on a lot of those early ones, especially the Bret and Savage comps.

Most of them are on Peacock now, I think. Are any big ones missing?

I will say that I love the Peacock collection of old Coliseum Video tapes, many of which I rented from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video as a kid. I plan on going through those at some point in the near future. 

Until 2008 I bought quite a bunch of WWE DVD's after selling off my VHS collection back in 2003. Had a bunch of the same DVD's as you guys, but I tried getting as many compilations as I could. Eddie, Benoit, Rey, HBK, Bret, Steel Cage, Hell in a Cell, Ladder Match, Greatest Superstars of the 80's and a bunch of important PPV's.

Funnily enough, I haven't watched pretty much anything from the Network that I own on DVD, but I haven't watched a DVD since had the Network (or FITE app now).

I did watch stuff I used to own on VHS from the Network, but my mission was to watch as much never before seen stuff I possibly could. It was nice to fill the blank spots in my wrestling knowledge from the years '86 to present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

many of which I rented from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video as a kid. I plan on going through those at some point in the near future. 

Man, they didn't have those on the stand-alone Network yet when I cancelled it years ago. I would have loved to have watched like, WrestleFest '94 or Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams again for the same reason as you. There were some that I made my Dad rent so often, it probably would've been cheaper in the long run to just buy 'em.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Man, they didn't have those on the stand-alone Network yet when I cancelled it years ago. I would have loved to have watched like, WrestleFest '94 or Bloopers, Bleeps, and Bodyslams again for the same reason as you. There were some that I made my Dad rent so often, it probably would've been cheaper in the long run to just buy 'em.

Unfortunately, for some weird reason the collection didn't include WrestleFest'94 at least it didn't when I had it (until end of March this year). So, no Steiners vs Harts!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

THANKS for the tip!  Where are this located in that hard to navigate mess?  As a kid in the 80s, Colisuem's releases (always in threes: A "Best of the WWF," a tape featuring one wrestler, and a gimmick/or PPV tape) were always something to look forward to.  I grew up in Baltimore city and all we had were mom & pop stores, no chains.  Man, what a time.  God dammit, now the Coliseum video WWF theme song is in my head.

• Like 2