DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

7 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Debate me coward

you are a coward because I never said anything like this.  All I said was "if you pay for a picture with someone you should at least know before paying if you are told you will be standing so far away from said celeb"

Also I have saw the gringy pics with Becky, Alexa, Paige, and from what I'd heard and even saw mentioned here, those were posed photos and the girls allowed the poses and knew going in. 

The other stigma here is that all male fans would be creepy and/or smell like trash.  While it's true in many cases it certainly is not for all. 

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I've seen celebs out and being a huge beatles fan have thought about John Lennon and said to myself "some of these people are surprisingly unguarded"

As for meet and greets I've heard that major touring concerts are doing VIP photos socially distanced and with plexiglass  dividers 

Danielson was doing autographs and had plexiglass surrounding him. He didn't charge a dime though because of it.  Sasha is charging at minimum $90 and people weren't aware of the distance before paying. 

I've seen bands like Incubus, 311, Weezer doing the VIP photos and you can stand right there with the band. Some of these prices are also insane though. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
8 hours ago, Octopus said:

in like a, “I wonder what my friend is up to” or a “wonderful, just wonderful” kinda way?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Just let them meet each other socially distanced, then photograph both on a neutral background, then have someone adept at Photoshop onsite to quickly whip up a cringy back-hug photo for these dudes to post online (I was going to say "to show their friends" but come on).  Problem solved.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just let them meet each other socially distanced, then photograph both on a neutral background, then have someone adept at Photoshop onsite to quickly whip up a cringy back-hug photo for these dudes to post online (I was going to say "to show their friends" but come on).  Problem solved.

Better yet, just print the picture and then fold it like one of those things in the back of Mad magazine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Casey said:

pics are barf

IS THAT THE SAME GUY??

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Well, that looks like a solid 6, or 9, or 10 feet to me.

9 minutes ago, Log said:

Better yet, just print the picture and then fold it like one of those things in the back of Mad magazine.

??️BOOM!

....? *thud*

Edited by nate
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

you are a coward because I never said anything like this.  All I said was "if you pay for a picture with someone you should at least know before paying if you are told you will be standing so far away from said celeb"

Pedro, calm down, you stated an unpopular opinion. Some people shat on you, but others like Stefanie gave you reasonable counterpoints. Drop it, log off for a few days.

3 hours ago, nate said:

You are really sensitive about this issue. 

He's sensitive because a bunch of you are bullying him. He made a statement, and a bunch of you mocked him for it for several pages. And I'm sure you're justifying it in your heads with flimsy rationalizations like:

- he criticized a woman, so it's alright to shit on him cause he's probably a misogynist

- he's defending himself passionately, he must be a troll

Yeah, no, you're just fucking bullying him.  Ya'll can drop it too.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Yeah. I have never quite been able to figure it out. My best guess is that there are often social groups organised around specific fandoms and those groups are really important to people... but that's really just a guess.

Japan is the country that originated the term "otaku" to mean an obsessive fan (with a subtext of being a social misfit/outcast with no social/hygiene skills), and the US is the country where anime fans decided to embrace the term as a compliment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

My two cents, as someone who has never paid for an autograph: It should always be the signer/celebrity's option and comfort level, regardless of pandemic.

I got to meet Simon Pegg years back at a book reading and signing (actually was able to meet him beforehand privately as my friends worked at the bookstore). I didn't ask for a photo, but he offered to pose with us and did the arms on lower backs pose.

Likewise with Springsteen, the books were pre-signed but there was a 30-second photo op so I stood next to him and when he did the lower back arm I did the same.

I've never bothered a celebrity at an airport or a bar, although in retrospect I wish I had yelled some choice words at Ted Cruz at DFW.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Crush was my absolute favourite wrestler when I was a kid but I only saw WWF PPVs, so that was mainly from thinking he was cool in the magazine. I was eight, the amount of neon in his ring gear went a long way. Having seen more of his matches since then, he is remarkably bad in quite a lot of them, he just doesn't look natural moving around a ring.

The first live wrestling I ever saw was in 93, when my parents took me to Wembley Arena, where they ran back a lot of the Wrestlemania IX matches, including Crush vs Doink. As at Mania, Doink won by underhanded means. After the match, Crush got his heat back and ran off Doink, and his music played. I hopefully ask if that means Crush won, and my Mum, who has never had the slightest interest in wrestling and was probably already flagging at that point, sharply informs me that no, he lost. And that's how Doink The Clown ruined my childhood twice in the space of a few months.

On television, I don't even think he got to get his heat back most of the time.

That whole program had to be an elaborate rib on someone. At one point, Crush had a promo that started with, "You see my uncle was a clown....".

Loved the bio overall as one of my all time favs, but I did think some of it was constructed to force this "Luger hated being around the people" narrative by trying to base that off him making faces goofing at the camera or making some jokey sarcastic comments, or the scene where he's clearly joking around with the hotel clerks. Like he wasn't supposed to display his personality or something but he still comes off likeable in the clips of meet and greets or media interviews (this was all featured in the Network 3 hr Lex Express footage, my favorite of the hidden gem uploads back when they did those). Like yeah obviously the dude got tired at various points of that long tour and wanted to sleep, but even that got treated as him having a negative attitude about it all or something. I'll forever mark for Made in the USA. 

I'll always wish he did get that title win at Summerslam 93 and agreed with Nash's comments on that. Seems crazy to me that Lex was only The Narcissist for maybe 6 months but got an action figure and in two video games as that character.

Also, Crush is awesome. I recall him getting a nice pop at the Intrepid when he got the closest to slamming Yoko. Definitely wish he went further with that version of his character, but I enjoyed him in all forms. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JLowe said:

My two cents, as someone who has never paid for an autograph: It should always be the signer/celebrity's option and comfort level, regardless of pandemic.

I got to meet Simon Pegg years back at a book reading and signing (actually was able to meet him beforehand privately as my friends worked at the bookstore). I didn't ask for a photo, but he offered to pose with us and did the arms on lower backs pose.

Likewise with Springsteen, the books were pre-signed but there was a 30-second photo op so I stood next to him and when he did the lower back arm I did the same.

I've never bothered a celebrity at an airport or a bar, although in retrospect I wish I had yelled some choice words at Ted Cruz at DFW.

Thanks for sharing this. From the few famous people I've met, I only paid for Mick Foley's autograph at a Tietam Brown book signing, stood by his side for a picture.

Mark Kermode, side by side for a photo after finishing a gig.

Photos with Stuart McCall and Kris Akabusi as a kid, arm round the shoulder.

As noted, only met a few famous people and fortunately never had a bad experience.

• Like 1

Thinking about life and there's times you don't know what will happen down the line. Hindsight is a wonderful thing so the saying goes but I don't think so as you may have chosen wrongly and regret doing so.

At the start of 2022, we'd never have thought Vince McMahon would go. Now knowing that, what would have happened to wrestlers who were fired? Letting William Regal go was such a fucking stupid decision. Regal can do it all: wrestle, teach, commentate, face, heel, manager, comedy, authority figure etc. If AEW didn't snap him up, you'd have thought he'd be one of Triple H's key figures.

TAFKA Cesaro, would he have finally got a big push under Trips and won the world titles wrongly denied to him by Vince McMahon? I'd like to think he would but that's potential naivety on my part.

Would Adam Cole/Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish stayed knowing in less than a year that Vince McMahon was gone? Probably.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thinking about life and there's times you don't know what will happen down the line. Hindsight is a wonderful thing so the saying goes but I don't think so as you may have chosen wrongly and regret doing so.

At the start of 2022, we'd never have thought Vince McMahon would go. Now knowing that, what would have happened to wrestlers who were fired? Letting William Regal go was such a fucking stupid decision. Regal can do it all: wrestle, teach, commentate, face, heel, manager, comedy, authority figure etc. If AEW didn't snap him up, you'd have thought he'd be one of Triple H's key figures.

TAFKA Cesaro, would he have finally got a big push under Trips and won the world titles wrongly denied to him by Vince McMahon? I'd like to think he would but that's potential naivety on my part.

Would Adam Cole/Kyle O'Reilly/Bobby Fish stayed knowing in less than a year that Vince McMahon was gone? Probably.

We live in a very different wrestling bubble if, instead of NXT 2.0, Vince decides to walk away.

It'll be fascinating to see how AEW handles things if/when people genuinely ask for their release because they have great relationships with Triple H/Cody.

I could see Miro and Lana going back and getting a massive world title/main event push.

• Like 2

Can't believe in my original post, I forgot to bring up Bryan Danielson. Triple H running creative won't have changed anything with Danielson wanting to wrestle in Japan and bleed which is why he left.

Other names to throw out there:

Miro, Malakai Black and Andrade.

Realistically not everyone can get a push just because they are friendly with HHH.

Miro has become difficult to book because it feels like you can't beat him again anytime soon but unless they're putting a title on him then it's difficult to feature him.

He could probably have an awesome run with Wardlow but they'd have to trade wins and people would complain about it.

So unless you're going to put the big belt on him, then I'm not sure what you do. I guess they do this HoB feud, but it does feel a little thin.

Whilst I quite like the Mox interim run we're getting out of the Punk injury, I really think Miro should have been the one to go over Hangman.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Malakai Black

Although we recently learned he was dealing with a serious back injury, he checks all of the other HHH boxes - I think he would have been in line for a very strong push on the main shows right now if he were still there.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Random follow up question: has Brody King v Walter ever happened anywhere?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Although we recently learned he was dealing with a serious back injury, he checks all of the other HHH boxes - I think he would have been in line for a very strong push on the main shows right now if he were still there.

Kross Vs Black would be fun.  Black Vs. Reigns would be a fun feud if done right as well.  I'm not sure the contract status of Black, Andrade,Miro, or FTR but Tony seems to be a smart business man which could make things very interesting.

• Like 1