DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

No Summer Slam/Summer Fest this time round but we have:

The first post Vince McMahon WWE month, that's if he's really retired. We'll see what Triple H's vision is. More skulls!

AEW building towards AEW All Out, Claudio Castagnoli vs. Konosuke Takeshita for Claudio's Ring of Honour Championship this week at Battle of the Belts III which I'm really looking forward to.

NJPW G1 Climax 32.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Karl Fredericks is finished with NJPW. He has seemed very unhappy with his inability to break into the main NJPW roster for a while now, so it’s not a complete surprise. And his contract couldn’t be ending at a better time, honestly. Seems like the type of guy HHH will snap up in a heartbeat for NXT but probably wouldn’t have gotten the time of day under the previous regime.

• Like 2

What's the best three-man booth? Or are you one of the "there can be no such thing" types at all, which I understand even if I would disagree with it?

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

What's the best three-man booth? Or are you one of the "there can be no such thing" types at all, which I understand even if I would disagree with it?

I'm not sure who I'd have in the booth, but I think a three-person booth can work.

In my opinion, it needs a pbp, a color, and an "expert".  The third one is like when Mike Tenay would come on Nitro for Lucha matches. A current example would be Regal during BCC matches. I actually think Taz fills that role nicely when he gives his insight as a former wrestler.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, EVA said:

Karl Fredericks is finished with NJPW. He has seemed very unhappy with his inability to break into the main NJPW roster for a while now, so it’s not a complete surprise. And his contract couldn’t be ending at a better time, honestly. Seems like the type of guy HHH will snap up in a heartbeat for NXT but probably wouldn’t have gotten the time of day under the previous regime.

Fredericks can go. Saw him for Defy a few times and always enjoyed his matches. He'll definitely get a look from WWE or AEW.

2 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Those Nitro booths of Shiavone, Tenay and Bobby/Larry

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Those Nitro booths of Shiavone, Tenay and Bobby/Larry

I prefer Dusty/Tony/Bobby on WCW PPV from around this time, myself. 

Of course, I'm one of about five people on earth to like the short-lived Ross/Heenan/Savage booths on PPV in 1993 WWF, so maybe I'm not exactly a taste-maker on three-man booths. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Tony, Bobby, and Dusty pre-nWo and it isn't even close.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's some unreliable sources saying Hunter has come to an agreement 

Reveal hidden contents

To follow up on this - Bryan Alvarez at least said he had one source telling him it was true but it hasn't hard confirmed it yet

That being said - with the news now out that Becky Lynch separated her shoulder in the SummerSlam match, I could see it happening, especially if they need to put them with Bianca as her partners in the feud against Bayley et al

5 hours ago, Log said:

I'm not sure who I'd have in the booth, but I think a three-person booth can work.

In my opinion, it needs a pbp, a color, and an "expert".  The third one is like when Mike Tenay would come on Nitro for Lucha matches. A current example would be Regal during BCC matches. I actually think Taz fills that role nicely when he gives his insight as a former wrestler.

my thoughts exactly.

but i do love me some b-show dusty rhodes

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There's some unreliable sources saying Hunter has come to an agreement 

Reveal hidden contents

w/ Sasha and Naomi

Kerrmit, or however you spell it, is a Reddit leaker and actually somewhat reliable. If you don't post/lurk on SquaredCircle you wouldn't really know it, since he deletes his threads sometime afterwards.

Three-man booths are usually a train wreck, but they can work if the trio sticks together long enough to build chemistry, and if they have clearly defined roles.

That worked for us in IWC with me on play-by-play, Joe Dombrowski as the Tenay/babyface color guy, and Kingdom James as the intelligent heel color guy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dog said:

Right now it's Excalibur, Taz, Schiavone, on the rare occasions we actually get it.

Agreed. It's a rarity, but those three always have a great booth. Feels like we're in a state of flux a lot of the time with Tony also balancing doing the interviewer role (which he's great at, and always has been) and J.R. now showing up on Rampage and only doing half of Dynamite.

When J.R. hangs it up in the next 5 years or so, I 100% think these three should be the A-booth for Dynamite and PPV. By that time, Jericho, Henry and Paul Wight will have either improved (or not, and moved on) and you can build the Elevation, Dark and Rampage booths from there depending who you got

And also, the landscape could be totally different by then. If ROH can't get TV, the Riccaboni/Coleman team is pretty good. Coleman I thought was particularly good on the episode of Dark he called the other week. I enjoyed the gentleman from MLW last night on the Flair show whose name escapes me, and Tom Hannifan was great too (and always is any time I've caught him on Impact, or years ago on Smackdown). I liked when they would have Veda Scott on, they could give her another look at some point. So depending on the future of those companies and those guys' availability, AEW could probably put together a pretty deep bench if they wanted to in the future.

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed. It's a rarity, but those three always have a great booth. Feels like we're in a state of flux a lot of the time with Tony also balancing doing the interviewer role (which he's great at, and always has been) and J.R. now showing up on Rampage and only doing half of Dynamite.

Hasn't JR been doing all of Dynamite for the last few weeks? I know for a minute there he was only doing the 2nd hour, but it was like two weeks ago or so that he went back to doing the full show and it was a four man booth with is just excessive.

I'm watching RAW right now for the first time in.... god, forever, and the three man booth they have is not great. I've never liked Byron (he's annoying as fuck in WWE 2K22), Graves is annoying, and the MMA guy whose name escapes me is obviously learning the ropes of pro wrestling as he goes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Hasn't JR been doing all of Dynamite for the last few weeks? I know for a minute there he was only doing the 2nd hour, but it was like two weeks ago or so that he went back to doing the full show and it was a four man booth with is just excessive.

Yeahhhhh you're right, I distinctly remember him calling the opener this week now that you mention it. My mistake