DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

"He understands as a talent what we go through and what we need to be more creatively energized," Lynch said. "There has been a tendency in the past for creative to change last minute, or we don't know where we're going. It's hard to bring everybody along on this journey if we're rambling."

?

4 hours ago, onelegbrynn said:

I think Drew will win at the UK PPV. No reason for him not too. However, I don’t think he’ll have it for long and they’ll switch it back to Roman at either Extreme Rules or the Saudi show. That way, we still get Roman vs Cody at Mania (presuming Cody wins the Rumble).

Or, alternatively, Drew could hold it until Mania and we get Drew vs Cody at Mania (again, presuming Cody wins the Rumble) if they’re still going for the Roman vs Rock match.

I'm a fan of Roman and I'm loving his heel run, Bell to Bell he brings it. I just didn't see the point of them giving him both top men's singles titles, especially with him not being on the road as much. I wonder if those titles are officially unified or is he holding 2 belts but yes I'd like for them to go all the way with Drew and get the WWE title back at the UK PPV. I hope WWE gets rid of guys losing in their hometown just because. Not saying notable wrestlers shouldn't every lose in their hometown but Vince did it to humble or humiliate a guy. It's something that went on all the way in the '80s

Edited by Ziggy

2 hours ago, Swift said:

It's weird how they're hyping this match as a hometown match for McIntyre or "in his backyard". Ayr is a 7 hour drive from Cardiff. Like New York to Cleveland.

Also, Wales and Scotland are two completely different countries (well, Wales is a principality, but they have their own football team) with subtly different ways of hating the English. Really, they should have Mason Ryan headlining against Roman, or more topically, Mark Andrews. Special guest referee Gareth Bale, Charlotte Church as ringside enforcer, James Dean Bradfield timekeeping.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Infinit said:

25(!) years ago, today...

check out Mike Tenay already using the phrase "he tapped out" in 1997.

Shamrock had started in WWF by then and of course Taz had become the MMAish persona by then but this has to be one of the first instances of the rise of MMA/UFC affecting WCW's presentation of submissions in wrestling.

[Note that Heenan is still referencing the wrestling tradition of a verbal/head nod of yes/I quit.]

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Also, Wales and Scotland are two completely different countries (well, Wales is a principality, but they have their own football team) with subtly different ways of hating the English. Really, they should have Mason Ryan headlining against Roman, or more topically, Mark Andrews. Special guest referee Gareth Bale, Charlotte Church as ringside enforcer, James Dean Bradfield timekeeping.

And Ryan Giggs has a promo where he asks if Vince really did anything wrong. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Swift said:

It's weird how they're hyping this match as a hometown match for McIntyre or "in his backyard". Ayr is a 7 hour drive from Cardiff. Like New York to Cleveland.

That's just a classic WWEism - like how every show I've gone to in NJ or CT has been "In the shadow of NYC!"

Side note - I wonder if that is one of those small things that will change.

If a city they were in for RAW or Smackdown was considered "too small" they would never actually mention where they were

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's just a classic WWEism - like how every show I've gone to in NJ or CT has been "In the shadow of NYC!"

Or referring to Birmingham, England as just "England," if not outright calling it "London," because of born southerner Vince's self-loathing and Birmingham reminded him too much of Alabama.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Or Kofi being from 'Ghana, West Africa', which is basically like announcing AJ Styles as being from 'The United States Of America, North America'.

This company could literally string us along for years by gradually removing ludicrous Vince-isms one at a time. 'It's getting better, HHH is starting to get his feet under the table, this week there were only eight interference finishes and Graves describe Mustafa Ali as a wrestler while Omos was squashing him!'

• Like 5

Yeah - in the new WON that just came out, Meltzer said that people are saying wrestler and wrestling freely now and that a lot of the crew are taking that as a positive sign. Let me grab the full blurb

Regarding the new regime, we’re told that it’s a positive and fresh vibe but some talent is nervous whether they will keep or lose their position. But overall the feeling is more excitement and more positive about the future. Paul Levesque was described as coming across caring about talent. Others noted a wait-and-see attitude and there is also some paranoia among some described to us from those who are not sure if their spots will be as good under the new regime. But it is mostly positive. It was noted it was more relaxed and calmer, that the women felt there is going to be more focus on them and that the words wrestler and wrestling were no longer dirty words talent was instructed to never use without authorization, and almost everyone considers that a good thing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was Sting the first wrestler to have a pinfall finisher and submission finisher? I first noticed in 1998 with the Scorpion Death Drop to go with the long standing Scorpion Deathlock.

And Nova wasn't the first, smart asses!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Was Sting the first wrestler to have a pinfall finisher and submission finisher? I first noticed in 1998 with the Scorpion Death Drop to go with the long standing Scorpion Deathlock.

And Nova wasn't the first, smart asses!

Tito Santana comes to mind - he had been using the Flying Forearm and then started using the Figure-Four Leglock during his IC Title feud with Greg Valentine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, (BP) said:

What if the company is suddenly riddled with cold and flu outbreaks because everyone’s allowed to sneeze now? 

it's okay because they'll be allowed to go to hospitals instead of medical facilities at last

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Hasn't it been shown a number of the Vinceisms actually came from JR? 

Was it a case of Vince being like, "I don't want us to say hosipital" and JR comes back with, "Ok, how about medical facility?" or was JR the one who thought they shouldn't use certain terms?

Michael Cole said WWE fans instead of WWE universe one time last week.

Title Belts is the compromise now for belts. According to the new WWE shop.

Edited by Blue Dragon

I'm pretty sure all of them came from Vince. However, most of them floated down to his subordinates and they're responsible for making sure no one does anything to make Vince freak out. Also, because they follow Vince religiously, they also become proponents of those things. Like for example, the pronouns thing. I remember Bruce going on a rant about pronouns on his podcast and JR did sort of a similar thing. So they eventually go from directive to strong personal belief/indoctrination. 

Since those guys in particular were head of talent relations at various times, you get the "Fucking fatass Jim Ross/lying ass Bruce Prichard told me_______, but yeah I had no real problems with Vince." in numerous shoot interviews.

That's the life of a hatchet man.

• Thanks 1