DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
52 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Some people see the Polka dots as a burial, others say it wasn't including Cody. People do seem to forget that he wore his regular tights towards the end of his run. 

I'm not sure if it's so much Jedi Mind trick or just most of guys being marks for the business or just intimidated by him being the boss.

People also forgot Dusty wore polka dots throughout his career and it wasn't a problem then, just when he got to the WWF. Take this picture from 1976...

3ctFQpt.png

10 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

People also forgot Dusty wore polka dots throughout his career and it wasn't a problem then, just when he got to the WWF. Take this picture from 1976...

3ctFQpt.png

The funny thing is that when Dusty did it in WWF, there was a rapper out at the time named Kwame who was famous for wearing polka dots. So it was actually in vogue then. For a very short time, but in vogue nonetheless.

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The funny thing is that when Dusty did it in WWF, there was a rapper out at the time named Kwame who was famous for wearing polka dots. So it was actually in vogue then. For a very short time, but in vogue nonetheless.

Dusty always thought he had the Rhythm, so maybe there's a connection... 

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Not quite as long or prolific, but I'd say Road Dogg. His shake rattle and roll punches were just a nearfall spot. The dry-hump and pumphandle slam thankfully never caught on, not that he won too many singles matches anyway. He never even had an established tag team finisher with Billy, which is pretty crazy.

It's also crazy how Road Dogg was only a useful piece on a roster between like 1997 and 2000. If he comes along at literally any other time and during any other zeitgeist, he never gets beyond lower-card guy who mostly jobs.

He might be the wrestler with the tiniest window of viability that he was lucky to hit.

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Not quite as long or prolific, but I'd say Road Dogg. His shake rattle and roll punches were just a nearfall spot. The dry-hump and pumphandle slam thankfully never caught on, not that he won too many singles matches anyway. He never even had an established tag team finisher with Billy, which is pretty crazy.

I'd agree that Edge isn't and shouldn't be the first to come to mind when you think spear, but he'll always have the one at Mania 17 on Jeff Hardy.

Spike Piledriver was the most common finish they used.

33 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

It's also crazy how Road Dogg was only a useful piece on a roster between like 1997 and 2000. If he comes along at literally any other time and during any other zeitgeist, he never gets beyond lower-card guy who mostly jobs.

He might be the wrestler with the tiniest window of viability that he was lucky to hit.

Despite the IYH 2 walkout, he was still one of Bruce's friends. Along with JBL, it seems like no matter what, they were going to find them something to do. I mean even if it was basically being the enhancement talent to hold them over.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To me, Dusty occupied a weird space where he was trying to be everything to everyone. One minute, he's the people's champ and a common man. Next interview with Schiavone or David Crockett, he's wearing expensive ass mink coats and furs and talking about his private jet he's taking to the Crockett Cup. I think that's why the smart fans started hating the shit out of Dusty. I

I almost hesitate to say this because there are lots of opinions, including my own, that probably don't need to be re-litigated at this point in time, but holy shit if that doesn't describe the latter half of Cody's AEW tenure to a tee.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I almost hesitate to say this because there are lots of opinions, including my own, that probably don't need to be re-litigated at this point in time, but holy shit if that doesn't describe the latter half of Cody's AEW tenure to a tee.

I was going to say the exact same thing, but I forgot to include that.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2022 at 6:48 PM, Ziggy said:

I'm a fan of Roman and I'm loving his heel run, Bell to Bell he brings it. I just didn't see the point of them giving him both top men's singles titles, especially with him not being on the road as much. I wonder if those titles are officially unified or is he holding 2 belts but yes I'd like for them to go all the way with Drew and get the WWE title back at the UK PPV. I hope WWE gets rid of guys losing in their hometown just because. Not saying notable wrestlers shouldn't every lose in their hometown but Vince did it to humble or humiliate a guy. It's something that went on all the way in the '80s

The only instances I can think of where a WWF/WWE wrestler actually won a "home game" was Davey Boy at Summerslam 92, and that random Raw in the Spring of 1997 from Mobile, Alabama, when Owen actually insisted on losing a non-title bout to Bob Holly [because of course Vince's original plan was for Owen to crush him].

Any others spring to mind for anybody

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

i had never heard of Kwame (i looked him up on wiki and youtube after your post), but it's awesome 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

The only instances I can think of where a WWF/WWE wrestler actually won a "home game" was Davey Boy at Summerslam 92, and that random Raw in the Spring of 1997 from Mobile, Alabama, when Owen actually insisted on losing a non-title bout to Bob Holly [because of course Vince's original plan was for Owen to crush him].

Canadian Stampede

Shawn/Rumble 97

MITB 2011

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I almost feel that Flair should count for sub/pin finishers as he probably won more matches with some sort of roll up as opposed to the figure four

And sometimes, not often, but still getting pinfalls with the figure four!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

2 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Canadian Stampede

Shawn/Rumble 97

MITB 2011

Kurt Angle won the WWF Championship from Steve Austin at WWF Unforgiven 2001 in Pittsburgh.

Trish Stratus beat Lita for the WWE Women's Championship at Unforgiven 2006 in Toronto.

Edge lost the WWE Championship to John Cena in a TLC match at Unforgiven 2006 in Toronto.

John Cena beat Chris Jericho for the World Heavyweight Championship at WWE Survivor Series 2008 in Boston.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

The fans didn't riot after the "If Cena wins, we riot" match, because Cena lost. Although RVD isn't actually from Philadelphia... but even so, it was a home game for him.

• Like 1

Davey Boy won on all the UK shows, including winning the prestigious Samovar battle royal at European Rampage '91, and the European title in 1997.AFAIK his only loss in Europe after leaving for Canada in 1980, was to Michaels at One Night Only in 1997.

45 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Davey Boy won on all the UK shows, including winning the prestigious Samovar battle royal at European Rampage '91, and the European title in 1997.AFAIK his only loss in Europe after leaving for Canada in 1980, was to Michaels at One Night Only in 1997.

I doubt it was televised, but I recall reading a result from a 1991 UK tour on some old magazine that said British Bulldog pinned Ric Flair. The wording could also have been "beat", but there was no mention of it being a DQ or count-out victory, either!

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Wonder if it was part of Warrior's lawsuits against Vince? I don't recall a single show in Parts Unknown, let alone Warrior getting a big win there.

Did they ever even run a show in Queens, NY? You know, Dingo Warrior's home town, as a consolation prize?

"Ok Hellwig, tonight we'll have Andre sit on chest for the pin like he did in Spain back in '88. Oh, hi there, Bad News! What's wrong? Why are you looking like you're about to throw up?"

Edited by Shartnado
How the conversation went, probably...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Still pissed at that. Fuck Shawn, Trips and Vince.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Had the cassingle of this:

and used to have the 12” of this, which I like better (but not the polka-delic era):

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was listening to rap then and I don’t remember Kwame. 

If I had to guess I’d bet Dusty’s rap knowledge at the time was probably that he liked Walked this way with Aerosmith and Run DMC and that was about it.