DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The funny thing is that when Dusty did it in WWF, there was a rapper out at the time named Kwame who was famous for wearing polka dots. So it was actually in vogue then. For a very short time, but in vogue nonetheless.

I was listening to rap then and I don’t remember Kwame. 

If I had to guess I’d bet Dusty’s rap knowledge at the time was probably that he liked Walked this way with Aerosmith and Run DMC and that was about it. 

1 hour ago, FourPostMassacre said:

If I had to guess I’d bet Dusty’s rap knowledge at the time was probably that he liked Walked this way with Aerosmith and Run DMC and that was about it. 

Lol, Dusty probably knew more about rap than I did back then. 

Not much has changed on my end.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

There was like a large group of rappers that came around right when West Coast/gangsta rap was starting take off, and it was just terrible timing. Kwame was definitely part of that, but then he would become a little bit infamous when Biggie dissed him on Unbelievable. By then, his career had faded due to not adjusting to that new era. Keep in mind, his popularity came when he was still a high school aged teenager. When he tried to transition out of that for a more mature sound and content, people didn't buy it because of how he started in rap. Years later though, he transitioned to being a producer and a score composer.

No, I brought that point because of Vince and not Dusty. The funny thing was Vince being out of touch if indeed was trying to humiliate Dusty. It would be a very out of touch thing if Vince thought he was burying someone in the early 1990s and then put them in Cross Colours as a punishment.

• Haha 1

I wonder we start going from wrestlers quoting country and rock lyrics to that including also rap lyrics. 

If Bo Diddley and/or George Thorogood had a dollar for every wrestler who quoted Who Do You Love in 1985/6.

2 hours ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Dusty and Magnum were drippin' back in 85

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Davey Boy won on all the UK shows, including winning the prestigious Samovar battle royal at European Rampage '91, and the European title in 1997.AFAIK his only loss in Europe after leaving for Canada in 1980, was to Michaels at One Night Only in 1997.

A quick check on cagematch show that this is not fully true. In 96, he lost twice to HBK (when Michaels was the champion), once to Ahmed Johnson (via DQ) and once to Bret Hart (all in Germany, all on the same tour). Cagematch also lists two losses of the British Bulldogs to Demolition in 88 (in Paris and in Rome) and considering that there is a gap of a week without results on that European tour, I would assume, that the Bulldogs lost more often to the Demos in between.

But yes, in general Davey Boy had a great win-loss record in Europe when working for Vince and Turner (and besides the 88 stuff, never lost when being the face).

Actually, both losses from the 88 tour seem to be online:

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder we start going from wrestlers quoting country and rock lyrics to that including also rap lyrics. 

If Bo Diddley and/or George Thorogood had a dollar for every wrestler who quoted Who Do You Love in 1985/6.

I think once you get to like the MC Hammer era is when you see a throughline between people popping up doing rapper gimmicks and folks quoting rappers.

However, before that though, we had the Wrestlerock Rumble:

My Mount Rushmore of MCs: Rakim, KRS One, Kool Moe Dee, and Larry Z.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Dusty and Magnum were drippin' back in 85

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, America's Team had the drip. Unfortunately, during the 80s though, a lot of the boys had the wrong type of drip and ended up at the free clinic.

• Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think once you get to like the MC Hammer era is when you see a throughline between people popping up doing rapper gimmicks and folks quoting rappers.

IDK about this. I like him, but KRS-One is a little overrated.

(Seriously, jokes aside, I thought Hennig and Hall spit the hottest fire on that track, weighting for the fact that it's a bunch of AWA wrestlers on said track.)

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The trauma of being involved in the WrestleRock Rumble strongly influenced young Curt Hennig's muslcal tastes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

My rap Mt Rushmore:

Chuck D; Kool Moe Dee; Big Daddy Kane; and Rakim. (If I could add a duo in as a single pick, I'd go with guilty pleasure 3rd Bass in place of ... eh, I dunno, someone.)

Newer school: RA the Rugged Man; Chali 2na; Krondon; and Rakka Iriscience. (With a shout to Gift of Gab, who could probably sneak in anywhere in this list).

Edited by nate

My probably predictable Rushmore (which I think mirrors album purchased); PE, 3rd Bass, De La Soul and Beastie Boys. Honorable mention to Ice T, Run DMC and Sugar Hill Gang. 
——
tangentially, who picked this as Brickhouse’s theme? Brick Himself? Joel Watts?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robert s said:

Cagematch also lists two losses of the British Bulldogs to Demolition in 88 (in Paris and in Rome) and considering that there is a gap of a week without results on that European tour, I would assume, that the Bulldogs lost more often to the Demos in between.

They were on their way out, so they probably did lose that tour. 

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

My probably predictable Rushmore (which I think mirrors album purchased); PE, 3rd Bass, De La Soul and Beastie Boys. Honorable mention to Ice T, Run DMC and Sugar Hill Gang. 
——
tangentially, who picked this as Brickhouse’s theme? Brick Himself? Joel Watts?

That ain't too bad if I do say so myself.

45 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

And if I remember right, Brickhouse was already in Mid South when George Wells came in as Master G and used Rappers Delight as his entrance music. 

I watched a Mid South episode last week with ole Master G....man, yeah. The less said, the better.

It also featured a sixteen year old looking Shawn Michaels. It looked like he was hiding from puberty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aesop Rock, Busdriver, MF DOOM, Andre Nickatina (Dre Dog).

This can change from minute to minute, or more accurately, from song to song on my iPod.  Can I also do a duos list?

Cannibal Ox, Run The Jewels, 8Ball & MJG, Dead Prez.

Fuuuuck. What a thing to have to wrap my brain around.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 2

Busdriver and MF DOOM are excellent pulls and got consideration from me as well.

Okay, best live rap performance in wrestling? Obviously Three 6 Mafia on Smackdown!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Busdriver and MF DOOM are excellent pulls and got consideration from me as well.

Okay, best live rap performance in wrestling? Obviously Three 6 Mafia on Smackdown!

If anyone can show me definitive proof that Randy Savage did "Be A Man" or "My Perfect Friend" on a show somewhere, then that is my vote. I am pretty sure he did some sort of touring behind it, so it could have happened. 

Edited by grilledcheese