DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Although we recently learned he was dealing with a serious back injury, he checks all of the other HHH boxes - I think he would have been in line for a very strong push on the main shows right now if he were still there.

For your follow-up question, they had a PWG Title match at Threemendous V, I think that's their only singles match

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 10:17 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

ImpureEquatorialAdeliepenguin-size_restr

Settle down EVERYONE-netico.   

Every time I see/hear one of these while I’m out in the field, my blood runs cold and then I spend about 30 minutes trying to work through the adrenaline.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Socially distant meetings sound fine to me as long I have a sec to pay my complements to the person.  Heck, we went to a live show featuring two Youtubers recently and from what I heard their VIP thing had people legit 9 feet away.  Nobody had an issue as they were just happy to be in the same room.  And while I won't go on about creeps there's tons of places where you can pay $130 and expect contact with a woman.  Wrestling shows aren't it.

And I've been very fortunate to have met a ton of wrestlers be it at wrestling shows or fan conventions.  They might not remember the interaction much later on because we're all human but there is something satisfying in having the chance to say thank you.

For example the last convention I went to had a ton of people to meet and about half were AEW wrestlers.  That and the Hardys and Sting had huge lines for them.  So with all that going on Jake Roberts was there and his line was small if not nonexistent.  So we go up there and before I can say anything my wife was tearfully telling him how much she fondly remembered watching him on TV with her dad.  As she's going on I see Jake starting to get a bit misty as well and he was just an absolute sweetheart.  Then my friend talked to him about she had to fight her way through cancer but overcame it which he was really happy to hear.  I gave my appreciation as well but there was something really wonderful about seeing them have that moment with Jake.  The photo op didn't cost that much but the memories are priceless.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Pedro said:

Kross Vs Black would be fun.  Black Vs. Reigns would be a fun feud if done right as well.  I'm not sure the contract status of Black, Andrade,Miro, or FTR but Tony seems to be a smart business man which could make things very interesting.

TK said on an interview recently that Black's got like 5 years left on his AEW deal. FTR ain't going back. Miro is doing more acting, apparently. One thing I think we're discounting is the appeal of the AEW schedule as opposed to WWE's. You're home more. You have more leeway with your likeness ie third party appearances and whatnot. WWE is still a publicly traded company. Nick Khan still has a lot of sway. Some folks will flock back toward WWE, sure. But I don't think it's an exodus of talent TK needs to worry about so much as it is a rabid cost-cutter in the driver's seat at WBD.

• Like 8

Also, I just got caught up on the drama from a couple pages ago, and let me just say; I hate when people get wound up over subjective shit that doesn't matter all that much. 

• Haha 5

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
19 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Anyone ever heard of "Bonecrusher" Dan Sileo? He's listed as a former CWA (Otto Wanz) World Champion on Wikipedia, beating Road Warrior Hawk for the belt, but I've never heard of him and every other source has Rambo winning the  title on that date.

He definitely wrestled for CWA (here's his Cagematch profile), but he wasn't on the show where he's claimed to have won the title (the show's Cagematch entry is here). Wikipedia vandalism, basically.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

4 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Anyone ever heard of "Bonecrusher" Dan Sileo? He's listed as a former CWA (Otto Wanz) World Champion on Wikipedia, beating Road Warrior Hawk for the belt, but I've never heard of him and every other source has Rambo winning the  title on that date.

Yeah looks like someone just randomly messed with the title history wiki, as the edit history shows the previous listing with Rambo in that slot. His wiki mentions a 12 day reign as junior champion and it looks like someone tried to implement that in to the CWA World page but still even messed that up (leaving the reign number blank and inserting 12 as the amount of days held despite 2+ years until the next title change)

Pretty much the perfect match. The psychology and selling is off the charts. I like one of the Sting/Vader matches and '91 WarGames on that level too but we're just talking Steamboat. '92 WarGames with Steamboat should be in the conversation for best Steamboat matches tho. It's not top 5, probably not even top 10 but I always dug the Tenryu/Steamboat match from AJPW in '84. Same with the Luger sprint from GAB '89. 

I'm ashamed (uh oh lol) to say that I've never seen the Slaughter/Kernodle vs. Steamboat/Youngblood cage match. Is it as good as the hype? I always wanted to watch it in context of the feud so I kept putting it off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

I'm ashamed (uh oh lol) to say that I've never seen the Slaughter/Kernodle vs. Steamboat/Youngblood cage match. Is it as good as the hype? I always wanted to watch it in context of the feud so I kept putting it off. 

I watched it for the first time last week and can confirm it whips ass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

I watched it for the first time last week and can confirm it whips ass.

I feel like I'll love it but not be able to appreciate it to its fullest without the context leading up to it, same as I do Duggan/DiBiase with all the stips. 

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I feel like I'll love it but not be able to appreciate it to its fullest without the context leading up to it, same as I do Duggan/DiBiase with all the stips. 

I'd suggest listening to Semp's Mid Altantic pod, as they are just about that match timeline wise. And, if you have the Network,the MACW is on there. 

Booking a trip to Ireland and I'll be staying in Ballydehob, a village in County Cork. I was wandering around on Streetview and it turns out it's the birthplace of Danno O'Mahony, NWA World champion in the 30s and the person who the Irish Whip is named after.

ie191.jpg

Then I remembered I'd seen a statue of a wrestler in Sneem, County Kerry decades ago. That was Steve Casey, a Boston AWA world champion in the 30s and 40s, looking like one of those toy soldiers with molded base.

ie208.jpg

Turns out there's a whole bunch of pro wrestling statues around the world - https://ringthedamnbell.wordpress.com/2022/01/11/immortalized-professional-wrestling-monuments-around-the-world/ (the Baba is great)

Anyone know of others?

• Like 6